Baylor vs mccallie

reddad

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His relationship with coaches, players and parents became uncomfortable at BA for many reasons. That will not happen at McCallie. Thus the reason he left. It's a more comfortable coaching job with the expectations for state championships less than at BA. He has been successful at McCallie and he will be in the future.

Baylor 28

McCallie 17

Shakin...you keep pointing to BA's state championship "expectations". McCallie has just as many state championships in DII as BA--one--in 2006. If State championships were the expectation, then one in the last 15 years is a failure.

McCallie didn't blink to replace its coach from last year with Potter when he was available--so, I would argue that McCallie's expectations are high too. DII is a tough league.

As a BA fan, I wish we had won more. However, it's a numbers game, and since 1997, only 3 (I think) co-ed schools have won a state championship--Ryan, EHS, and BA. The rest are all boys.

I think the edge in DII goes to the schools with a large male population, and they are all taking football more seriously. High school football isn't a business like college. My expectation is for BA to play to its potential. If we lose to a more talented team, that's ok. I just want the team to play its best, and I think coaching, like teaching, should be held to that standard of excellence. I want to win, but to the BA fan that expects multiple championships--that may be an unrealistic expectation.

Potter is a great coach (The best I've seen), his mistake was you can rarely replace a legend like Carlton Flatt and match his success, ask all the coaches that followed Bear Bryant. BA will not be happy with any coach for some time. You have to understand that McCallie has military school roots and its still lingers there which fits his style, BA is more liberal not fitting his coaching style as much.

I dissagree, Ensworth has had the best talent the last few years in state of TN. Few give credit to their great OL. they are fun to watch. They rarely miss blocks and they man up with anyone.

Baylor has had more talent than BA in my opinion. Most of BA's success was prior to Ensworth program which few account for this fact.

Finally, ESPNU is crazy for not carry this game on their HS network. It is a true gem and one of the best in the country.

Turnovers will decide the game.

McCallie wins 21-20. Don't miss it.

I just want the team to play its best

Come on Doct....."play it's best". That philosopy will motivate the team. I would hope each and every player, coach and fan at BA starts each year with the expectation to win the state championship. Potter had outstanding talent in 5 yrs at BA. Lost 2 championship games, lost 2 semi-final games but got embarrassed last year. Every team he coached set a goal to win state, not play its best.

Edited by shakinthefat

I dissagree, Ensworth has had the best talent the last few years in state of TN. Few give credit to their great OL. they are fun to watch. They rarely miss blocks and they man up with anyone.

Baylor has had more talent than BA in my opinion. Most of BA's success was prior to Ensworth program which few account for this fact.

Jalen Ramsey, '13, #11 player overall nationally, USC commit; Graham Shuler, 12, #21 OT nationally, Stanford; Alex Bullard, 09, #15 OT nationally, signed with Notre Dame; Chris Jordan, '08, #22 Athlete nationally, Alabama; Mike Berry, 06', #15 OG nationally, Auburn; Max Staver, '13, #32 pro-style quarterback nationally, Florida; Al Thompson, '12, WR, originally verbal with Arizona or Arizona State, signed with Chattanooga; Woody Baron, '12, DE, Virginia Tech; Derek King, '11, ATH, Vanderbilt; Thad McHaney, '10, #43 TE nationally, Vanderbilt; AJ Greene, '06, #50 DE nationally, Auburn; Ryan Carrethers, '09, DL, Arkansas State; Nathan Renfro, 11, K, Maryland; Jabaree McKissack, '08, LB, Navy; William Beaird, '11, DB, Navy; Joshua Tate, '10, RB, Navy...

Those are just in the past few years, and just FBS signees/commitments. Ensworth might get to that total quick but so far it's not close. Some of the BA's most productive players signed FCS it seemed.

Baylor is even further behind.

And I know star ratings and rankings on a 6.1 scale don't always tell the whole story but more often than not they're on target.

The best coach you've seen? Pretty interesting comment. It says a lot about a coach when they lose the respect of their assistants and the players, and frankly the student athletes in all sports. It had absolutely nothing to do with wins or losses. And those are the facts. Not sure you understand that. No one will win the argument as to who had the most talent. Who cares? The simple fact is BA did not play up to their potential. Suffice to say i'm pretty sure all interested parties on all sides re: potter leaving BA and going to mccallie are extremely pleased with the outcome - incl the players (and they count the most). As for mccallie and baylor, good luck to both. I'm sure it will be a great game with lots of passion

This game will be fun. Baylor has to be frustrated after blowing a lead against MBA and getting blown out by Ensworth. McCallie has some momentum after beating a struggling Father Ryan team. I'll admit I haven't seen either team play and am picking based on other indicators.

My pick: Baylor 24, McCallie 17

I'm looking forward to making trips to both these schools later this fall when BA comes to town.

Edited by WesVLT

Come on Doct....."play it's best". That philosopy will motivate the team. I would hope each and every player, coach and fan at BA starts each year with the expectation to win the state championship. Potter had outstanding talent in 5 yrs at BA. Lost 2 championship games, lost 2 semi-final games but got embarrassed last year. Every team he coached set a goal to win state, not play its best.

Personally, I think if BA had played its best the last few years, they would have won state championships. The two are not mutually exclusive. I hear more great coaches saying they want their team to execute, give it their best each play, and the result will follow. That's what I mean.

By the way, I think McCallie wins.

Edited by doct