Screaming coaches..

tistheseason

Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me. (ever heard of that). Get some backbone, back in the real football days when a hit was a hit and not a personal, coaches threw balls at us, cussed us, pushed us, slapped us upside the helmet and made real football players out of us. I still respect that ole cuss. We weren't allowed to lay on the field hurt unless we were broke and bleeding was part of the game. If broke,we were told to get off the field if we had to crawl. If your too prima-dona to play football, maybe tennis or track is for you.

Edited by hootowlhollow

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me. (ever heard of that). Get some backbone, back in the real football days when a hit was a hit and not a personal, coaches threw balls at us, cussed us, pushed us, slapped us upside the helmet and made real football players out of us. I still respect that ole cuss. We weren't allowed to lay on the field hurt unless we were broke and bleeding was part of the game. If broke,we were told to get off the field if we had to crawl. If your too prima-dona to play football, maybe tennis or track is for you.

I love this post. This is exactly how are coach was minus the pushing and slapping. He did throw balls at us. I'm just glad to know somebody else had a coach like that.

Matters with the young men your working with... Some will take to it like a fish to water and will become twice the player they were; others will shut everything out and hide in a cacoon. You have to know your players.

You hit the nail on the head,that is why you coach them,you have to find that THING that motivates different kids.

You must have played for the same coach i did,and we won a state championship with him.That was real football,take your skirt off Nancy and let them boys drop!

You must have played for the same coach i did,and we won a state championship with him.That was real football,take your skirt off Nancy and let them boys drop!

That was my grammer school coach lol. He moved to Georgia and won some High School championships later. Still see him around ballgames every once and a while. Still has the flat top cut lol.

take out the urinals and just make everybody squat to pee now days

Edited by hootowlhollow

Here is my take after reading some of the comments. I have no problem with a coach "motivating" a player with well thought out words with an antimated voice. However this should be done in a locker room, not in front of everyone. Some of the best coaches are stern but in control. Sometimes I think the coaches that some of us older ones had yelled with a purpose not just to be yelling. Coaches get upset when people are yelling their name in a negative way from the stands, so why do coaches assusme a kid feels any different. The only time I want to see a player get it from a coach as I am in the stands is for being disrespectful! Any other time I think a GOOD coach will save the "motivating" for the locker room.

Here is my take after reading some of the comments. I have no problem with a coach "motivating" a player with well thought out words with an antimated voice. However this should be done in a locker room, not in front of everyone. Some of the best coaches are stern but in control. Sometimes I think the coaches that some of us older ones had yelled with a purpose not just to be yelling. Coaches get upset when people are yelling their name in a negative way from the stands, so why do coaches assusme a kid feels any different. The only time I want to see a player get it from a coach as I am in the stands is for being disrespectful! Any other time I think a GOOD coach will save the "motivating" for the locker room.

I DISAGREE COMPLETLY!Half time can be a quarter and a half away,you can lose a game in that amount of time.Sometimes you have to use what ever method other than physical abuse to get what you know the kid has in him out.Coaches are coaches they yell spit swear.Their used to be a football code of ethics,what happens on the field whether its pract or game STAYS on the field!This game was not made for the tender hearted it is a collision sport stuff gets hurt even feelings.Play the game!!!!This is the greatest game ever invented for making boys into men,please dont ruin it with feelings!I have personally been one of those yelling coaches,sometimes you embarrass your sef then sometimes you see a kid come out of his shell and be an unbelievable player.The same parent that said to me man you are a little intense with those lineman dont you think,at the end of the year said wow i would have never thought he would have been such a good player,sometimes its not pretty but it works with some kids,you have to feel them out.Watch GQ at maryville probably the best coach in the state of TN,he is real layed back,but when he needs to he will get all up in your stuff!

Good stuff!! If coaches today coached like they did back then, 80% of the parents would have them locked up. The kids today have it easy, and it shows by how soft our society has become. I will leave you with something you will like. We had a coach that came up with a great idea of how to make us come off of the ball quicker. He had a wooden paddle that was three foot long, one inch thick, and he had a handle at the end that he could grab with both hands like a baseball bat. Well we would get in our stance and one coach would call out the cadence, while this coach would stand slightly to the side and behind you. When the one coach said hut, this coach would swing that paddle (hard), and if you weren't gone out of your stance, you got popped. It only took getting hit with that thing one time, and you made sure you got out of the way the next time. I think we may have had the quickest line off of the ball that year in school history. The funny thing is, when we went home and told dad about it, he laughed and said, I guess you better get quicker, so you don't get hit. Today, they would have the cops out there the next day.

I will say there is a lot more to "teach" these days. Offense and defense is far more complex than our days.

I still remember my dad telling Coach Hamlett to "whip the %#*! out of me if I didn't get in", lol. Trust me it never crossed my mind to even think about in in my sleep about talking back to him or even making strong eye contact. Although he's long gone I still think about and respect him now.

Bull-in-the-ring, fights every practice, kicks in the arse, slinging you around by your face mask, Oklahoma, absolutely no water allowed in practice, (salt tablets only), and the tobacco juice flying into your face mask while they were talking gently to ya, lol. Yep parents would call the law today.

I think it's a case by case situation. If they are constantly screaming then they probably didn't teach it right in the first place. I believe it's necessary in situations although a good coach knows his players. Some can't handle it today. Ours doesn't actually scream but if he goes off you can hear a pin drop! ph34r.png

I DISAGREE COMPLETLY!Half time can be a quarter and a half away,you can lose a game in that amount of time.Sometimes you have to use what ever method other than physical abuse to get what you know the kid has in him out.Coaches are coaches they yell spit swear.Their used to be a football code of ethics,what happens on the field whether its pract or game STAYS on the field!This game was not made for the tender hearted it is a collision sport stuff gets hurt even feelings.Play the game!!!!This is the greatest game ever invented for making boys into men,please dont ruin it with feelings!I have personally been one of those yelling coaches,sometimes you embarrass your sef then sometimes you see a kid come out of his shell and be an unbelievable player.The same parent that said to me man you are a little intense with those lineman dont you think,at the end of the year said wow i would have never thought he would have been such a good player,sometimes its not pretty but it works with some kids,you have to feel them out.Watch GQ at maryville probably the best coach in the state of TN,he is real layed back,but when he needs to he will get all up in your stuff!

So I guess now a days those in athority over you can yell and get on you to make you better. I am not buying it! I too am a coach and from time to time I yell. I have no problem a getting in a kids grill, but why can't I pull them close to me and give them a stern, "get your head out of year rear" talking to that is between me and him. Truth is when a man loses his head, he makes no sense. All I am saying is make corrections with instruction during game time, save your yelling for the locker room.

Pure and simple... If "screaming" offends you, you really have no place on or near a football field!

I think some of you are missing my point. I am not against screaming. There is an art to it! I don't mind if the coach come to the group and challanges them with tough words, "screaming if you will". I just hate to see a coach scream at a kid individually in front of everyone, with the exception of a personal foul or total disrespect. When a kid is put on an island and screamed at in front of everyone I think it can back fire. However, I do understand some kids can be motivated by it and others will shut down. A good coach knows thier players. I just know FOOTBALL coaches have to be careful because so many times a kid may get yelled at, later after watching the film they find out they were yelling at the wrong kid. I like to see the coach that pulls the kid close to him and give him the business where he and the player are the only ones to know what is being said. I am just saying if everyone in the stands can hear it, your just making a fool of yourself.