Proposed Districts

Omniscience

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope no schools have signed contracts for non district games yet, just to make sure.

I did the Class AAA (5A and 6A) teams in the same way. It did not go nearly as smoothly as the Class AA groups but it went well enough-I think it would be better received than what is currently in place-if it was explained well, which seems to be a problem in the current set-ups. There are some coaches' statements out there that tell me they don't get the basics such as first place and runner-up getting priority. I did have to go 5 and 3 in one district but it's the Chattanooga group (the same as it's going to be, except for Rhea) and none of the 6A teams is that much larger so I wouldn't think it is a big deal.

I had to move Dickson County into the Nashville group away from the Clarksville group to even out things. For the most part I think it looks much better than in some current districts where it's something like 6 of one playoff group and 1 or 2 of another. Those teams probably have a legitimate complaint.

I had to make a couple of districts all 5A or 6A teams such as the Murfreesboro group, there was no way around it or I'd have to move half of them to Nashville. At least there's not just one or two in the some districts that would have to "play up", it's split for most or there's none that have to do so.

Another thing this system would help, you could take the top finishing 5A team and top finishing 6A team and give each priority in playoff seeding. That would help the 5A teams who feel playing larger schools hurts their seeding. If there's just one 5A team they shouldn't be awarded it but they'd have two or three 5A opponents and those 5A opponents would be facing nearly an equal number of 6A teams in the district.

I don't think any would see any significant travel increase, some might decrease actually, and the five-class system would probably have more on the average.

One more system they won't be using but I wish they'd look at. One big complaint is the uneven number of teams from different playoff classes, in the regular season classes. This would cut that out. Whatever travel it might cause-and so far in this model it hasn't been a big deal-have no more than one more or less from the different playoff groups. The exception, in this it would be the Chattanooga group, is if all are playing in one playoff group.

Hixson would have been better off in District 5 but I shifted them to 4, that evens out District 4 better with 3A and 4A teams, and leaves District 5 with all 3A teams.

Also, cut out the rule on keeping the districts the same across sports. This would be the Class AA group, in districts 1-8. All districts would have at least six teams though so far it's been at least seven.

3A are in bold, 4A not bold

District 1

Johnson Co. High School FB 652

Unicoi Co. High School FB 776

Chuckey-Doak High School FB 644

Elizabethton High School FB 830

Sullivan Central High School FB 1017

Sullivan South High School FB 978

Sullivan East High School FB 879

District 2

Gatlinburg-Pittman High School FB 625

West Greene High School FB 667

Pigeon Forge High School FB 726

Greeneville High School FB 842

Claiborne High School FB 801

Union Co. High School FB 848

Carter High School FB 904

District 3

Alcoa (moved up)

Kingston High School FB 693

* Christian Academy of Knoxville FB 428, 770

Loudon High School FB 769

Scott High School FB 807

-- Fulton High School FB 926

Gibbs High School FB 1073

Anderson Co. High School FB 1032

Knoxville Catholic (move up one class only)

District 4

Polk Co. High School FB 599

McMinn Central High School FB 728

Brainerd High School FB 627

Howard School FB 644

Sequoyah High School FB 955

Chattanooga Central High School FB 948

East Ridge High School FB 829

Hixson High School FB 855

District 5

Bledsoe Co. High School FB 588

Sequatchie Co. High School FB 655

Grundy Co. High School FB 676

* Notre Dame High School FB 396, 713

Signal Mountain High School FB 715

Red Bank High School FB 728

* Chattanooga Christian School FB 444, 799

District 6

Smith Co. High School FB 611

Cannon Co. High School FB 651

Upperman High School FB 658

York Institute FB 669

DeKalb Co. High School FB 842

Livingston Academy FB 1006

Cumberland Co. High School FB 1045

Stone Memorial High School FB 1087

District 7

Greenbrier High School FB 782

* Goodpasture Christian School FB 335, 603

Sycamore High School FB 767

White House High School FB 898

Macon Co. High School FB 953

Whites Creek High School FB 845

Maplewood FB 921

District 8

Stratford High School FB 681

* Christ Presbyterian Academy FB 377, 679

East Nashville Magnet School FB 729

Pearl Cohn High School FB 823

* Lipscomb Academy FB 512, 922

Page High School FB 843

Summit High School FB 1090

what about fairview

I know this outcry must have already been issued when they first pulled this crap but I have to voice my own antipathy toward having two classes sharing districts. IT'S STUPID! A team could be competitive to their own class but because they play a particularly good set of teams from the other class they may be left out of the playoffs due additional cricumstances such as resignments and injuries. It makes no sense if they are not competing for the same prize they shouldn't be in the same district. I'm sure whoever dreamed up this madness thought they were being innovative (which would be part of their lunacy).

I know this outcry must have already been issued when they first pulled this crap but I have to voice my own antipathy toward having two classes sharing districts. IT'S STUPID! A team could be competitive to their own class but because they play a particularly good set of teams from the other class they may be left out of the playoffs due additional cricumstances such as resignments and injuries. It makes no sense if they are not competing for the same prize they shouldn't be in the same district. I'm sure whoever dreamed up this madness thought they were being innovative (which would be part of their lunacy).

Could not agree more.

Also makes no sense that for seeding purposes that playing a 6A team is the same as playing a 1A team.

Could not agree more.

Also makes no sense that for seeding purposes that playing a 6A team is the same as playing a 1A team.

What if 3A team plays a bottom tier 6A team and another team plays a top tier 1A team? Whose game was tougher? This is the very problem with the system. Seeding should only be based on teams played in your classification and for that to happen we would have to eliminate 3A and 4A teams playing in the same district. There are too many problems with the system we have now. As much as I have fun seeding for the playoffs, I long for the day that a team's playoff chances were determined by playing teams in their own classification.

What if 3A team plays a bottom tier 6A team and another team plays a top tier 1A team? Whose game was tougher? This is the very problem with the system. Seeding should only be based on teams played in your classification and for that to happen we would have to eliminate 3A and 4A teams playing in the same district. There are too many problems with the system we have now. As much as I have fun seeding for the playoffs, I long for the day that a team's playoff chances were determined by playing teams in their own classification.

Exactly. Seeding this year in 3A was dependent upon the outcome and records of 1A teams. Very odd but probably happens every year.

what about fairview

They'd be in the west half of the field.

I will work on Class A and if it turns out okay, no major glitches I'll send it all in to them. Again it's probably a long shot that it's ever looked at seriously but why not give it a try. The major differences in this are dividing by football schools only, and trying to make an equal amount of 1A/2A, etc teams in each district-or have them all one playoff class. Also since it's football only it doesn't have to be 16 districts which helps sort teams too.

This would be the Chattanooga district, eight teams with the 1A teams in the top half. It already looks better than what the group is currently-one district is just South Pitt, Whitwell, Lookout Valley and Marion, as Van Buren has no team and Sale Creek doesn't yet. The other district is small too-Boyd, Silverdale, Copper Basin, Grace as Temple and David Brainerd have closed their doors in the last couple of years.

In the five class possibility sent out, the South Pittsburg group went all the way from Moore County to Copper Basin. There would be no need for anything like that as you don't have to have 16 districts and no non-football schools are part of it. Meigs, Copper Basin, Sweetwater and Tellico Plains would also be Class A as the cutoff would go up to about 575 and they'd go north.

This should provide plenty of good competition for schools like South Pittsburg which seems to have trouble scheduling games. They and the other 1A teams each have the same four 2A teams to compete against making the playoff process equal out better.

South Pittsburg High School FB 249

Whitwell High School FB 383

Lookout Valley High School FB 199

* Chatt. Grace Baptist Academy FB 162, 292

Tyner Academy FB 563

Marion Co. High School FB 523

* Boyd Buchanan FB 295, 531

* Silverdale Baptist FB 252, 454

Edited by Indian