LaVergne @ Smyrna

bigpurpledawg81

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you listen to the WGNS post-game show after the Oakland upset by LHS? SS gave credit to one person - the current principal of the school for trying to get things on the right track there as opposed to the disaster it was turning into.

SS didn't make his wide-outs drop passes that hit them in the hands last night - would have been for big gains. The stats showed it was a mismatch that LHS should have won by 21 points except for the holding calls on every key play and then worst of all...with 1:20 left in the game - being forced to go for the winning 2-pt.-conversion from the 18 instead of the 3. Who were those refs???

Well. LHS got the benefit of some huge bad calls to upset Oakland who would beat them 9 out of 10 times... now horrible officiating came back to cost them a game. What goes around comes around. Oakland doesn't get a rematch with LHS until next year but they can certainly take it out on Smyrna this season still. Oakland and Siegel will put beatdowns of epic proportions on Smyrna. Blackman's back is against the wall right now, so they will probably beat both Smyrna and Lavergne like rented mules.

So does this mean you feel the Bulldogs will get two wins. I have to admit the officiating was horrible, but for both teams. The trash talking had been called all game for both teams. We got two 15 yard penalties assessed at the same time for that very thing. I would have to say that it was evenly bad both ways. I could point out a few calls and no-calls both ways that were bad. Don't forget the holding calls and dropped passes on several third down plays seriously hurt LaVernge's chances.

In response to bad coaching. There isn't a coach on LaVergne's staff that is teaching the art of holding. No way Coach Stevevns has instructed his receivers to drop the ball. In the locker room before the game the LaVergne players were not told to go out and ramp up the trash talking. Give the guy a break and a bit more time. I don't know much about LaVergne football, But I do know that they are in a better spot than they were five years ago.

grizzly will usually find something to complain about with Smyrna. Don't hold and there won't be holding penalties. The officials were equally bad both ways. Each team could not help but get in their own way of winning the game.

I know. I was just seeing if he would throw us a bone a say that we were going to win two games this year. After all we are getting closer to Christmas.

Having to go for "2" from the 18 instead of the 3 WAS a royal screw-job with a minute left and the game on the line. There is no way to sugar-coat that. On the other hand, LHS got the benefit of blown calls to jump out to an 18-7 lead on Oakland (who LHS lost to by 28 last year.) I can't guarantee a Smyrna win over Ravenwood (even though Ravenwood looks like a mediocre JV team this year at best) because they are now due for the officiating screw-go-round to catch up to them. It cost Oakland a game. Then it cost Lavergne a game. Now it's Smyrna's turn to lose one that way. (but even if the officiating is ridiculous, they should still be able to get by a now hapless Ravenwood)

Edited by nrgrizzlies

Having to go for "2" from the 18 instead of the 3 WAS a royal screw-job with a minute left and the game on the line. There is no way to sugar-coat that. On the other hand, LHS got the benefit of blown calls to jump out to an 18-7 lead on Oakland (who LHS lost to by 28 last year.) I can't guarantee a Smyrna win over Ravenwood (even though Ravenwood looks like a mediocre JV team this year at best) because they are now due for the officiating screw-go-round to catch up to them. It cost Oakland a game. Then it cost Lavergne a game. Now it's Smyrna's turn to lose one that way. (but even if the officiating is ridiculous, they should still be able to get by a now hapless Ravenwood)

No they had to go for two because they don't have anyone that is able to kick an extra point. This has been a problem for them all year. So They were going for two because they had no other option.They had to go for two from the 18 because of a penalty. I don't know what was said or done to get the penalty. But put that aside for a moment. Are you saying that the refs should have swallowed the whistle because there was one minute left in the game? Now who would have gotten screwed? Again I dont know what was said but that kind of stuff got called all night for both teams. Just because it happend to LaVergne with 1 minute to go doesn't mean it they got screwed. It means they apparently put themselves in a bad situation. It was compounded due to the fact that they can't kick a chipshot fieldgoal. But thanks for the vote of confidence against Ravenwood.

It was a raw deal. It should not have been called. (looked like an LHS play far far from the TD on the way back to the sidelines did some sort of "choke" sign in celebration of what looked like an impending Smyrna loss...if that is what it was - it should NOT have been called...no way)

Congrats on the tainted "win" and the eventual 1.5 win season.

No they had to go for two because they don't have anyone that is able to kick an extra point. This has been a problem for them all year. So They were going for two because they had no other option.They had to go for two from the 18 because of a penalty. I don't know what was said or done to get the penalty. But put that aside for a moment. Are you saying that the refs should have swallowed the whistle because there was one minute left in the game? Now who would have gotten screwed? Again I dont know what was said but that kind of stuff got called all night for both teams. Just because it happend to LaVergne with 1 minute to go doesn't mean it they got screwed. It means they apparently put themselves in a bad situation. It was compounded due to the fact that they can't kick a chipshot fieldgoal. But thanks for the vote of confidence against Ravenwood.

It should not have been called. At an absolute crucial point in the game the officials need to avoid the subjective calls and let the players decide the winner.

It was a raw deal. It should not have been called. (looked like an LHS play far far from the TD on the way back to the sidelines did some sort of "choke" sign in celebration of what looked like an impending Smyrna loss...if that is what it was - it should NOT have been called...no way)

Congrats on the tainted "win" and the eventual 1.5 win season.

Tainted win and 1.5 win season. Whatever helps you sleep at night.