DevilMan03

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greeneville / Headline News / In The News

WGRV “Game of the Weekâ€: Greeneville vs Franklin Co

by Pat Crum | Posted on Friday, September 7th, 2012

The 0-2 Greeneville Greene Devils attempt to right the ship against the undefeated Rebels of Franklin County this Friday night at Burley Stadium.  Kickoff is scheduled for 7pm, that’s thirty minutes earlier than normal.  Why is kickoff scheduled earlier?  Because Franklin County is located in Winchester, TN.  That’s 4 hours and 15 minutes from Greeneville.   Meaning the Rebs will arrive back home in the wee hours of the morning after the 243 mile trip down I-75 South.

So why would Greeneville, a 4A school want to schedule a home and home series against a 6A school from so far away?  Because for the second time in the Shawn Witten Era, Elizabethton dropped Greeneville from the schedule.  A heated rivalry that went back almost every year to the 1940′s came to an end when Coach Witten decided his Cyclones would benefit from playing Tuscola, N.C. rather than the Devils.  A series that always provided a standing room only gate, was replaced by each school playing an opponent that both fan bases don’t know much about.

Elizabethton traveled to Waynesville, NC last season and defeated Tuscola 35-0.  Greeneville made the road trip to Winchester and turned a 14-7 halftime lead into a second half offensive explosion and a 48-14 win.  It didn’t take long for this series to become a rivalry.  During post game hand shakes a member of the Rebels coaching staff didn’t like a late Greeneville deep pass and began shouting at the GHS staff.  Never mind that it was the second team offense that was in on the play, suddenly a rivalry began.

Now it’s time for Franklin County to put up or shut up as they find themselves in an unfamiliar undefeated position.  The Rebels have defeated Howard 35-16, Lebanon 27-6 and showed heart coming back from a 22-9 halftime deficit to beat Shelbyville Central 39-38 in OT last week.  Franklin County will bring their 3 yards and a cloud of dust Wing-T offense, up against a Greeneville Defense that has struggled to stop the run this year.  Koleton Nunley has carried the mail 63 times for 361 yards.  Layton Wells has 38 carries for 286 yards this year.  The Devils gave up 252 yards last year to the Rebels on the ground.

This year the Devils D has seen Science Hill rush for 290 yards, and Morristown West gain 362 on the ground.  Look for the Greene Devils to be much improved after an off week.  Don’t expect to see Franklin County throwing it all over the place.  They were 2 of 4 for 15 yards and an interception last year against the Devil defense.  The Rebs have only thrown it for 58 yards this season.

In last years contest Franklin County played their Corners 10 to 15 yards off the Greene Devils wide receivers.  Greeneville made them pay with screen pass, after screen pass connecting on 18 of 23 attempts for 283 yards, and 3 scores.  Expect Franklin County to press up on the wide outs in an attempt to take away the screen this year.  Speed burners, Hays Culbreath and Trevor Wright are well equipped to take advantage of such adjustments.  Come join us on WGRV, but if you do, you better buckle up your chin straps this week.  The Rebs want revenge, and the Devils are hungry for a win.  Something has to give.  Look for a good one Friday night in Greeneville.

I really hope this was not actually on the radio. I would hope my hometowns radio station would be more professional than this!

I really hope this was not actually on the radio. I would hope my hometowns radio station would be more professional than that

Thank you. I liked the stats/facts but not the unnecessary negativity in between.

With that said, you guys have one heck of a football team. Although I know very little of 4a, I can't imagine there being many teams better than Greenville when they play to their best.

Best of luck for the rest of the season. We'll be glad to get back home and start picking up more yardage and clouds of dust.

So why would Greeneville, a 4A school want to schedule a home and home series against a 6A school from so far away? Because for the second time in the Shawn Witten Era, Elizabethton dropped Greeneville from the schedule. A heated rivalry that went back almost every year to the 1940′s came to an end when Coach Witten decided his Cyclones would benefit from playing Tuscola, N.C. rather than the Devils. A series that always provided a standing room only gate, was replaced by each school playing an opponent that both fan bases don’t know much about.

Not sure what that had to do with the rest of the article. Sounded like some cheap shots. Anyway I came in here to say congrats to Greeneville and hopefully they keep improving and bring E. TN another Gold Ball

It had to do with the article because this is the week Greeneville and E-town use to.play before Elizabethtown decided not to play Ghs once again. Same reason Greeneville had to pick up Mercer co. KY in the 07 and 08 season. It use to be one of the states longest rivalries until 07

I understand, but how it was said was VERY unprofessional! Schools drop other schools all the time, regardless of whether it is a rivalry or not. To call out a coach like that is very unprofessional.

You don't understand the rivalry to much. Still remember having to wear your helmet everywhere while the students threw batteries at you. Dropping a team a month before the season like Elizabethtown did in 07 was very unprofessional too. I don't have a problem calling someone out if it's true

You don't understand the rivalry to much. Still remember having to wear your helmet everywhere while the students threw batteries at you. Dropping a team a month before the season like Elizabethtown did in 07 was very unprofessional too. I don't have a problem calling someone out if it's true