Gerry Bertier's Playoff Predictions Part II After Week 10

Gerry Bertier

Great point Charlie, but you will have to admit that for a team finishing 4th in the district getting seeding over you is pretty frustrating. Point also under your playoff system Sweetwater would not be in, but now a higher seed???????????

Just pull for AE, I think if they make it in they'll most likely be in Quad 2, at 4-6 and lock McCentral in at a #7 seed. That gives you a 99.8% chance of a first round trip to Larry G Davis football complex. That's better than up their by that painted bridge!

Edited by Charlie Murphy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just pull for AE, I think if they make it in they'll most likely be in Quad 2, at 4-6 and lock McCentral in at a #7 seed. That gives you a 99.8% chance of a first round trip to Larry G Davis football complex. That's better than up their by that painted bridge!

Agreed, and I think it would be fun to play the big red machine again.

Actually I don't agree because some teams then could get points by just playing a higher class team that is winless. Just because you play a higher class team doesn't make that team a quality opponent. I am in favor of going back to the 5 class system and the games that matter are your region games. That way teams can go out and schedule tough games and not be punished.

I second that and as good as you are with these projections I think you should have a vote with the Board of Controls

This is crazy. You beat somebody on the field and they are seeded higher when it is obvious MCentral has a tougher schedule. This model should push coaches to play lower class teams in order to have a better win/loss record. Sweetwater played 3 lower class opponents and no 6A schools. MCentral played 6A school that hold a 8-1 record and no teams that are in a lower classification. Coaches would be better off to schedule at least 3 games against lower class opponents. If MCentral would have played the 3 teams in lower classifications that Sweetwater played they would hold the same record or better than Sweetwater. I know it is what it is, but this is where the TSSAA needs to place a point system into play in order to keep this from happening. Do you not agree?

You are correct. The current system views a 1A team the same as a 6A team. So a 1A team with a 5-5 record helps your tiebreaker formula and a 6A team with a 4-6 record hurts your tiebreaker formula. Coaches will adjust to benefit their team and try to schedule teams down instead of up.

Actually I don't agree because some teams then could get points by just playing a higher class team that is winless. Just because you play a higher class team doesn't make that team a quality opponent. I am in favor of going back to the 5 class system and the games that matter are your region games. That way teams can go out and schedule tough games and not be punished.

That is the way it should be in the current 6 class system, but if it only works in a 5 class system, then let's go back to that.

That is the way it should be in the current 6 class system, but if it only works in a 5 class system, then let's go back to that.

I don't like it in a 6 class system because some schools are having to play up in their district. It doesn't make any sense having 3a schools having to play 4a schools for a district or region championship. The teams you play in your district/region should be the same teams you potentially could play in the playoffs.

I don't like it in a 6 class system because some schools are having to play up in their district. It doesn't make any sense having 3a schools having to play 4a schools for a district or region championship. The teams you play in your district/region should be the same teams you potentially could play in the playoffs.

Now I completely agree with you on that, Gerry. The past four(4) years Tyner had to play up and has only won the District once...six(6) teams were 4A and 2 were 3A which makes it tough!! We must play by the rules but it is hard.

I agree. My point was that you could create all 3a schools in the same district.

Thank God!! Someone with a half a lick of sense, FINALLY!? Is the head of the TSSAA job up for re-election anytime soon?? I vote Mr. Gerry Bertier!

Thank God!! Someone with a half a lick of sense, FINALLY!? Is the head of the TSSAA job up for re-election anytime soon?? I vote Mr. Gerry Bertier!

In all fairness,if memory serves me correct, I think Mr. Childress favored going back to 5 classifications. It was the voting schools who opted to stay with 6 classifications.