who is the best player in tennessee right now?

iknowmorethanyou

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Elder is faster and quicker. Elder runs like an antelope and has a second gear like no other. I will admit Hurd looks pretty dang fast himself on film . Obviously with his length it would be hard to be as quick as Elder. Nobody can catch Elder in Tennessee and that includes this big name college prospects he plays against. Two different types of players but both very very good. I would be willing to bet at whatever colleges they end up at Elder will be a corner because they will say he's too small and Hurd will be a receiver because they will say hes too tall. I will say this though. Elder has suprising power for his size and is great at runs in the middle and Hurd from what Ive seen is more elusive than you would think for someone his size. Tremendous players!

So Elder runs a sub-4.37? I wasn't aware of that.

Hurd is good but I did not see 4.37 speed, he was caught several times in the MJ game... He is just a junior right? He can work on several things to make him a more complete back.. He does see the field well and is a north/south runner, makes cuts very well...

I've read many times where it appears that Hurd doesn't look that fast, but any guy 6'3 is not going to look as fast as some guy 5'8 covering the same ground. As far as the MJ game, they most certainly put a pounding on him. He could hardly walk after that game, so if he appeared a little slower, then that's probably why.

I have seen both Corn Elder and Jalen Hurd and their abilities are both capable of being described the state's best. Corn Elder is quick, explosive, and reminds me of a Deangelo Williams (former Memphis/Carolina Panther) while Jalen Hurd is a little bigger physically and runs both strong in the open field yet punishing when he's met at the line of scrimmage. Given his stature, he's an Eddie George style runner with very good speed given his size. Both are very talented and have great future ahead!..I hope they both stay healthy...and hope they both stay "in state" in the post high school careers!

p.s. Do not leave out Reeves-Maybin at Clarksville Northeast....he too is a difference maker and among the state's elite! He too will make a difference on Saturdays next Fall!

I noticed that most people on this thread are speaking about offensive players, but as far as the best defensive player in Tennessee it has to be #5 Dedrick Guy from Memphis Fairley. This 6'3" 220lb Linebacker plays with passion. He is a man among boys. He is around the ball every play. When he tackles you, he makes sure you feel it. I havent seen a Linebacker this good in the Memphis or West Tennessee area in a long long time. He has tackles for losses, sacks and interceptions returned for touchdowns. Dedrick Guy is definitely a beast on the field.

You said, " I havent seen a Linebacker this good in the Memphis or West Tennessee area in a long long time."

By long time do you mean '08 when Whitehaven had Tank Wright who is currently Starting for Arkansas OR '09 when Whitehaven had Derrick Webb who is currently Starting for Colorado? Just saying

Best players I have (in person) still in HS -

Sunday talent - Jason Carr (DE) Whitestation- listed at 6-6 259, looks very lean with room to add plenty, fast, quick, aggressive, strong, regularly beats doubles and triples, and yet appears to have unlimited upside. This young man has a big future.

Saturday night talent-

Drew Reed (DR.) because of his accuracy under pressure- (QB) Arlington - 6-2 190, currently hurt. He has an special ability to escape while seeing the whole field and deliver the ball. Extremely accurate. 1st round playoff game of 2011 was 28 of 28. Has 4.5-4.6 speed, but throws 1st, runs 2nd. quick as well with wiggle. Clucth time grinder, wants the ball at the end of game, loves the pressure.

Dodson (RB) Whitehaven- "blink" and then you see him handing the ball to referee. No need to say anythig else.

Webber (RB) Millington- might be under radar because of past RBs on team, but is a powerful runner with low CG, fast, wiggle, hands. everything you look for.

Lewis Edwards (DE), 6-3 250 Arlington- strong, fast big motor. tireless. big hitter, thumper. (ACL) out.

Question for KWC-BHS . ...How do you think Whitehaven's 2010 and 2011 seasons would have ended had Reed been on your team? I would love to see Reed behind a big Oline, I think he would be just about unstoppable.

Edited by JamieWiley

No way Elder is faster than Hurd. I've watched them both in person, and Elder just seems faster and quicker because he is smaller. I guarantee Hurd runs a faster 40 and is faster on field with the pads on.

With that said, Elder is a D1 talent and will probably get red-shirted and plenty of playing time once he finally gets on the field on the collegiate level.

And two opposite types of backs. Elder is more of a juke and make you miss shifty type of back.

Hurd is a juke and make you miss shifty type of back. Plus he runs over 98% of tacklers, that's what separates him from Elder.

Oh same reason why I think Jalen Hurd is a better player. He is SEC size to play running back while Elder would need to put on some weight. I think Jalen Hurd is the real deal, I really want to see him play in the orange and white in the future.

Best players I have (in person) still in HS -

Sunday talent - Jason Carr (DE) Whitestation- listed at 6-6 259, looks very lean with room to add plenty, fast, quick, aggressive, strong, regularly beats doubles and triples, and yet appears to have unlimited upside. This young man has a big future.

Saturday night talent-

Drew Reed (DR.) because of his accuracy under pressure- (QB) Arlington - 6-2 190, currently hurt. He has an special ability to escape while seeing the whole field and deliver the ball. Extremely accurate. 1st round playoff game of 2011 was 28 of 28. Has 4.5-4.6 speed, but throws 1st, runs 2nd. quick as well with wiggle. Clucth time grinder, wants the ball at the end of game, loves the pressure.

Dodson (RB) Whitehaven- "blink" and then you see him handing the ball to referee. No need to say anythig else.

Webber (RB) Millington- might be under radar because of past RBs on team, but is a powerful runner with low CG, fast, wiggle, hands. everything you look for.

Lewis Edwards (DE), 6-3 250 Arlington- strong, fast big motor. tireless. big hitter, thumper. (ACL) out.

Question for KWC-BHS . ...How do you think Whitehaven's 2010 and 2011 seasons would have ended had Reed been on your team? I would love to see Reed behind a big Oline, I think he would be just about unstoppable.

I'll answer your question like this... I don't think the QB play of Timmarious "T-Money" Mitchell was a problem more so than untimely/suspect play calling during Crunch time of big games was.

In the State Title game against Maryville last season Mark Dodson got less than 15 touches I do believe. icon_eek.gif

In the Semi-Final game against Smyrna an untimely pass play call was our undoing, after Dodson had just broke a big run no less... icon_e_confused.gif

I was going to TRY to give a diplomatic Answer, but I can't. #17, Timmarious was a good QB for us. I really enjoyed watching his development from a Freshman to his Senior season. Drew Reed is good, D@MN Near Great, but Mark Dodson aka Mark Jr. is irreplaceable for Whitehaven.

Edited by BlackHavenSenator