South Pittsburg at Gordonsville (Grider against this Marshall man)

Roy Dillard

I was young so the years may be wrong but they had some good teams in 86-87-88. I know one year they got put out in the semi's by Greenback, and I've heard people say that was a super talented team.

they were really strong also Jamie Angels sr year but not at the level of the 84-85 team. That team stands as the Gmen's best- thus far. I do believe this years line is better than that 84 team but they don't anyone even remotely close to Cowan. He was a game-changer in all 3 phases.

Those three backs in the 80's; cowan, manning, angel may never be duplicated. Not alot of drop off with that group. Super talented, with a not-to-shabby group of lineman opening up holes.

Now you can ask Stanley Wills about this and I believe he'll back me up on this one. The linemen from the years of those three backs may have been as athletic and intelligent as any groups ever. Plus they had just a bit of a nasty side. Oh alright they had a very nasty side. Not dirty just enjoyed going toe to toe and taking the heart of an opponent by lining up and saying here we come try and stop us. Of course it was a little different with Conditt when we threw the ball more but those linemen enjoyed punishing people, too.

You can go back farther than that cause there have been some very special backs up on that hill. McCaleb, Sutton, and Mixon are three I can think of off the top of my head.

There was a team back in the late 70's that may have rivaled any of these teams but didn't get to go to the playoffs because of a probation. Dad burned where's Tpay at when ya need him he might be the only one on here old enough to remember back then!!! :mrgreen:

You mean to tell us fellers you've got a long history of bad behavior? Old Pirate wonders what was the 7 year W-L record back in the 80s you fellers is talking about? OP has stated the recent 7 year run by GV has been pretty impressive and what is Marshall's record since coach Dillard...Hum wonder if he is kin to Roy? Edited by OLD PIRATE

There was a team back in the late 70's that may have rivaled any of these teams but didn't get to go to the playoffs because of a probation. Dad burned where's Tpay at when ya need him he might be the only one on here old enough to remember back then!!! :mrgreen:

i played in the 70s had some toug teams back then as far as toughness goes todays footbal is alot different and by the way 79my last year was the first time gord and sp played in regular season we were thefirst team to ever go 10 -0

Gordonsville has been on a good run from 2005-2012 as well. I believe they only had one losing season during that time and have had several teams that were capable. 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012 were all really good teams.

That is what OP was a thinking and them older fellers is yapping about the 80s. Perhaps they will let us fellers know more if they did all that back-n-their day!

Im working as we post, from my phone of course.

If all goes the way everyone predicts, the upcoming trip to Greenback is going to bring back alot of memories. I dont think it's coincidence that the game will be played on black Friday.

Back to SP/Ghs rivalry. I think it's now 8-5 in favor of the Pirates, so we've still got some catching up to do.

Im working as we post, from my phone of course.

If all goes the way everyone predicts, the upcoming trip to Greenback is going to bring back alot of memories. I dont think it's coincidence that the game will be played on black Friday.

Back to SP/Ghs rivalry. I think it's now 8-5 in favor of the Pirates, so we've still got some catching up to do.

Old Pirate really likes the SP/GV feuds, you fellers is a chatty bunch. Good for both programs to have heavy contested feuds. OP sure misses them TC feuds too!