New 3A Powerhouse

Bigbadwolf

Congrats on what South Gibson has done. However, let me give you the benefit of my experience here.

Covington has played in the 3A State Championship game twice in recent history (before getting our present 4A classification).

In 2000, we were 13-1 going to Murfreesboro, having only lost to Christian Brothers out of Memphis. We had blown away most of our competitors. I thought we had it made. We lost to Portland 43-0.

In 2003, we were 11-3 and again made the State Championship game. We lost to Fulton 36-9.

You need to have playoff experience to advance. Y'all don't have that. Playoff football is a whole other level of play. And, you are going to meet some very good football teams along the way. I was sure both years that we had the gold ball locked up. We did not even compete either time in the final game.

Enjoy your run and be happy that you have had a very good year. Don't be down if one of these experienced teams knocks you out.

• Upvote 1

South Gibson is soon to be the 3A powerhouse everyone else will compete for second place. We are one week away from a 10-0 season and I really believe we will bring the gold ball home this year. Looking forward to playoffs there is really nothing stopping us from going all the way. Many schools on the list: CPA, Cheatham, and several others have simply played a weak schedule and are not ready for my South Gibson Hornets. We handled Milan in regular season and are looking forward to doing it again. Really doesn't matter if CAK or Alcoa makes it to state this SGC team in only our second year of play is ready to beat them down for that gold ball. I look forward to seeing whoever makes it to a match up with us. Any thoughts.

Please see the post that I have put in BOLD for you all to see.

Cheatham (one of the teams that you speak of playing a "weak" schedule) has a schedule just as quality as is yours big boy. Camden (7-2), Sycamore (6-3), Fairview (6-3), and Mt. Pleasant (6-3 & when they had Harlan at QB).

The combined overall record of the opponents on Cheatham's schedule heading into Week 10 is 41-50. Waverly has finished their regular season.

Sycamore plays White House

Fairview plays Summit

Camden plays Creek Wood

Mt. Pleasant plays Loretto

Stewart County plays Montgomery Central

Jo Byrns plays Nashville Christian

Cheatham travels to Harpeth

The Cubs opponents will at best go 6-3 and at worst go 5-4 in action this week. That will put their combined schedule's overall record at 47-53 or 46-54 on the season.

NOW LET'S LOOK AT SOUTH GIBSON'S SLATE:

South Gibson's opponents have a combined mark of 40-49 heading into Week 10 action. Ripley and Kirby still never made their game up and this is the reason for SG's "odd number" heading into the final week. South Gibson played Milan (7-2) and West Carroll (7-2) but outside of this who have they really played????? They got to avoid both Dyersburg & Covington on their schedule this time around. What a break that was considering they also played a Milan team that was nursing several injuries at the time.

In Week 10:

West Carroll plays McKenzie

JCS plays Fayette Academy (?????)

Ripley plays Covington

Trinity Christian plays Scotts Hill

Milan plays Haywood

Obion plays Dyersburg

Gibson plays Crockett

South Gibson hosts Westview

Outside of JCS vs Fayette Academy those other games are "givens" barring miracles. The South Gibson Hornets overall record to end this season will be 10-0 and their opponents mark will stand at either 46-54 or 45-55 (depending on the outcome of the JCS-FA game). This is of course also assuming that Ripley finishes beating a terrible Kirby team.

What does all of this mean?????

South Gibson's schedule isn't any better than Cheatham's. You beat a depleted Milan team and avoided both of the other "heavy hitters" (Covington and Dyersburg) from your district due to a "flawed" scheduling system. Congrats rolleyes.gif

• Upvote 1

Congrats on what South Gibson has done. However, let me give you the benefit of my experience here.

Covington has played in the 3A State Championship game twice in recent history (before getting our present 4A classification).

In 2000, we were 13-1 going to Murfreesboro, having only lost to Christian Brothers out of Memphis. We had blown away most of our competitors. I thought we had it made. We lost to Portland 43-0.

In 2003, we were 11-3 and again made the State Championship game. We lost to Fulton 36-9.

You need to have playoff experience to advance. Y'all don't have that. Playoff football is a whole other level of play. And, you are going to meet some very good football teams along the way. I was sure both years that we had the gold ball locked up. We did not even compete either time in the final game.

Enjoy your run and be happy that you have had a very good year. Don't be down if one of these experienced teams knocks you out.

Well Said Sir - They will find out soon enough. They do get props for beating us in the regular season. Let me say we really look forward to a possible rematch in the playoffs. No promises, yelling or screaming - we just really look forward to the playoffs. As you mentioned earlier, it is like a whole new season. Take pride in your great season so far and support your team but don't write checks your team can't cash.

You know.... there was a certain team, that shall remain nameless, but everyone knows who I'm talking about, that beat Milan in the regular season last year. In the playoffs, they won 1 game and then went to the house. At the same time, Milan won 4 games in the playoffs and went to the title game. Can anyone say deja-vu!!!

Milan will see you in the playoffs and you will go home crying!!!

• Upvote 1