Bruce Lussier on the Hot Seat?

mustachiomenace

just thought i'd add to the freshman comparison. I don't think it is valid at all. For ex - BA has freshmen and sophs who start on varsity and/or see a lot of the field on friday nites so none of those play in any freshmen or JV games. A few of those boys already have serious DI offers and are only sophs. I suspect it is that way at MBA and ensworth also. My point, some of the guys playing the f-men and even JV games will not get much playing time on varsity even when they are jrs and srs. Can't really use that as a measurement to determine where the process is working or not working vs stronger varsity competition

I think the previous post had it correct. Ryan should not lose their feeder school athletes. Many of the parochial school athletes are choosing to go to other schools such as an MBA, Ensworth, BA. Ryan can't afford to lose the athletes that should naturally be coming to their school. That is the coaching staff's responsibility.

It is sad to see Ryan go so far away from the traditions it once held in football. Hard nose tough football. In 1997 when they won the state title, they did not have one Division I scholarship athlete but their heart and desire and love for the game, their teammates, and their coaches they played hard and won on desire. Ryan went astray when they hired people that knew nothing of their tradition nor had any chemistry with the players and families. Hopefully, Ryan can find a way to get it back.

I think the previous post had it correct. Ryan should not lose their feeder school athletes. Many of the parochial school athletes are choosing to go to other schools such as an MBA, Ensworth, BA. Ryan can't afford to lose the athletes that should naturally be coming to their school. That is the coaching staff's responsibility.

It is sad to see Ryan go so far away from the traditions it once held in football. Hard nose tough football. In 1997 when they won the state title, they did not have one Division I scholarship athlete but their heart and desire and love for the game, their teammates, and their coaches they played hard and won on desire. Ryan went astray when they hired people that knew nothing of their tradition nor had any chemistry with the players and families. Hopefully, Ryan can find a way to get it back.

All very good points. However, I dont believe the best way to get it back is to recruit/give scholarships on the level ensworth, mba, and ba do. In my opinion, recruiting at the high level is outrageous anyway.In Father Ryan's case, they're recruiting these kids that have no connection to the school or have any sense of its tradition. Then to compensate for these kids getting a free ride, the tuition is raised which places a stress on some of large Catholic families that send their kids there.If they're going to recruit athletes, at least go after the ones from these feeder schools who are deciding to go elsewhere.

All very good points. However, I dont believe the best way to get it back is to recruit/give scholarships on the level ensworth, mba, and ba do. In my opinion, recruiting at the high level is outrageous anyway.In Father Ryan's case, they're recruiting these kids that have no connection to the school or have any sense of its tradition. Then to compensate for these kids getting a free ride, the tuition is raised which places a stress on some of large Catholic families that send their kids there.If they're going to recruit athletes, at least go after the ones from these feeder schools who are deciding to go elsewhere.

I may be wrong, but it appears that you do not understand that ALL financial aid at ALL D-2 schools is need-based. Simply put, there are no "scholarships" for athletes at any of these schools.

I know virtually nothing about the inner workings of the Ryan football program and am totally puzzled by its fairly recent decline. Personally, I thought it would go the other way given their recent upgrades in facilities and the tremendous effort in moving the games to the campus. I wish them the best in getting back to where they used to be.

redrobin - you are correct. An outside entity determines the need not the school. This discussion has had threads and threads and threads in the past and i'm sure another would pop up from this one but there are so many misperceptions about aid at private schools incl the full ride thing. Don't know of any school giving "full rides" but i can speak very clearly for the one i support and i know for fact there is no such thing. back to football FR indeed has fantastic facilities. I sure wish all DII AA teams could improve and improve - helps every school and sure makes the games much more fun to watch.

I may be wrong, but it appears that you do not understand that ALL financial aid at ALL D-2 schools is need-based. Simply put, there are no "scholarships" for athletes at any of these schools.

I know virtually nothing about the inner workings of the Ryan football program and am totally puzzled by its fairly recent decline. Personally, I thought it would go the other way given their recent upgrades in facilities and the tremendous effort in moving the games to the campus. I wish them the best in getting back to where they used to be.

I understand that it is need based, but I know parents with kids at the parochial schools, who are exceptional athletes, but can't afford to send them to Ryan. These are the kids Father Ryan should be going after. But again, I think the "financial aid" thing for athletes is ridiculous. The situation has gotten out of control if you ask me. Let's not forget the recent MBA scandal. MBA was unfortunate in getting caught, but I doubt occurrences like that are only going on at MBA... Bowers was probably sweating bulletes over there at Ensworth when that story broke out.

And don't tell me it's all in the name of giving underprivileged kids a good education. It's all about the athletic endeavors of the school.

Edited by thebruce

redrobin - you are correct. An outside entity determines the need not the school. This discussion has had threads and threads and threads in the past and i'm sure another would pop up from this one but there are so many misperceptions about aid at private schools incl the full ride thing. Don't know of any school giving "full rides" but i can speak very clearly for the one i support and i know for fact there is no such thing. back to football FR indeed has fantastic facilities. I sure wish all DII AA teams could improve and improve - helps every school and sure makes the games much more fun to watch.

you are right, but.......at MBA, BA, and EHS, there is more money to give....there's no limit to how many people can be on financial aid (awarded properly by a 3rd party)....my guess is that at all 3 places, the number is close to 50% receiving some sort of financial aid; a much higher % than when I was there 20+ years ago. At FRHS, there is a lot less to go around, as I understand it.

I had lunch with a good FRHS-alum friend of mine recently who shared something interesting....he's a former player from my era, as frustrated with the program as the other FRHS posters on here about its current state. He said that there is one really, really wealthy Nashvillian who is Catholic (not an alum of the school) that could single-handedly cure a lot of FRHS' ills with his wallet....highly active in the church, engaged in all the local Catholic schools, big sports fan....but won't give a dime to FRHS and instead is kicking around the idea of creating an all-boys Catholic school in Nashville.....take that FWIW....

you are right, but.......at MBA, BA, and EHS, there is more money to give....there's no limit to how many people can be on financial aid (awarded properly by a 3rd party)....my guess is that at all 3 places, the number is close to 50% receiving some sort of financial aid; a much higher % than when I was there 20+ years ago. At FRHS, there is a lot less to go around, as I understand it.

12.5 per cent of the students at Ensworth receive some financial aid.

Per school web sites:

MBA 22%

MUS 30%

Baylor 31%

McCallie 30% (non-boarding students)

46% (boarding students)

Edited by RedRobin

BRBB - i hear you but i can also tell you that the number of people receiving aid is 1/2 of the number you suggest - at BA at least- and again i know that for fact. And those getting it far outweigh the football guys getting it. Most the best players on the BA football team do not receive one penny. I actually disagree with much of this thread when it comes to bldg a great pgm based upon being able to pay the best kids. Reputation plays a big big role in attracting kids. We have 7-10 players at our house every wk, some all wkend. If you get them to be really honest with you, they all think they will not only play at a DI school but maybe play pro ball. Parents have kids go to the pgm they think will get them to the next level. yes i' m not naive and know that bucks play a part in some but ensworth for ex is attracting many of the best players these days as folks think that will get their kids into AL, LSU, Fla - you name it. I guess people will argue that behind the scenes there is "rule breaking " going on. Again not naive to think that might not be the case but it is sure easy for folks to make that their 1st argument

12.5 per cent of the students at Ensworth receive some financial aid.

Per school web sites:

MBA 22%

MUS 30%

Baylor 31%

McCallie 30% (non-boarding students)

46% (boarding students)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that 12.5% number includes the lower school. The number for just the high school would be substantially higher. If there are 423 students in the high school, 25% is probably a more accurate number being that the majority of the awards go to high school students.

Any idea how many students receive full tuition?

This is true, however, the administration decides after the 3rd party has qualified all applications. For example, Father Ryan lost an athlete when a competing school was able to cover more money that allowed the student to pay for books. Cory Harris does a good job of identifying targets but Ryan needs to pull at least 8 a year to make a difference. This would also keep others from the feeding system more inclined to go to Ryan as well. Ryan has far more students on financial aid than any other Div 2 2a school.

Look, Ryan has the money and does not give only to Athlete's. It is a 5 part situation.

1- if you recruit your feeder schools and do not allow them to think of other schools you win. Not every Student MBA gets that comes from a Ryan Feeder school is on scholarship. They are However on some kind of financial aid.

2- It is the Coach's responsibility to goto the schools and speak to the kids or goto the Churches and encourage the kids to attend the school. This has NEVER been done to my knowledge, Only if the kids are on his campus has he done anything.

3- The administration is at Fault. For some 17 years ago they devalued Athletics and cut the budget for athletics at Ryan.

4- The Alumni is at fault, for allowing this insult to keep going on.

5- it is the Boards fault and responsibility to make the changes to bring a once storied programs back to the promised land.

If you ask me. Someone mend fences with James "Boots" Donnelly. Get his input and make the tough needed changes to the Administration, Coaches and Alumni relations at the school. Blow up what has been a disgrace for the past 15 years.

Edited by DirectorP