Top 5 1A schools as of now?

TheNewGuy

you can eliminate UC from your top ten lists....they will be lucky to even make the playoffs. Hyde went down early inthe first quarter and appears to have a severe concussion (with the new rules I wouldn't look for him back anytime soon.

Now fuzzy where did you get the word severe from? I talked with the team doctor and he said it was not yet determined the extent of the concusion. And said he was done for tonight but not sure about next week. Now I dont know what the rules are but thats what the doctor said. Dude who are you? You talk like you come to all the games and sit in our stands but you post like a hater. If this is how you feel dont come to the games or support the team.

Gordonsville was very tough those few years, they had talent and speed at every position, defense was tough and offense was good but didn't utilize the weapons as well as they could of... Put Boyd out in 2001 then lost to South Pitt , 2002 beat South Pitt and then lost to Boyd, then 2003 I think is when South Pitt was loaded and went 15-0, South Pitt seniors that year had started since they were Soph, very good football team that season...

2007 was that year

Edited by powerp

Now fuzzy where did you get the word severe from? I talked with the team doctor and he said it was not yet determined the extent of the concusion. And said he was done for tonight but not sure about next week. Now I dont know what the rules are but thats what the doctor said. Dude who are you? You talk like you come to all the games and sit in our stands but you post like a hater. If this is how you feel dont come to the games or support the team.

Level of concussion is a pretty simple assessment that can be done rather quickly. I would think the MD was either giving you the "company answer" or the CYA answer.

Concussion is ANY neurological symptoms, fewer than 10 percent of concussions result in loss of consciousness. Symptoms of concussion include dizziness, headache, difficulty in concentrating, disturbances of vision or equilibrium, post-traumatic amnesia (loss of memory for events occurring after the injury referred to as PTA for ease of typing) and loss of consciousness that occurs after an impact to the head (or other area of the body that causes a violent reaction of the head). While the specifics of concussion levels vary from study to study or specific organizations such as National Athletic Trainers Association or American College of Sports Medicine & National Academy of Sports Medicine the overall guidelines are similar. Return to play guidelines (RTP) fall into the same category as far as all are a little different but basically the same. This is a basic outline:

Level 1:

Any neurological symptoms present that resolve within 5-15 minutes (depending on study but majority are 5 now) with no loss of consciousness (LOC) or PTA.

Return to Play:

1st concussion: (in life not that game LOL): varies from when symptoms resolve to when asymptomatic (no symptoms) for 20 minutes.

2nd concussion: 1-2 weeks

3rd: 2-4 weeks at least some say 3 months while others say terminate season.

Level 2:

Any symptoms present for longer than 5-15 minutes (depends on who you ask) with no LOC and PTA less than 30 minutes.

Return to Play:

1st: when asymptomatic for 1 week.

2nd: varies from when 2 weeks after no symptoms for 1 week (3 weeks total) to no symptoms for 1 month with consideration of terminating season.

3rd: no symptoms for 3-6 months most say terminate season.

Level 3:

Any LOC regardless of how brief or PTA of more than 30 minutes (by most guidelines) even without LOC.

Return to play:

1st: no symptoms for 1 week to 1 month.

2nd: no symptoms for 1-6 months most say terminate season.

3rd: no symptoms for at least 3-6 months most say terminate season, many say no return to contact sports ever.

I know this was a very long post but it is a very important topic. Players, parents, team mates, coaches, fans, heck even the band or cheerleaders need to be educated. I know most coaches will probably do the right thing for their players but lets face it some will not. If we are educated then maybe we can help a young person by not allowing them to return when they should not. Here are a couple of links:

www.acsm.org/

www.nasm.org/

www.nata.org/

Soryy for such a long post.

Edited by crow

Thanks Crow that was very informative and well said post. I appreciate the depths you went into with it. Im not sure how sever our boy is hurt but it sounds like a one week out situation with this being his first concussion and it took a while before he could recover from the hit. It was one of those wierd things that didnt look that bad but ended up being bad.