3A Top Ten

coachrus

Lots of shakeup in the 3A Top Ten this week with losses for Sullivan North, Camden and Milan. Here is how I see it:

1. Alcoa 4-1

2. CAK 5-0

3. CPA 4-0

4. Cheatham County 5-0

5. South Gibson 5-0

6. Milan 3-1

7. Tyner Academy 4-1

8. Camden 3-1

9. Fairview 3-2

10. Kingston 5-0

For 4 weeks I have had CAK as #1, but based on the Loudon games by Alcoa and CAK and based on the number of points (34) that Stone Memorial scored against CAK compared to the other 3 teams that Stone Memorial played (a combined 1 touchdown), I have moved Alcoa ahead of CAK based on the comparative play on the field. There is no doubt that CAK has an explosive offense, but their defense raises many questions marks. Thus Alcoa has earned the #1 ranking IMHO.

Feedback welcomed.

coachrus: I can't argue any of those picks that you have listed. Westmoreland and Hickman County are two other 3A schools that are off to great starts this year. I am anxious to see the playoff rankings come out after next Friday's games

The 9 and 10 spots are sometimes the hardest to fill out. There are several teams knocking at the door this week; however, I thought Westmoreland's loss to White House kept them out of the top ten (also I'm not sure if Goodpasture still has 13 starters out for school rules issues, so it it hard to know how good the Goodpasture team is that Westmoreland beat). The size of Hickman's 49-6 loss to Giles kept them out of the top ten this week. I know Giles is a good 4A team, but that was a blow out. Hickman plays Fairview Friday night and that game should tell us a lot about both teams.

The 9 and 10 spots are sometimes the hardest to fill out. There are several teams knocking at the door this week; however, I thought Westmoreland's loss to White House kept them out of the top ten (also I'm not sure if Goodpasture still has 13 starters out for school rules issues, so it it hard to know how good the Goodpasture team is that Westmoreland beat). The size of Hickman's 49-6 loss to Giles kept them out of the top ten this week. I know Giles is a good 4A team, but that was a blow out. Hickman plays Fairview Friday night and that game should tell us a lot about both teams.

I hate to repeat myself on this issue but I asked Goodpasture parent friday mourning at my work about the suspended kids. I was told there were 15 kicked off the team. She stated to me there were 6 and 3 of them could have been difference makers. I dont know if I'd put Westmoreland in the top 10 just yet but I think Westmoreland is on the level playing field with White House. At the time we played them our sophmore QB had only started one previous game. He is getting better every week and so is our line. Far as Defense goes we are very solid. We have 2 shut down corners in DJ Smith and Hodge. However we also suspended one of our best D lineman for the season Wed. before the goodpasture game but we still whipped the bigger cougar team up front. I am thankful we are mentioned as being in the top ten once again. Our kids are playing with some confidence this year. It should only keep building with every win.

I hate to repeat myself on this issue but I asked Goodpasture parent friday mourning at my work about the suspended kids. I was told there were 15 kicked off the team. She stated to me there were 6 and 3 of them could have been difference makers. I dont know if I'd put Westmoreland in the top 10 just yet but I think Westmoreland is on the level playing field with White House. At the time we played them our sophmore QB had only started one previous game. He is getting better every week and so is our line. Far as Defense goes we are very solid. We have 2 shut down corners in DJ Smith and Hodge. However we also suspended one of our best D lineman for the season Wed. before the goodpasture game but we still whipped the bigger cougar team up front. I am thankful we are mentioned as being in the top ten once again. Our kids are playing with some confidence this year. It should only keep building with every win.

It has been a bit confusing understanding who is playing and not playing at GP. I have heard four different versions of who is out. Not to take anything away from Westmoreland, but I just don't know how to evaluate GP at this point. No matter, the next two games for Westmoreland are Sycamore and Gordonsville. Both are 3-1. If they win both, then they have a strong case for a top ten ranking.

I would have to move Milan down to 9 or 10. Very overrated this yr.

You may be right. I'm just not sure who would jump over Milan at this point. The three teams that Tyner Academy have beaten have combined record of 2-11, the five teams that Kingson have beaten have only 2 wins between them. Fairview has 2 losses. Maybe Camden since they lost to a good Cheatham County team. I think #6 is about right but wouldn't argue with #7.

Lots of shakeup in the 3A Top Ten this week with losses for Sullivan North, Camden and Milan. Here is how I see it:

1. Alcoa 4-1

2. CAK 5-0

3. CPA 4-0

4. Cheatham County 5-0

5. South Gibson 5-0

6. Milan 3-1

7. Tyner Academy 4-1

8. Camden 3-1

9. Fairview 3-2

10. Kingston 5-0

For 4 weeks I have had CAK as #1, but based on the Loudon games by Alcoa and CAK and based on the number of points (34) that Stone Memorial scored against CAK compared to the other 3 teams that Stone Memorial played (a combined 1 touchdown), I have moved Alcoa ahead of CAK based on the comparative play on the field. There is no doubt that CAK has an explosive offense, but their defense raises many questions marks. Thus Alcoa has earned the #1 ranking IMHO.

Feedback welcomed.

No surprise to me that anyone would move Alcoa in front of my CAK Warriors. While we are the defending state champions (I love being able to say that, ha) that was last year and this is a new season. CAK is as good as advertised on the offensive side of the ball but in need of much improvement defensively to make another run at the championship. I am hopeful that we will find a way to bolster the defensive performance. Alcoa looks very tough and their defense is certainly ahead of where CAK's is at this time. I still believe that Alcoa or CAK will be crowned champion this year but of course that is not a certainty with CPA and some other good teams making some noise. Good luck to all.

Even though CAK has had some scores put up on them the fact is they are still undefeated in Conference Play and should still be number one until the are knocked Off.

That is certainly a valid point and an argument to make. No doubt that CAK is a great team and deserve a lot of praise and accolades, but when you look at the comparative scores of the same opponents, you have to give Alcoa the #1 slot IMHO.