DII-AA teams need to leave TSSAA NOW!

shakinthefat

Gov - I never said that going to a private necessarily means getting a better education.  It always depends on the student and his parents and what your goals and expectations are.  There probably aren't too many "shop" classes at the "preparatory" privates.

There were a few public schools where I could have gotten an equal education and even had more options available to me.  Fortunately I was "zoned" for one of these HSs and could have gone there.  In 2013, it is now a "magnet" school.   My father was a graduate of this HS and very successful yet he insisted that I and my 2 brothers go to MUS. I even had a neighborhood friend who transferred back from MUS to this HS in 10th grade.  He kidded me how he got to study Russian, meet girls at school, AND got a scholarship to Harvard. 

There are numerous reasons why parents make the sacrifice to send their kids to a private school.  With sports, its the obvious: most of the time you have better coaches, facilities and equipment.  In academics you may not have better teachers - there are some fantastic ones everywhere - but the facilities again are usually better, especially in the area of science labs - there usually is NO comparison.  Not all privates are Christian centered but they pretty uniformly don't tolerate disruption,  teach morals and ethics, and often provide a better "atmosphere" for learning. Some parents may consider coed schools a distraction.  You can select a private school that fits your needs.  If forced to go to a zoned public, you may have to take what you get.  Not every kid can get into a "magnet" school.

Part of our country's continuing drive for "equality" unfortunately can extend toward providing an "equally" poor education for those not able to pursue other options.  That's when financial aid becomes so important.

Edited by owlbooster

White station

quote name="owlbooster" post="3097283" timestamp="1385659683"]

Gov - I never said that going to a private necessarily means getting a better education. It always depends on the student and his parents and what your goals and expectations are. There probably aren't too many "shop" classes at the "preparatory" privates.

There were a few public schools where I could have gotten an equal education and even had more options available to me. Fortunately I was "zoned" for one of these HSs and could have gone there. In 2013, it is now a "magnet" school. My father was a graduate of this HS and very successful yet he insisted that I and my 2 brothers go to MUS. I even had a neighborhood friend who transferred back from MUS to this HS in 10th grade. He kidded me how he got to study Russian, meet girls at school, AND got a scholarship to Harvard.

There are numerous reasons why parents make the sacrifice to send their kids to a private school. With sports, its the obvious: most of the time you have better coaches, facilities and equipment. In academics you may not have better teachers - there are some fantastic ones everywhere - but the facilities again are usually better, especially in the area of science labs - there usually is NO comparison. Not all privates are Christian centered but they pretty uniformly don't tolerate disruption, teach morals and ethics, and often provide a better "atmosphere" for learning. Some parents may consider coed schools a distraction. You can select a private school that fits your needs. If forced to go to a zoned public, you may have to take what you get. Not every kid can get into a "magnet" school.

Part of our country's continuing drive for "equality" unfortunately can extend toward providing an "equally" poor education for those not able to pursue other options. That's when financial aid becomes so important.

White station

quote name="owlbooster" post="3097283" timestamp="1385659683"]

Gov - I never said that going to a private necessarily means getting a better education. It always depends on the student and his parents and what your goals and expectations are. There probably aren't too many "shop" classes at the "preparatory" privates.

There were a few public schools where I could have gotten an equal education and even had more options available to me. Fortunately I was "zoned" for one of these HSs and could have gone there. In 2013, it is now a "magnet" school. My father was a graduate of this HS and very successful yet he insisted that I and my 2 brothers go to MUS. I even had a neighborhood friend who transferred back from MUS to this HS in 10th grade. He kidded me how he got to study Russian, meet girls at school, AND got a scholarship to Harvard.

There are numerous reasons why parents make the sacrifice to send their kids to a private school. With sports, its the obvious: most of the time you have better coaches, facilities and equipment. In academics you may not have better teachers - there are some fantastic ones everywhere - but the facilities again are usually better, especially in the area of science labs - there usually is NO comparison. Not all privates are Christian centered but they pretty uniformly don't tolerate disruption, teach morals and ethics, and often provide a better "atmosphere" for learning. Some parents may consider coed schools a distraction. You can select a private school that fits your needs. If forced to go to a zoned public, you may have to take what you get. Not every kid can get into a "magnet" school.

Part of our country's continuing drive for "equality" unfortunately can extend toward providing an "equally" poor education for those not able to pursue other options. That's when financial aid becomes so important.

And how would any of the opportunities defined above be diminished if "stud athlete" and his teammates play only other private schools in games that qualify them for the playoffs? The last few posts on this subject vehemently argue for the continuation of an obvious disadvantage for the public schools in that regard. You don't have to separate from TSSAA to achieve your goals as advertised, petition them for a complete split in classification. For everyone who enjoys rivalries with the  division opposite themselves, an eight regular season qualifier game format with two cross division (or throwaway) games included would satisfy the need...

No.All private Schools should split from Publics and TSSAA.By the way how did Signal Mountain get in trouble and the 2 All Star teams in Blount County continue to get out of district kids without even a slap on the wrist??? Best QB William Blount has is a Tornado though he could walk to Billy Blount.I bet if Upperman had legal transfers from White.Co,Monterey and Cookeville the Tornadoes would be raising holy heck and the TSSAA would make them sit out a year!!! Yet transfer to Blount County All Star team 1 or 2 you are automatically eligible to play

• 2 weeks later...

I for one hope the private schools do split from the public schools.  They really do need to form their own athletic association and only play each other.  Take it even further and let magnet schools, charter schools and schools with open enrollment join too (if they choose). Then maybe all this complaining can stop and the people posting on here can finally win a championship in something without having to play these dreaded privates, the Maryvilles, the Alcoa's and so on.  But since human nature dictates that people are never satisfied, I'm sure there will be some whining of some kind. I bet the quality of competition in this new league would be great.  You don't think kids would want to play in a high powered association that would get them exposure?

Edited by QSouth89
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I for one hope the private schools do split from the public schools.  They really do need to form their own athletic association and only play each other.  Take it even further and let magnet schools, charter schools and schools with open enrollment join too (if they choose). Then maybe all this complaining can stop and the people posting on here can finally win a championship in something without having to play these dreaded privates, the Maryvilles, the Alcoa's and so on.  But since human nature dictates that people are never satisfied, I'm sure there will be some whining of some kind. I bet the quality of competition in this new league would be great.  You don't think kids would want to play in a high powered association that would get them exposure?

same reason kids choose to play in the SEC instead of Conference USA.  Athletes want to play were they either 1) get playing time or 2) win games 3) good chance to play for State.

and basically by lumping the open enrollment in with privates, the rest of the state does not have to play any team from Memphis / Shelby County. 

That would be too easy for the T$$AA, they probably think they would lose money.

The TSSAA would lose money if all the private schools in Tennessee left the TSSAA and formed another association.  The public school state tournament series will make money on football & basketball but they would lose big money on all the other sports.  The private school association would be make money on most every state tournament series that they charge admission to attend. 

Public schools are turning down some quality opponents (DII-AA) due to Division I playoff wild-card criteria for overall wins. So DII-AA teams are coming up short scheduling for 2013.

Is the TSSAA concerned? If so what are they doing to support DII-AA schools with this bias disregard when it comes to scheduling?

I think you will see in the future all non division DII-AA opponents will be out of state.

It is apparent to me that the TSSAA does not support private schools and the private schools should terminate membership and form a private school association. Sad because public and private school kids love playing each other.

http://franklinhomepage.com/filling-football-schedules-tough-task-for-some-cms-10239

Comments

Come schedule teams from 7-AAA. We have no problem playing private schools