Coach Bland (HOSED) by Humboldt

GCPioneer

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

explain to me why/how a "football booster club president" has any say or input in such a matter as firing and hiring of a football coach!!?? Humboldt High is not a "state university" nor a "private institution" where $$ moves the meter.....please tell me that your post is purely speculation and hear-say!?

That rumor is a strong one which doesn't make it true, but the caliber of the people spreading it are such that I don't think they are lying. I know many good people in Humboldt who are saying the rumors concerning the role of the booster president is totally on target.

explain to me why/how a "football booster club president" has any say or input in such a matter as firing and hiring of a football coach!!?? Humboldt High is not a "state university" nor a "private institution" where $$ moves the meter.....please tell me that your post is purely speculation and hear-say!?

In response to your specific question it goes like this. Community support for football in Humboldt is lacking at best. People aren't exactly lining up to run the booster club, in fact there is no line at all. Therefore the guy running the boosters has a voice that is perhaps louder than most who holds his position in other places. His voice wasn't the determining factor but it was a contributing factor for sure. My guess is that he wasn't campaigning for Reid but he wanted rid of Bland, which indirectly helped Reid.

LOL, winning in middle school is ALOT different than winning in high school, lol... How is this not good ole boy system? A coach is fired, and probably wouldn't have been notified today had he not asked administration, and there's a new coach hired within 2 hours of it being publicly known....

For all of the people who don't know coach Reid. He is flat out a winner! He led the Humboldt basketball team to a state championship in 1976. He was one of the best running backs to play at Humboldt. He went on to UT and a brief stint with the Raiders.

He Returns to his hometown and dedicates the past 30 years to Humboldt education. He has been offered greener pastures but stayed loyal to his community.

He has become a winning coach at the Middle school level in both football and baskeball. His football team winning the gibson county championship. his basketball team winning their portion of the State championship.

His football pedigree is that of a life long learner of the game from the assitant coach level in High School Football. He learned from the fantastic football coach John Tucker.

Junior was responsible for molding one of the greatest backfields in Tennessee footbal history. Kelcey Williams, Maurice Jelks, Marcus Bonds, Carl Williamson.

The evidence provided by the State Legislature in Tennessee is right here: http://www.capitol.t...ill/SJR0302.pdf

Here is a small portion of what the state resolution says:

A RESOLUTION to honor and congratulate coach John Tucker

and the 1995 Humboldt High School football

team on being Tennessee Secondary School

Athletic Association Class 3A runner-up.

WHEREAS, Head Coach John Tucker and his very capable coaching staff Assistant

Coach Ron Canada, Assistant Coach David Duncan, Assistant Coach Steve Flowers,

Assistant Coach Randy Newsome and Assistant Coach Dorrington Reid have performed

their duties with proficiency and dedication

So this is not a fluke, Good Ole Boy Network, or Racial. This is about the community. Bringing in a loyal dedicated and more than capable coach is about bringing this community together as it was in 1995 when Humboldt Football was the end all be all.

Thanks for your dedication to your community Coach Reid! The players are getting more than a coach. They are getting an example of how to lead and be loyal.

Edited by dollar1906

In response to your specific question it goes like this. Community support for football in Humboldt is lacking at best. People aren't exactly lining up to run the booster club, in fact there is no line at all. Therefore the guy running the boosters has a voice that is perhaps louder than most who holds his position in other places. His voice wasn't the determining factor but it was a contributing factor for sure. My guess is that he wasn't campaigning for Reid but he wanted rid of Bland, which indirectly helped Reid.

Ok...next question....If the "booster club president" "wanted rid of Bland"....why is he/she allowed to be the booster club president to begin with? The job description is to help raise funds to and for the betterment/furtherment of the football program...regardless of who is the head coach!.....when these individuals lose sight of their mission...and start "slinging their weight" around....it's perhaps time to appoint someone new to that role. (not that it is an easy role to fill) Booster club president is a job....not a position!

Ok...next question....If the "booster club president" "wanted rid of Bland"....why is he/she allowed to be the booster club president to begin with? The job description is to help raise funds to and for the betterment/furtherment of the football program...regardless of who is the head coach!.....when these individuals lose sight of their mission...and start "slinging their weight" around....it's perhaps time to appoint someone new to that role. (not that it is an easy role to fill) Booster club president is a job....not a position!

Btw...the credentials of the new coach is not what is at question here. I trust he is an outstanding person, coach, educator....nonetheless, Humboldt has a mess in which others nearby are going to reap the rewards of...

Edited by QBClubPrez

For all of the people who don't know coach Reid. He is flat out a winner! He led the Humboldt basketball team to a state championship in 1976. He was one of the best running backs to play at Humboldt. He went on to UT and a brief stint with the Raiders.

He Returns to his hometown and dedicates the past 30 years to Humboldt education. He has been offered greener pastures but stayed loyal to his community.

He has become a winning coach at the Middle school level in both football and baskeball. His football team winning the gibson county championship. his basketball team winning their portion of the State championship.

His football pedigree is that of a life long learner of the game from the assitant coach level in High School Football. He learned from the fantastic football coach John Tucker.

Junior was responsible for molding one of the greatest backfields in Tennessee footbal history. Kelcey Williams, Maurice Jelks, Marcus Bonds, Carl Williamson.

The evidence provided by the State Legislature in Tennessee is right here: http://www.capitol.t...ill/SJR0302.pdf

Here is a small portion of what the state resolution says:

A RESOLUTION to honor and congratulate coach John Tucker

and the 1995 Humboldt High School football

team on being Tennessee Secondary School

Athletic Association Class 3A runner-up.

WHEREAS, Head Coach John Tucker and his very capable coaching staff Assistant

Coach Ron Canada, Assistant Coach David Duncan, Assistant Coach Steve Flowers,

Assistant Coach Randy Newsome and Assistant Coach Dorrington Reid have performed

their duties with proficiency and dedication

So this is not a fluke, Good Ole Boy Network, or Racial. This is about the community. Bringing in a loyal dedicated and more than capable coach is about bringing this community together as it was in 1995 when Humboldt Football was the end all be all.

Thanks for your dedication to your community Coach Reid! The players are getting more than a coach. They are getting an example of how to lead and be loyal.

That's all wonderful but are you trying to say those great "credentials" justify the classless way this was handled? Bland is a good man and a proven good coach,. How would you feel if Reid were handled this way in a few years? Reid's credentials aren't the issue here. The only issue is that the Humboldt administration handled this in a terrible manner and should be ashamed. And for that matter Reid is a little suspect since he surely met with administrators about replacing a coach who knew nothing about what was going on. Being a coach he should have more respect for the position than that.

Dollar, my question to you is, did Coach Bland not meet the requirements to continue coaching at Humboldt? I'm not disputing that Coach Reid wasn't a great athlete or a great middle school coach, but he is replacing a legendary coach that had to go to administration to find out he was fired. I'm not bashing Coach Reid in any way, I just find this wild that Bland did nothing but win at Humboldt and ultimately got screwed out of his job. And also, bringing in Reid had to have been on the mind of administration while Bland was out in the heat working his butt off to keep Humboldt competitive. Bland was screwed over no matter what way you look at it.

The fact of the matter is that we do not know the whole story and probalby never will. Yes Balnd had a good run there. He was able to make the playoffs. He had winning seasons. The thing is they just decided to go in a different direction. It happens all over America. In the corporate world, college, pro, and high school.

Was it done in a politcaly correct fashion? NO!

Does the school admin have the right to make these decisions? YES!

Coach Reid would have been stupid to turn down the job. People are saying he is suspect for accepting it...If you were offered a promotion at work would you take it....You may say NO on this message board...but deep down you would say YES