D-II Preseason Rankings

MemphianAmphibian

If you get on this board with any sort of frequency then you would know that Tate's eligibility has been discussed, speculated about, or whatever else you want to call it, at length. It is probably best that the "speculation" be kept to a minimum until someone closer to the situation knows for sure whether or not he will be eligible. Until then, there is about a 10 page thread about it buried somewhere on here if you would like to get caught up. Its mostly arguing about (surprise, surprise) the differences between D1 vs D2.

What does D1 have to do with anything? Apparently, the 10 pages were about more than just this.

If "speculation" regarding eligibility needs to be kept to a minimum, then "speculation" about ranking and this transfer causing a 12 point swing needs to be as well.

Time to pull out the old asterick until the ruling of what would be a moot point if this were a non-boarding school, is rendered.

Many of us are limited on the facts, but from what I understand, and as much he hates the point swing... it appears even papa bear would probably go along with a TSSAA exception. There are always two sides and we are not hearing both. Hardship will override usual procedure is what my gut tells me. Tate wrestling his jr. year is good for the sport IMHO.

I don't think skirting the rules is good for any sport. Especially wrestling.

What does D1 have to do with anything? Apparently, the 10 pages were about more than just this.

If "speculation" regarding eligibility needs to be kept to a minimum, then "speculation" about ranking and this transfer causing a 12 point swing needs to be as well.

Time to pull out the old asterick until the ruling of what would be a moot point if this were a non-boarding school, is rendered.

I would be willing to bet if this were a non boarding school his parents would simply have moved. I do not know them but Im sure they could make it happen so I doubt the boarding issue has any bearing.

I totally agree, which is what surprises me. Human nature would dictate that this would be a hot subject, and highly speculated.

Not knowing the "truth" usually motivates discussion on this board, rather than suppress it.

You want truth? "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!" Sorry...couldn't help myself. Nevertheless, here it is.... A wrestler of a state championship team transfers to it's rival before the next season, and could single handedly swing the outcome of the TN. state dual championship if deemed eligible. These are the facts of the case. And they are undisputed. Sorry...sorry, I did it again. A Few Good Men...Great Movie!!!

Not quite the facts the way I understand them. I dont think he just up and transfered to Baylor. In fact he left cbhs and moved to another state and enrolled in school there. So in reality he is transferring from that school and not Cbhs. Now since he last wrestled for Cbhs Im sure there are eligibility concerns but I dont think its accurate to portray this like he decided he liked Baylor better or that Baylor swayed him to come there. He left Cbhs well before that is the way it was explained to me.

So much misinformation in this thread to go along with the speculation that it is almost comical.

Many of us are limited on the facts, but from what I understand, and as much he hates the point swing... it appears even papa bear would probably go along with a TSSAA exception. There are always two sides and we are not hearing both. Hardship will override usual procedure is what my gut tells me. Tate wrestling his jr. year is good for the sport IMHO.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, mr. ghouse-sba or papa bear, or will you be double teaming with legman vs the ol soms in the near future? :(

Soms,

You quite often post things that you know to be wrong, inflammatory, and / or outlandish just so you can get a reaction... I know this and I am still going to let you win just this one time.

You and most people know full well papabear's stance on this issue. He has championed a vote to change the eligibility rules regarding transfer students and boarding schools towards the TSSAA the last two years. Each of the previous two years it has been voted down by the coaches. In no way, shape, or form would he be supportive of the TSSAA ruling for Tate to be eligible, but like the rest of us he will have to deal with whatever the TSSAA decides. That is why most of us are waiting on a decision to be rendered before going wild with commenting. There are enough comments out there full of half-truths to keep everyone guessing and wrong for long enough... better to just let the process play itself out

On a personal note I am never happy to see an opportunity taken away from a kid. It just never makes sense at the individual level. However, when you look at something like this, in my opinion, it is the TSSAA's job to look at what their rulings would mean for the system. This is why the rules are written the way they are.

I know what most people familiar with the situation expect the TSSAA's ruling to be but it is just a wait and see game for when the eligibility request is submitted. I have seen the TSSAA make some head-scratcher decisions that were highly inconsistent in the past, no clue if that will be the case this time.

Back on topic... the pre-season rankings released by the TWF will be out soon (not sure of exact date). I have been working on the DII rankings as usual.

They are going to be my best guess as to where kids will start the season. It will be purely speculative and based on what little information I have gathered from conversations with folks around the state. I haven't sent formal requests to any of the DII coaches for information. Like all pre-season rankings they will shuffle out as the season gets underway and should serve as a fun look at how the season might potentially shape-up.

As you will see, a lot of things on this message board result in a D1 vs D2 discussion. In the case of eligiability and transfer rules, the discussion began about a certain wrestler and then quickly shifted to whether or not the rules apply to private boarding schools in the same way they apply to public schools.

Does it really matter what happened? The kid has dedicated himself to being the best wrestler he can be and done darn well at it. I would venture to guess that regardless of TSSAA's ruling the young man will be competing, even if that means open tournaments. While sad for him to miss out on a state championship, he probably benefits more by getting outside of the TSSAA's restrictive clutches and wrestling abroad. I think the common thread amongst high level TN kids is that they get outside the border and look for challenges. Its amazing that some of you have so little to do that you hang on a high school wrestlers every move like a soap opera... Goodness gracious you can't ever get on this board and read something without a bunch of grown men acting like little kids!

Tex, I'm sure your gooey concerns will get enlightened soon enough and you can enjoy even more on here soon. On this top talent move and others who transfer to other strong programs... Again, two sides... Whether it be RB, BC, SD, SH, Cleve, Laf., WV, Tull, Bay, CBHS, McC, etc.

On this most recent D2 transfer, is it possible that the decision comes down to avoiding conflict and to a reactionary defense (perhaps justified) over the usual consequence for one's ill-advised behavior? Sounds like the SBA ghouse, as expected, is well informed on the issue and feels my sources are inaccurate to the CBHS's. I'm am very confident he & papbear has good reason for their positions as well as maintaining the good name of a fine institution, which will always be fine of course. This wrestler will likely, as already discussed, move on to the next level no matter what the decision.

Now, while all this speculation is going on - Ryan is loving it and knowing them, they have plans to sneak (via blood, sweat & tears) back on top with their own young fellas just learning to wrestle. Once again,,, Don't be surprised!

Cole Holloway should fit into the Baylor line up around 138 to 145. I believe Robinson went 126 at Super 32 and could shift around depending on needs.

Is he that big now? I dont see him starting at 138 or 145 with their lineup unless brunner drops to 132 but I cant see Holloway being bigger then Brunner. Maybe Im just picturing him as a 106 lber still.

When does the Tssaa meet for these kind of things? The season is right around the corner. Surely they decide before the seasons start?