District 13AA How will it play out?

gohornets

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not my sweep. Just a gut prediction that barely came true. GC is well Coached and Wilkins had those girls ready and the GC press caused problems for OC who committed 24 turnovers. OC made the move during the 4th qtr. comeback to put pressure on GC in the fullcourt and caused some turnovers as a result. Goodman with 30 and the Lady Rebs had some other kids step up late. GC had four in double digits. Not a deep bench but the ones they have played well. Should be an interesting rematch at GC in January.

Not my sweep. Just a gut prediction that barely came true. GC is well Coached and Wilkins had those girls ready and the GC press caused problems for OC who committed 24 turnovers. OC made the move during the 4th qtr. comeback to put pressure on GC in the fullcourt and caused some turnovers as a result. Goodman with 30 and the Lady Rebs had some other kids step up late. GC had four in double digits. Not a deep bench but the ones they have played well. Should be an interesting rematch at GC in January.

Gibson is so young this year too....1 senior on the team in Whittemore if I remember right. I don't think those 14A folks know what is about to hit them when Gibson drops down. We have a Freshman right now that is pretty legit... May not stand out right now, but for her to be a freshman, she's going to be the real deal by her senior year.

A few changes since start of the season in my predictions since seeing what new players are with teams and what players are no longer with teams.

1. Covington- teams for real, guards back along with a transfer that is very very good!

2. Westview - will battle it out with Covington for #1, Covington and westview are by far the best 2 teams in the district.

3. Dyersburg- losing PG to an injury hurts them but will get better as the gain experience thru the year and still have a good 5 and decent subs.

4. Obion Co.- didnt know their PG quit, this hurt them a on. Still got goidman but remaining guards need to figure out how to get it down the floor to her.

5. Gibson Co. - Whittemore runs this team, how she goes is how the team will go. the new PG helps them alot with quickness.

6. South Gibson- good offense but defense not there yet.

7. Haywood- good speed and quickness but no scoring or experience.

8. Milan- Estrada can score, not much else.

9. Crockett Co- a long way to go.

10. Ripley- be surprised if they win a game this yr.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Westview wanted to prove tonight that they should be considered number 1. They beat Covington tonight by double digits (I think like 12 or 13). They led the entire game. I was expecting Covington to be much better than what they played tonight. Teddy Vincent, Tiffany Rechis, and Kaley Leyhue really impressed me tonight. I think the team as a whole hit between 8-10 threes. Covington may of had an off night and it may be a different story at Covington but tonight Westview looked to be the better team.

Westview beats Gibson tonight by 9.... I was told Gibson was up 2 with about a minute left. That's 3 district losses where we've had a lead and blew it in the late part of the game. If 1st-5th in this district is this narrow, the district tournaments will be wide open for the 1st-5th spots.... It'll be interesting because only 4 advance to region!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a little info on Crockett County. Only 8 players on the roster...2 seniors, 5 sophomores, and 1 freshman. They have had 7 quit the team since Dudley came on board. They couldn't handle her very high expectations or her coaching style. She is tough and expects the same commitment that she had when she played. The remaining 8 are very committed and have worked their butts off to get better. They are currently 6-8 including 4 district wins. Their district wins have come over Ripley, Haywood, Milan and South Gibson....not the greatest competition, but these are teams which beat them by double digits last year.

Fundamentally, they have greatly improved in every area and their defense is much better. Depth will be a big issue because of fatigue and foul problems, but there is not much that can be done about that. Another issue is a lack of size...they are getting beat on the boards every night. They are still a long way from competing with the top teams in the district, but having seen every game they have played this year, I can assure you they are vastly improved. Its been a pleasure watching them grow as individuals and as a team. Its also a lot of fun to watch Coach Dudley and her sideline demeanor. She is as intense as any coach I have ever seen...based on her track record as a player you can understand her hatred of losing. Bottom line....she gets results and that's what you hire a coach to do.

Edited by Teddavid