Maryville vs. Dobyns-Bennett TSSAA 6A Quarterfinals

Red Rebels

I'm not stirring a pot. Those tweets were a year ago. Before I was paid to be objective (and before I covered Blount County football for a living). And I don't hate Graham Clark. What I did hate, though, was he and D-B beating the crap out of South every year. But that has nothing to do with him. What number is the win streak at for D-B over South now? You guys probably don't keep up with that number because it's a non-factor for y'all. But we kept up with it like it was religion (it was at 13, I think, when we lost 7-6 in '05). Like I said before, those were jabs at the kids I grew up with and played with/against. Stirring the pot then? Sure, but that was between friends. Stirring the pot now? No way. Don't care what happens Friday night, as long as it happens before deadline. Apologies if you took offense.

It's cool...Anywho...did you go and get married or something because you seem to have softened on the DB haterade thing a little! But I'm a little skeptical so I'll have to hold out judgement until after this game ;)

Have you thought about coming back to Kingsport and start a newspaper? We are in desperate need of one :D With Bill Lane getting let go last week I doubt the SWVa Times will even send a reporter down to this game...they may just sit on Coacht and grab the story off here.

Good lunch dbFAN91, I really hope you win.

As I said before, I sincerely believe that DB does not want to play Maryville year after year, because they would get beat. I use to not think this way until I saw what Alcoa did to us in the Semifinals a couple of years ago at OUR place.

One major thing that I noticed with Maryville/Alcoa. Their kids are used to being in this environment, others are not. Remember the last time these two teams played it was a beat down. I hope it does not happen tonight.

I highly doubt that would be the hold up in these two teams playing in the regular season. If for no other reason, familiarity with a team enables you to have more success. There is no sense in avoiding a team in the regular season if you know that they are likely to be in your way come playoff time. Better to play them first to see where you can attack them later when it's an elimination game. As for the beat down that Maryville gave D-B three years ago, keep in mind that was a 5-5 D-B team that was fortunate to make it to the post season. I can't recall the last time 12 win D-B team was shellacked by anybody. I expect tonight's game to be a bit more competitive.

I hope i can answer this one. D-B's whole home side is basically reserved. The orignal holders of the seat/ticket for the year, thats their seat, bought and paid for in advance. In the playoffs, the school gives that person until the following Tues. to retain that same seat. if not it goes public. Hope that helps.

That is 100% correct

Has the line started forming yet?

ROLL TRIBE ROLL

Edited by ArtVandalay

One other bit of information.....Not only did the Rebel Nation order up a clear warm fall evening, but DB will be fill the 1st qtr final opponent to compete on a perfect field condition. In years past, this could not be said.

May the best team win. Clear the women and children from the streets, tape up those ankles, snap on the chin strap tightly! 7 short hrs.

GO Rebels!!!

Keys to a DB win tonight:

1) No turnovers by DB resulting in quick scores for Maryville (DB was close to blowing SH out when 2 turnovers inside the 20 resulted in 2 easy/quick scores for SH and game was on)

2) Playing from behind (within 7 to 10 pts.) the whole game with a chance to win late. If DB is up 7 or more at half look for coaching to be a factor as it has before in 1st and 2nd round playoff losses.

3) Secondary making some key stops in the passing game.

Coach T - What is the record for replies & views on a single topic in a 7 day period. This has to be close. Crazy!!

Found a 17 minute highlight of the DB vs SH game. I want to think this will be a good game, but I just can't see DB's defense even slowing MHS down, much less stopping them. Maryville will be able to get some stops on DB. I originally predicted 42-28 maryville, but I am amending that prediction to 42-21 Maryville, the 42 is simply because GQ will call off the dogs, and one of the DB scores will be against Maryville's subs.

Edited by jake

The Grand Divisions are geographic, cultural, and legally recognized regions, each constituting roughly one-third of the State of Tennessee. Nearly all of the East Tennessee Grand Division is located in the Eastern Time Zone. The Grand Divisions are defined in Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 4, Chapter 1, Part 2, Grand Divisions and State Capital.

4-1-201. Grand divisions.

There are three (3) grand divisions of the state: the eastern, middle and western.

4-1-202. Eastern grand division.

The eastern division comprises the counties of Anderson, Bledsoe, Blount, Bradley, Campbell, Carter, Claiborne, Cocke, Cumberland, Grainger, Greene, Hamblen, Hamilton, Hancock, Hawkins, Jefferson, Johnson, Knox, Loudon, Marion, McMinn, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Polk, Rhea, Roane, Scott, Sevier, Sullivan, Unicoi, Union and Washington.

East_Tennessee-counties.png

I always thought of the three divisions as the section over MS, the section over AL and the section over GA/NC.

Found a 17 minute highlight of the DB vs SH game. I want to think this will be a good game, but I just can't see DB's defense even slowing MHS down, much less stopping them. Maryville will be able to get some stops on DB. I originally predicted 42-28 maryville, but I am amending that prediction to 42-21 Maryville, the 42 is simply because GQ will call off the dogs, and one of the DB scores will be against Maryville's subs.

I know the video you are referring to, and don't let it fool you. It was a highlight video that does not show the defensive stops. For as epic of a game as that was, if D-B doesn't set SHHS up with short fields on a fumble at it's own 5, a failure to field a high kickoff, and by throwing an INT in it's own redzone, chances are that a very good SHHS offense only scores 14 points that night. Those mental mistakes are what D-B has to avoid tonight to have a chance. I don't think that D-B can count on playing a perfect game, but I don't think that Maryville can count on D-B to make mistakes either. Both teams know the plan and the stakes... we'll see how they execute. The team that executes wins tonight.

BTW, if you want to see an entertaining highlight video of this year's D-B team, check out the one at the link below... This film is borderline silly (from both teams' perspectives)

Edited by BilltownIndian

I heard that TSSAA is moving teams around next year... I assume that Maryville and D-B are both remaining at 6A? Is there any chance that these two teams could work out a home and home series for two or more seasons? I think it would be pretty cool to open the season with the Ted Wilson Bowl. I know the travel would be a little more expensive than the usual local competition, but I think this matchup would bring excellent gate money for both teams. It's kind of a shame, IMO that these teams haven't played more often (most of that being D-B's fault for early playoff losses), but why should this matchup be left to chance and why should Maryville fans be robbed of the opportunity to ever see the inside of J Fred Johnson Stadium? Think how an early season game would set up a second or third round playoff rematch if it happened. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I heard the Gman on his show yesterday talking about getting games with teams in Chattanooga because of the odd district 1 configuration (7 team conference vs. 8 team conference) so I'm not sure how the scheduling will fall out. He also mentioned that the unbalanced district was due to a District 2 team not wanting to move out into District 1. No team was mentioned...anybody know the school?