Goodpasture @ CPA

coachrus

This is a rivalry rematch game and always a battle.

Goodpasture is much improved after a mid season slump due to the suspensions of (up to 13?) players. I understand they are back at full strength and have finished the season winning four of the last five. The have to be one of the strongest 7th seeds in 3A.

CPA defense showed a little weekness last night against a big, physical and fast Pearl-Cohn team giving up 25 points. The injury bug has hit CPA at linebacker with four of the starting linebackers out last night.

After CPA's first touchdown drive, Pearl-Cohn decided to defend with 8 in the box forcing CPA to go to the air. The result was CPA's best passing game in the last two years.

Pick your poison defending CPA run game and passing game.

I think this will be a close hard fought game, but CPA pulls it out late.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say GP is back at full strength, I think a few players never got to come back. This will be the second start for GP's 8th grade quarterback. He was put in during the 3rd quarter vs McGavock last week and started last night vs Greenbrier.

As close as the first meeting was this year, I would have to say CPA will win this one by at least 21. If GP plays a perfect game they might be able to keep it closer but I say CPA wins this one.

I wouldn't say GP is back at full strength, I think a few players never got to come back. This will be the second start for GP's 8th grade quarterback. He was put in during the 3rd quarter vs McGavock last week and started last night vs Greenbrier.

As close as the first meeting was this year, I would have to say CPA will win this one by at least 21. If GP plays a perfect game they might be able to keep it closer but I say CPA wins this one.

Thanks for the correction. I never heard the final outcome of the suspended players and heard several different versions.

How many players are not playing at this point?

There is more to this GP team than the media, the fans, the school, and even the coaches think. Sadly, prior to the untimely death of their teammate this spring, there were at the least five maybe six college caliber players-Division I, I-AA, II, and III. Then, two games into the season, the suspensions came. I'm going to leave that issue to others to discuss. My point is that they paid a heavy price this year and I don't think they will go to CPA and surrender the season to them just because they are 5 and 5 and not 9 and 1. CPA is a well coached, good football team but I hesitate to award them the victory because I know these GP players will play their heart out Friday Night.

There is more to this GP team than the media, the fans, the school, and even the coaches think. Sadly, prior to the untimely death of their teammate this spring, there were at the least five maybe six college caliber players-Division I, I-AA, II, and III. Then, two games into the season, the suspensions came. I'm going to leave that issue to others to discuss. My point is that they paid a heavy price this year and I don't think they will go to CPA and surrender the season to them just because they are 5 and 5 and not 9 and 1. CPA is a well coached, good football team but I hesitate to award them the victory because I know these GP players will play their heart out Friday Night.

Very sorry to hear about the death of their teammate. The CPA seniors also lost a teammate last year in a skateboard accident. If you see the letters MD on their helmets, those are the initials of their teammate.

Goodpasture has a great programs and a great history. I would expect no less than that they would play their hearts out. I think they could be a dangerous opponent for anyone, but especially CPA given the rivalry.

I would like to put to rest the story of the players being suspended at Goodpasture. This is credible and the most accurate information. There were 13-15 students/players suspended in connection with the incident that happened. The 13 were football players. There were a 3 that I know of that were kicked off the team and not allowed to return to school. Of the 13, 11 were starters/ major contributors to team. The 11 were all allowed to return to the team. Of those 11,10 returned against White House and the other the following week. Now from what I was told, there was another players kick off the team that was involved in another incident shortly after returning to the team.

And as prevouis posters have stated this Goodpasture team has has to battle some major adversity within their ranks. They have storied program and great coaches. They also have some stellar kids and my heart goes out to them for the trails they have had to deal with. They will be better men/palyers for this.

Anyway this game is going to be a close one and Im going with the upset in a 17-14,13-10 type score with Goodpasture scoring late.

Edited by FootballFan1222

Is the original starting QB from week 0 available for this game if something happens to the 8th grader that has played the last couple of weeks. Did the 8th grader just beat the original starter out or is this a suspension/injury issue?

Sounds like all but 3 kids from week 0 are available for Goodpasture. CPA could have as many as 3 - 4 starters from week 0 out due to injury. 1 major contributor for sure as he has been out since Kenwood game. There could be 2 or 3 others depending on what doctors tell them this week.

Sounds like an even match to me. Expect a close game.

Tough draw for CPA in the first round after an undefeated regular season. I have CPA making it to Cookeville this year, but looks like they will be challenged right out of the gate. I will stick with CPA to win in a close one. This could be one of the very best first round games anywhere for a #1 or #2 seed. Good luck to both teams thumb[1].gif