My "dismissal"

Guest bartletths55

Ohhh man, I wish we'd just lock this thread b/c people are such "know it all's." Who gives anyone on this board the right to say what is right and wrong? I also love how everyone just assumes b/c this happened that Ben isn't gonna make anything of his life now; that's just hilarious.

[Edited by TJ on 10-28-02 11:11A]

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like TJ said, it's laughable that somebody actually thinks Ben will be working at McDonald's for the rest of his life simply because of this incident. Anybody who thinks that obviously doesn't know Ben. I don't think that what Ben did would in any way warrant going to a correctional facility. Ben has already been punished for this incident; why don't we just give it up?

Try poking your boss in the chest and using explicatives in the process. I bet you get to go to McDonalds (and stop by the unemployment line in the process) for an extended lunch. Grow up kid ! Life does not evolve around you and the sooner you realize that sometimes, it's better to disagree and keep your mouth shut and keep your hands to yourself. Sounds to me like the kid needs to start playing tennis or golf, (individual sports) and give up the team sports.

Although i do not know b/f personally, sources close to the program attest he is very bright and intelligent......

i also know coach smith...he is no doubt an outstanding coach....without question, he knows how to get it done....

i will not stoop so low to call a young man, who believes in what he is doing (whether right or wrong), a disgrace to his family......that is a horrible thing to say.... the person who said that should be ashamed....

a strong spirit is a gift, most coaches will tell you that...the hard part is channeling that spirit in the right direction...sometimes you can, sometimes you cannot....

[Edited by mg on 10-28-02 3:09P]

MG is right. This is a not win situation here. HighschoolStatboy thinks that he knows everything about life, basketball and everything in between and he thinks Ben is a thug, lol. That's FUNNY. Ben is the farthest thing from a thug. You must be one of those immature HS kids that look for people to down. By the way, MG, where did Fred Peete transfer to? I thought he would've been the best player in the district behind Ben this year.

I have to say this is a very sad situation. It appears it is once again one of those issues that insights anger in those with opposing views.

Some feel the coach, actually any coach, has the right to do what it takes to win. In fact some believe that others should look the other way when a successful coach steps beyond the line. That brings about an interesting question. What line exist between coach and player? This is probably a question for a whole new thread.

Others feel the young person should be the focal point of athletics.

It is hard for many of us to even comprehend an idol, like a coach we respect and admire, of being accused of wrongdoing. On the other hand some feel the same way about their children or friends.

I think that puts a young man like Troy in a very ackward position. He seems to be very loyal to both his friend and his former coach.

Personally I feel like both parties could stand to step back from this situation for a moment and examine the moccasins of the other. Ben has admitted his decision making was not the best in the way he chose to handle this. I also feel that many where stunned when Coach Smith decided to call out Ben in the local media. That may be sacreligious to many to say a coach is wrong but it happens. I have to admit that I have mishandle situations with players. I hope though that none of them have lead to situations in which we could not coexist within the team.

My only comment to these two, would be to not let this fester and don't think it will just go away. Neither party seems to be happy with the way things ended. But at some point just like with my wife you have to agree to disagree and learn to live on. Don't ignore it, It will continue to eat at you if you feel you have truly done someone wrong.

My apologies if my spelling or grammar are in error in the above post. If it leads to my losing my job I will have my application ready for BK, I don't like that special sauce.

Just a question, but is it not illegal to have contact with a student-athlete until they have officially enrolled in your school. Not trying to stir trouble just wondering for future consideration in dealings with students. What can/cannot talk about with prospective athletes?

i as told by a coach in dist 14 that he went to either washington dc or washington state.... not sure which

that has not been confirmed but that is the hot rummor out of dist 14.....maybe someone else could check and find out if that is true or not....

I'm not here to say whats right or wrong. I'm not the one who's supposed to judge such things, and i doubt n e one else on this board is either. You see, one of the first steps to life, is figuring out what u believe in, and standin by what u believe in, no matter what ppl like me or yall, or n e one else has to say. This young man only has to answer to himself for these beliefs, he does not have to please n e one else, and by standin up for his beliefs, he's taken a very important step in life. Now i'm not sure of the entire situation, but it appears that this young man is standin by his beliefs in the face of a lot of adversity, and that takes a lot of brass, so i will applaud him for that, once again, i'm not sayin whats right or wrong, just sayin that him standin by his beliefs is very important, and i'll leave u w/ this quote "stand for what i believe in, even if what i believe in stops me from breathin" ladies and gentleman, be not quick to judge u'r fellow man, for rushin quickly to judgement is as great a folly as n e other.

Good mark for Gottalovit b/c he is speaking the truth. I am sorely dissapointed in Ben and the decision he made. I was just tonight reading a scouting services reports in my coaches office and Ben was the #1 big man prospect in the state and rated high-major. This dissapoints me and he was gonna help a Bartlett team contend for a state title. I love Ben and I also love coach Smith but I was dissapointed when coach Smith called Ben out in the paper also. Coach Smith is a great coach and any time a player is dismissed, most great coaches just say "for violation of team rules.", but Coach Smith had to go into detail in a newspaper that millions of people read. Anyway, glad to know someone understands where i'm coming from.