NHSCA Super 32 Tuneup/preseason tournament.

werazzlin

Moon, yes you can coach them at the same location. You must be a "club coach" and not on staff at the HS. Your facility must be santioned through USA and/or AAU and all athletes my have a card as well. We get Cleveland santioned in both because our HS kids need USA and my youth needs AAU. I am not completely sure on the dates but at some point during the year, all facilities are closed to HS wrestlers. As far as youth is concerned there are no restrictions to when you can be in the room with them. Currently, all HS coaches are not allowed to coach or be on the mat with the wrestler's, so once the kids lift and run, Coach Yost leaves and I have a club practice for all the HS kids. Hopes this helps.

Josh Bosken

Higher Calling Wrestling Club

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moon, yes you can coach them at the same location. You must be a "club coach" and not on staff at the HS. Your facility must be santioned through USA and/or AAU and all athletes my have a card as well. We get Cleveland santioned in both because our HS kids need USA and my youth needs AAU. I am not completely sure on the dates but at some point during the year, all facilities are closed to HS wrestlers. As far as youth is concerned there are no restrictions to when you can be in the room with them. Currently, all HS coaches are not allowed to coach or be on the mat with the wrestler's, so once the kids lift and run, Coach Yost leaves and I have a club practice for all the HS kids. Hopes this helps.

Josh Bosken

Higher Calling Wrestling Club

That does, and thanks for the help Josh. It just bothers me that when I show up to coach the club the HS wrestlers are walking out of the gym when they could be coming to my club practices for additional drilling if they chose to do so. Also it would be nice to be able to take some of these kids to tournaments like Dixie and the Grind during the season to get them some exposure at the national level. I think this has been a very helpful and needed conversation in order to advance the sport in our state. We have the talent, we just need to provide all the opportunities possible to our wrestlers.

As brought up before, finances will dictate how much a wrestler can travel for competitions. Also most high school coaches would probably want to have much trust/confidence in a club coach to allow them to work with his HS kids. I’m quite sure Josh Bosken has that type of relationship at Cleveland, but that is not always the case everywhere. Anyone can volunteer to coach high school kids and take them to tournaments, but if the HS coaches and wrestlers are not confident in that club coaches abilities then very few will participate. Dixie Nationals has a high school division but it is poorly represented and probably not worth the trip. The grind is for youth thru middle school only.

Edited by deadlift