DII-AA teams need to leave TSSAA NOW!

shakinthefat

That is not always true...some good public programs with private schools nearby. In Nashville area:

Brentwood HS.....Brentwood Academy and CPA

Franklin HS.....BGA

Overton HS....Ryan

Beech HS.....JP2

Guess MBA has control of west Nashville as well as the University of Ensworth

I'm sure I agree about MBA and EHS owning West Nashville. It might be ancient history now but my son was on the 2007 MBA team and the toughest game they played all year was against Hillsboro.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I like the idea of public and private mixed, I hate that when playoffs start the private schools only have to win three games, matches, etc and could win state, when a private might have to win twice as many. I know overall middle/east tn. is better than west/memphis, but over here in Memphis the big, good city schools can hang with MUS and Cbhs. It's a hard question to ponder, and some here act like the private schools don't recruit. It happens, some schools more than others.

I favor a complete split between publics and private schools. Because here in Chattanooga you have the two big schools McCallie and Baylor but then you have all of the small private schools which seem to end up taking more from the public schools than Baylor and McCallie. I kind of like the idea of a super league for the big private schools with teams from other states. At the very least then we could put our private schools up against some the better and more nationally known programs like the schools in the Cincinnati Atlanta and Louisville areas. The smaller schools need their own league too probably more so then the big schools. As far as the Nashville area goes its one of the fastest growing areas in the south. I have been spending a good bit of time over that way lately working and it's amazing how many people I have met that have moved to the mid-state recently.

• 7 months later...

Questions that would need to be answered:

1. If TSSAA restricts publics from playing the privates (if D2 separates) like Georgia did, how do you make schedules in sports like, basketball, baseball, volleyball, etc? Football is the easiest.

2. Similar question for those schools with middle schools who might be restricted who they can play?

Many more out there, but those are the big questions out there.

• Upvote 1

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment. I have had boys play for state championships on both public and private sides. There needs to be a complete split between publics and privates (can still play each other but no impact on their playoff standings). Then the publics need to fix the open zone issue as well.

It makes no sense for them to compete within the same system as it makes no sense for NASCAR to compete against Formula 1. Nothing bad about either but just two different animals.

+1

Technically, EVERY student at a private school is "recruited."  There is no student base defined by geographical proximity to a school. 

If Joe Blow average might-ride-a-bench kid who lives in the "zone" for Public HS X ends up at Private HS X, nobody cares one bit because he doesn't affect the school's won-loss record.

But if John Doe stud jock ends up at a private school, then it's they "recruited away" OUR stud from us  - as if the kid were the property of the public school in whose zone he lives.  In other words, you "stole" WINS away from us.

Guess what?  So what?  Half the teams are winners and half are losers.  Always going to be that way.  And which half your team falls into ultimately means nothing.  It says nothing about your character or your kid's character.  

It's all about winning and losing in sports when it should be about winning and losing in life.  I attended private schools most of my "school years" and though it was a source of pride when we won, it didn't faze me for more than a moment if we lost.  I was there for an education that would afford me the best chance to succeed in life.  And I got it.  The quality of that education had nothing to do with how many games or championships we won.  The knowledge gained in playing sports with regard to teamwork, responsibility, focus, dedication, loyalty etc were there whether you won or lost.  You even could argue that you gained more valuable life lessons from losing. 

Therefore I find it troubling when people decry the "loss" of Joe Superstud to local Private HS.  They would deny the kid a chance at a better education for their own selfish reason of what?  more wins for my old public HS or my kid's HS? 

However, with the way so many think nowadays, it probably is best to keep the publics and privates separate.  There is an ongoing concerted effort by politicians to "level the playing field" and guarantee that everybody is a "winner" in all aspects of our lives.  This is counter to what would exist in an integrated school system. 

Edited by owlbooster

owl booster, I agree some what with what you are saying, however one must not assume they are getting a better education just by going to a private institution, not every foot fits every shoe, sometimes public schools are better equipped to help your child. If you are college bound, then a school like Baylor, MBA, or an MUS may be the better choice, but not always. Its all about the best fit for your child. There have been many students enroll at these schools and transfer back to public school to become very successful and move on to college. Its all about choice. My thoughts are that at the end of each year, student athletes would be able to attend what ever school they wanted to. We already do that with incoming ninth graders, they are eligible at any school they may want to attend, as long as the school will accept them. This needs to be the rule each year. Once a student athlete enrolls and practices then current transfer rules would take effect. The reason I have this opinion is that those who have the money to transfer and move legitimately are already doing this even in the middle of the year, but for those who are not able to do this financially are stuck with their situation. This would at least give all students a choice at the end of each year. Those who are in coaching need to understand they do not own their players. If you have a good program, players and families will come and want to be apart of it whether private or public. Whether schools realize it or not, its everyone for themselves at this point thanks to common core and linking test scores with schools. Every principal should be out there recruiting the best students and teachers to their school if they want to keep their job.