Coach Bland (HOSED) by Humboldt

GCPioneer

It's set up for the new coach to be immediately successful because the best players on the team were juniors if I recall. The real story will be told 3-4 years from now. How do you fire a guy like Bland and replace him with someone without high school head coaching experience? It makes no sense but I hope Humboldt football never recovers because that will be good for us.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, that's fine. I am a "one-poster" because I get on here occasionally to see what's going on and knew there would be some discussion on this. When I saw the complete BS being posted, I thought I'd just try to tell what I knew as a fan. I am certainly not Junior Reid to whoever suggested that. And I don't have anything against Bland. I'm just a fan and an alumni who has actually watched every Humboldt game over the last several years, unlike most of you posting here. I brought up his middle school stint because that's what he's doing now. He has been an assistant at the high school before and, quite frankly, has probably been passed over for the head coaching position in the past for reasons other than ability. So, go ahead and chuckle about that and speculate on how Bland got screwed. You read one statement in the news and think that's the whole story.

Compare these two situations. At Peabody the prior four years we go 17-26 including 14-11 in the district. The administration calls in the head coach and he resigns. Two months later we hire a coach with a great record as a head coach. At Humboldt the prior four years they go 30-16 including a 22-2 district record and two district titles. The head coach hears rumors that he may be fired and he goes to the administration and then they tell him that he is fired. Two hours later they hire a coach from a middle school with no varsity head coaching experience. Which school did it the right way?

Alright, that's fine. I am a "one-poster" because I get on here occasionally to see what's going on and knew there would be some discussion on this. When I saw the complete BS being posted, I thought I'd just try to tell what I knew as a fan. I am certainly not Junior Reid to whoever suggested that. And I don't have anything against Bland. I'm just a fan and an alumni who has actually watched every Humboldt game over the last several years, unlike most of you posting here. I brought up his middle school stint because that's what he's doing now. He has been an assistant at the high school before and, quite frankly, has probably been passed over for the head coaching position in the past for reasons other than ability. So, go ahead and chuckle about that and speculate on how Bland got screwed. You read one statement in the news and think that's the whole story.

OK VikingAlum, respond to the post I just made (post #28). Please explain how Bland was so bad that he was treated like this. Which school handled it better? Whoever said Bland should come to Peabody I hope he's right and we make Humboldt regret this classless move. Once again, Coach Reid has nothing to do with this and this isn't a knock on him.

Okay, three poster, I find it hard to believe that you have never had anything to say about Humboldt football until now...LOL. i have been on the web and see that Gaddis has been an assistant to Bland and Bland has been an assistant to Gaddis. They obviously have a lot of respect for each other. I hope we get him and destroy Humboldt. No one should be treated the way he was. Roll Tide! come on over our way, Coach Bland. Peabody knows how to treat GREAT coaches with respect. Right, three poster Reid?

This was a sorry way for Humboldt to treat a Coach as well respected as Dan Bland. Vikingalumn I can see you supporting your school but even you must admit that this was handled poorly. No coach, especially one with the record of Bland should have to go and ask if he is fired then be replaced in a matter of hours. Really?? Guess it may be good news for my Falcons though since the Lake Co. middle school team handly beat the new coach's middle school team in 2011. :rolleyes: They did not play this year due to to Humboldt playing in the Gibson Co. league or whatever it is called!! Good luck coach Bland on your new endeavors.

Which part is BS? Did Bland have to ask if he was fired? Was the job posted? How many were interviewed? Did Reid interview and knock their socks off with his impressive high school coaching record? Why was he passed over before...hmmm? Explain the BS part.

The clear winners here are Peabody, Union City, Lake County, Greenfield, Gibson County, South Fulton, and Halls. Peabody can be the big winner if we can get Bland to join us. As far as Reid is concerned I will say shame on him too. Think about this: they hired him within a few hours of the firing so it was planned. Is Reid not smart enough to figure out that if the Humboldt administration would treat a successful coach like crap that they could very well do it to him in the future. He should have not been engaged in such plans with the head coach still on the job. He should have had enough class and respect for Bland that he should have persuaded the administration to talk with Bland since they didn't have the backbone to do the right thing. This may be the sorriest firing I can remember.Don't get me wrong Humboldt can do what they want but they have shown no class at all in the stinking episode.

The clear winners here are Peabody, Union City, Lake County, Greenfield, Gibson County, South Fulton, and Halls. Peabody can be the big winner if we can get Bland to join us. As far as Reid is concerned I will say shame on him too. Think about this: they hired him within a few hours of the firing so it was planned. Is Reid not smart enough to figure out that if the Humboldt administration would treat a successful coach like crap that they could very well do it to him in the future. He should have not been engaged in such plans with the head coach still on the job. He should have had enough class and respect for Bland that he should have persuaded the administration to talk with Bland since they didn't have the backbone to do the right thing. This may be the sorriest firing I can remember.Don't get me wrong Humboldt can do what they want but they have shown no class at all in the stinking episode.

Did you forget he IS a successful coach...at middle school?