DII-AA teams need to leave TSSAA NOW!

shakinthefat

Someone mentioned the private schools would begin rampant recruiting if they formed their own association, why would they need to forget ethics just because the TSSAA could no longer enforce rules on them?

They wouldn't. In North Carolina the private schools are separate from the public schools, and their recruiting rule is the same as for private schools under the TSSAA. There has been no rampant recruiting in football in NC -- public school football there is stronger than private school football by a wide margin, but where there has been a noticeable difference is in basketball. In NC, AAU coaches can also coach high school basketball teams, private or public. (This may also be the case in TN) Some of the best AAU coaches are affiliated with the private schools. The result has been that private school hoops in NC is off-the-charts strong, and the public schools suffer. Many of the public schools won't play the private schools in hoops. What it has ALSO done is create "super-league matchups" like the fantasy high school football league for TN-KY-OH between different private schools that are must-see attractions, as well as create serious interest displayed by prospective student-athletes in going to private schools.

The biggest difference? Private schools in NC are allowed to give merit aid to student-athletes. Game-changer if that ever happens in TN football.

So let's have some more fun. Let's pretend the playoffs included the top four teams from each division for a total of 12 -- four first-round byes. Based on this year's records, what would the postseason look like?

North Division

1. Trinity (9-1)

2. Lexington Catholic (8-2)

3. Elder (7-3)

4. Moeller (7-3)

Central Division

1. Ensworth (10-0)

2. Christian Brothers (9-1)

3. MUS (8-2)

4. Brentwood Academy (8-2)

South Division

1. Marist (9-1)

2. Baylor (7-3)

3. Lovett (6-4)

4. McCallie (4-5)

Byes: Trinity, Ensworth, Marist, Christian Brothers

MUS vs. Lovett

(Winner visits Trinity)

Lexington Catholic vs. McCallie

(Winner visits Christian Brothers)

Baylor vs. Moeller

(Winner visits Ensworth)

Elder vs. Brentwood Academy

(Winner visits Marist)

Some fun matchups. Thanks for indulging my nerdiness.

Are you nuts! There is no way Baylor nor McCallie would ever play Marist. Those cats still want to win, and they an't going to do it in that format.

Are you nuts! There is no way Baylor nor McCallie would ever play Marist. Those cats still want to win, and they an't going to do it in that format.

As I emphasized, I'm not saying everyone (or even anyone) is interested in actually forming a league like this. I'm drawing up what that hypothetical league might look like.

Edited by WesVLT

Marist is always good year in and year out. I also think there base for getting students (Atlanta) is greater than yours. (Chattanooga)

I have no issue with private schools……. If a kid wants to attend it’s his choice, no private school I know of held a gun to a kids head.

But let’s talk facts why can’t the privates just play with the public schools?

TSSAA started in 1969 they were all together. They TSSAA split it up in 1996; my public school education tells me it was 27 years. In those 27 years the TSSAA awarded 86 gold balls. 27 of them went to private schools. That means 59 of them went to public schools. So what’s the issue? Oh Brentwood Academy got into some peeing match with the TSSAA and they spit them. Oh by the way of those 27 titles 8 went to Brentwood Academy. So my question is why are they separate. Now I got my facts from Tennessee football data base, please correct me if I am wrong but it shows D2 and D1 starting in 1997. And the TSSAA started in 1969.

I have been blasted the past few weeks from my friends at Baylor that we (East Ham) are scared to play… But East Ham is going to play Riverdale and Dobyns Bennett, next year so I call bull on that. I was told that why would we go over there and play them, so they can beat us with our old players. “We will take your players and we then want you to play us so we can beat you’re a*s HA†I don’t by it, put them in one hat and lets play football. I saw Baylor and McCallie play they were good, nothing I would be scared to play. Saw Ensworth play not too sure I would want to play them but hey to be the best you’ve got to play the best. Put all the D2 schools in 5A and all the D1 schools in 2A or 3A. Just my opinion.

I am here Reddad!!!!!!

A proposal to unify all public and private schools in the regular season before separating them in the playoffs was denied by the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association’s Legislative Council on Wednesday.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20121205/SPORTS07/312050133/TSSAA-votes-against-public-private-multiplier-changes?odyssey=nav%7Chead

Trousdale County High School submitted the proposal. Trousdale County schools superintendent Clint Satterfield, a former Yellow Jackets football coach states:

“We’re all members of TSSAA, so we all play together during the regular season and then when we start tournament play then we would separate,†Satterfield said. “I think private schools have a distinct advantage over public schools.â€

“Some people really like (the idea),†Satterfield said. “Some people really hate it. I think the larger schools don’t like it because the Class 5A and 6A schools say, ‘I’ve got to play against Brentwood Academy, Ensworth, MUS, McCallie and Baylor. I don’t want to play them. They’re going to see my kids and recruit my kids.’ If their kids are really good, those schools have already got their eyes on them anyway.â€

Division II private and Division I public will never be allowed to combine regular seasons or playoffs.

Good private football schools will soon not be able to schedule public schools. The TSSAA seems not to care.

• 1 month later...

In Mississippi they seperate the publics and privates. Top to bottom the privates aren't as good, but I would bet that if Baylor and McCallie don't want to do the league Jackson Academy and Jackson Prep would do it. I do know that JA and Prep have played schools from as far away as Ohio and California in the past so they would probably love something like this league you proposed. Both schools (and Madison Ridgeland Academy as well) currently play publics, but most privates in Mississippi do not.

The Mississippi league has schools in Louisiana and Arkansas playing with them because there is no such league in those states. The biggest difference is that the Mississippi schools aren't recruiting to the level that the others are currently. They certainly could do that, but public school kids would struggle to keep up academically due to the VAST difference in the level of education required. They have a much larger gap than Tennessee in that depertment.

The private schools should completely split from the TSSAA. Public schools created this mess let them play meaningless games with no crowds

Really what you have in this situation is a two sided thing. The public school education has been declining for several decades. People were looking for better education AND better sports so privates took advantage of that. Therefore, the central issue in the lawsuit was recruiting by private schools because they saw an opportunity to get better athletes and jumped.

If the private schools hadn't been recruiting kids away from the publics then there would never have been a discussion about splitting things in the first place. Recruiting of public school athletes led to the lawsuit and the arguments, which was all a bunch of bull, in my opinion, because the publics couldn't compete. So the split is really about the quality of education on the public side and recruiting on the private side. This meant publics couldn't get to a level playing field with the privates so they sued to stop them from getting better (i.e. I can't beat you so I'm going to hold you back by making you suck like me).

I know...."we didn't recruit, that's a lie"....blah, blah, blah. Fact, privates recruit students and athletes. Fact, privates offer assistance to help people and some privates give families money to pay their tuition (see MBA....and others we don't need to name here). Fact, publics have nothing that can compete with this because their education is free, their education is poor by comparison, they have no money and their facilities, equipment and support is poor by comparison. Fact, the split was inevitable because privates have money and when people who have money can't win they buy what is needed to win. Simple capitalism, ala New York Yankees.

I say this not to denegrate what the privates are doing. I think its perfectly fine to do these things because competition makes us all better. However, don't try to put this off on the public schools as if they went to private schools and said, "hey, could you please destroy public school athletics in Tennessee by taking all our best players, then blaming us for it?"

Let's just call it what it is....competition. Both sides are obvious, both sides know what is going on and both sides are playing trying to win. Public school football is always going to be better in areas where there is no private school. Private school football will always be better in metropolitan areas with lots of athletes. I personally hope that this continues because competition breeds opportunity. The TSSAA just needs to recognize it for what it is and get on board by showcasing both sides.

Edited by DeadlyCatch

• 2 weeks later...

Public school football is always going to be better in areas where there is no private school.

That is not always true...some good public programs with private schools nearby. In Nashville area:

Brentwood HS.....Brentwood Academy and CPA

Franklin HS.....BGA

Overton HS....Ryan

Beech HS.....JP2

Guess MBA has control of west Nashville as well as the University of Ensworth