DII Round 2 -- Now it starts getting good!

WesVLT

Now that the preliminary round is done and the top eight teams are in action, we'll see some excellent football Friday night.

Baylor at MUS

The Red Raiders rolled past BGA 49-35 Friday, allowing several touchdowns by Wildcats backups to make the score look closer than the game actually was. Now, Baylor plays MUS for the first time since 2009. The Owls' two losses have come by a combined 17 points to two of the top teams in the Southeast, Ensworth and Olive Branch. Riding a five-game win streak, MUS has won each of its games by at least ten points.

Pick: MUS 31, Baylor 14

Briarcrest at Brentwood Academy

The Saints got a first-round scare from Pope John Paul before scoring late to win 21-14. The win reversed a three-game losing streak in which the closest setback was by 18 points. Brentwood Academy gave up 527 yards against McCallie in its last outing, a 63-42 win. The Eagles hadn't allowed more than 20 points in a league game before that. BA is 5-0 all-time in the series, with its last win in 2008.

Pick: Brentwood Academy 42, Briarcrest 7

McCallie at Ensworth

McCallie has found its identity. A week after scoring 42 on BA's excellent defense, Ralph Potter's team posted 62 points against a struggling St. Benedict team in the first round of the playoffs. Now McCallie visits an Ensworth team with three shutouts on its resume. The Tigers beat the Blue Tornado 47-10 early this season and haven't allowed a team within 20 points since the first week of the season.

Pick: Ensworth 42, McCallie 20

MBA at Christian Brothers

This may be the most intriguing matchup of the quarterfinals. MBA hasn't played its best ball recently in ugly wins over Pope John Paul and Father Ryan. The Big Red trailed JPII 17-3 at halftime before recovering for a two-touchdown win. The boys from Belle Meade limped to a 17-7 win over Father Ryan in the first round. Christian Brothers is 9-1, its only league loss a 24-14 setback against MUS. The Purple Wave hasn't been tested in the month since that defeat.

Pick: Christian Brothers 20, MBA 14

What are your picks?

Edited by WesVLT

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Baylor's chances to go to MUS and get the win. if they can stay away from turnovers and continue to run the ball the way they have the past 4 weeks they will give the owls all they want and just might get out of town with the win.

brentwood academy, and ensworth will both win big and I agree the mba and christian brothers game should be a good one. if the mba team that played the first part of the season shows up I like the big red to get the win if they are not ready to play the brothers will move on to ensworth.

I think the only game in question is MBA-CBHS. MBA is not playing well. Severe fumbleitis, just not looking sharp at all. I know nothing about CBHS, but MBA is struggling against very poor competition right now. If they don't sort things out this week, it'll be a long trip back from Memphis.

Not sure that's a done deal even if MBA plays well. CBHS has lost only to MUS (by 10 in a rivalry game) and has, among other impressive wins, a 3-score win over White Station.

CBHS by 10

Ensworth by 13

BA by 14

MUS by 17

I don't see any upsets in round 2. Not even a remote chance. Games will be blow outs and boring. Looking forward to semi-final round, that's when things get exciting.

Agreed, with the exception of MBA at CBHS, which should be the only game which will be close and could go either way, especially if MBA brings its "A" game. Ensworth is a no-brainer of course. No way will Briarcrest beat BA or Baylor beat MUS, as some have suggested....

I think both MBA and Baylor have an excellent chance of coming away with a victory. Year in and year out, the west division teams have good records yet go no where in the playoffs. Both MBA and Baylor have played tougher competition on a weekly basis and it will show this weekend. Both MBA and Baylor by a touchdaown. The margin of victory would be more if the games weren't in Memphis.

I think both MBA and Baylor have an excellent chance of coming away with a victory. Year in and year out, the west division teams have good records yet go no where in the playoffs. Both MBA and Baylor have played tougher competition on a weekly basis and it will show this weekend. Both MBA and Baylor by a touchdaown. The margin of victory would be more if the games weren't in Memphis.

Congrats on the most ill-informed post of late. MUS - State Champions 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009. Played three defending state champions this season - Ensworth, Olive Branch (MS 6A) and Fayetteville (AR 7A). All 3 of these teams are currently ranked in the top 5 overall in their respective states. Last season CBHS (whom MUS beat 42-7) beat BA and almost won at Baylor. Baylor can thank its "lucky stars" it wasn't playing at MUS to get to Cookeville last year. DII Middle/East has twice as many teams as West. They should and do have more elite teams and of course will have more representation throughout the postseason.

U R correct in asserting that MBA has an excellent chance for the W against CBHS. Frankly, after watching the Baylor-BA and Baylor-BGA #2 games this weekend, I agree that Baylor has a chance but hardly an excellent one. If you think that playing PJPII and BGA (twice) over the last 3 weeks will have Baylor prepared for MUS, then you are in for a rude awakening. Still, MUS has a history of sometimes "looking past" their first playoff game and getting into some perilous situations. If they repeat this Friday, Baylor has the weapons to get the W. Stranger things have happened in a football game, e.g. last year's Ensworth-Baylor games....

Edited by owlbooster

Congrats on the most ill-informed post of late. MUS - State Champions 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009. Played three defending state champions this season - Ensworth, Olive Branch (MS 6A) and Fayetteville (AR 7A). All 3 of these teams are currently ranked in the top 5 overall in their respective states. Last season CBHS (whom MUS beat 42-7) beat BA and almost won at Baylor. Baylor can thank its "lucky stars" it wasn't playing at MUS to get to Cookeville last year. DII Middle/East has twice as many teams as West. They should and do have more elite teams and of course will have more representation throughout the postseason.

U R correct in asserting that MBA has an excellent chance for the W against CBHS. Frankly, after watching the Baylor-BA and Baylor-BGA #2 games this weekend, I agree that Baylor has a chance but hardly an excellent one. If you think that playing PJPII and BGA (twice) over the last 3 weeks will have Baylor prepared for MUS, then you are in for a rude awakening. Still, MUS has a history of sometimes "looking past" their first playoff game and getting into some perilous situations. If they repeat this Friday, Baylor has the weapons to get the W. Stranger things have happened in a football game, e.g. last year's Ensworth-Baylor games....

I have a really hard time predicting matchups between West and East-Middle teams. Since they rarely play during the regular season, their playoff games are usually pretty unpredictable. i wouldn't have imagined Briarcrest almost losing to JPII, and I certainly didn't expect McCallie to put up 60+ on St. Benedict.

One thing's for sure: I know enough about MUS to know the Owls will be a serious test for BA, if both teams make the semifinals. It's hard to argue with those passing numbers, and the single-digit loss at Ensworth is convincing, too.