Best match at Team State?

TNwrestler2015

It shows with Cleveland and cbhs wrestling in big deep tournaments esp for cbhs some kids wrestling almost 10 matches in Kansas City...be interesting to see what happens at state

Usually get around 8 matches at KC if memory serves from last year, 3 or 4 in pool play on 1st day and the tournament the 2nd day. Great tournament, guaranteed lots of quality matches and don't have to worry about a wrestler going two and out.

After going to both KC and Osceola tournaments I think they are very even as far as depth and talent, Osceola quarterfinals and semifinals were comparable to most tournaments finals. Main difference between the two is the round robins and multiple brackets at KC (two 16 man brackets wrestle back to 16th) while Osceola is a straight up dbl elimination 32 man bracket. I think KC and the Cheesehead are the only two tournaments to use this format and guarantee 8 matches in two days regardless of wins/losses.

Both great tournaments and very deep, lot tougher than state.

Usually get around 8 matches at KC if memory serves from last year, 3 or 4 in pool play on 1st day and the tournament the 2nd day. Great tournament, guaranteed lots of quality matches and don't have to worry about a wrestler going two and out.

After going to both KC and Osceola tournaments I think they are very even as far as depth and talent, Osceola quarterfinals and semifinals were comparable to most tournaments finals. Main difference between the two is the round robins and multiple brackets at KC (two 16 man brackets wrestle back to 16th) while Osceola is a straight up dbl elimination 32 man bracket. I think KC and the Cheesehead are the only two tournaments to use this format and guarantee 8 matches in two days regardless of wins/losses.

Both great tournaments and very deep, lot tougher than state.

You're correct that both of these tournaments are strong. KC though is on a different level from Osceola, 9 nationally ranked teams (Allen #9, Collinsville #17, #30 Edmond North, Park Hill #35, Blue Springs #37, Kearney #39, Tuttle #40, Bettendorf #41 and CBHS #48). Osceola had zero ranked teams. The Granite City tournament on CBHS schedule is a better comparison with Osceola, but still probably stronger due to having nationally ranked Neosho at the time, a number of tough Illinois and Missouri teams. Now throw away the comparison of competition, Cleveland certainly appears to be peaking at the right time and will be tough for anyone in TN to handle.

Edited by smwwrest

Just basing it off what I personally saw the past few years at both tournaments. Say what you want but a lot of times the only difference in teams ranked in the 25 to 50 range and some of the better unranked teams is exposure. There were many nationally ranked wrestlers at this event and this was the deepest tournament in Florida.

Osceola would probably win against 5 to 7 out of those 9 ranked teams at KC. The top 4 teams at Osceola could compete very well at KC. Some of those ranked teams are still holding on to previous year's rankings and slowly dropping.teams ranked in the 30-50 range move up and down and in and out of the rankings a lot cuz its just not as nailed down as the top 20 to 25 teams.

Look at last year, nationally ranked Collins Hill Georgia takes 2nd at KC behind nationally ranked Bettendorf, Iowa with all of those other ranked teams in the tournament and places 5th at the Cougar Inv in Florida behind runner-up and unranked Camden from Georgia, #3 and unranked Osceola and #4 and unranked South Dade. There was only one ranked team at the tournament at that was Brandon and they won it.

Not taking away from KC tournament because I liked it, just saying after attending both they are very comparable in talent and depth despite how many nationally ranked teams are at each one, it can be misleading.

Edited by rlwest40

Just basing it off what I personally saw the past few years at both tournaments. Say what you want but a lot of times the only difference in teams ranked in the 25 to 50 range and some of the better unranked teams is exposure. There were many nationally ranked wrestlers at this event and this was the deepest tournament in Florida.

Osceola would probably win against 5 to 7 out of those 9 ranked teams at KC. The top 4 teams at Osceola could compete very well at KC. Some of those ranked teams are still holding on to previous year's rankings and slowly dropping.teams ranked in the 30-50 range move up and down and in and out of the rankings a lot cuz its just not as nailed down as the top 20 to 25 teams.

Look at last year, nationally ranked Collins Hill Georgia takes 2nd at KC behind nationally ranked Bettendorf, Iowa with all of those other ranked teams in the tournament and places 5th at the Cougar Inv in Florida behind runner-up and unranked Camden from Georgia, #3 and unranked Osceola and #4 and unranked South Dade. There was only one ranked team at the tournament at that was Brandon and they won it.

Not taking away from KC tournament because I liked it, just saying after attending both they are very comparable in talent and depth despite how many nationally ranked teams are at each one, it can be misleading.

I would have to say the two arent comparable at all. Im not sure about the tournament you were refering to in Florida last year where Osceola placed highr than Collins HIll but they both wrestled at the Kyle Maynard duals and I dont think osceola did all that well. Collins Hill sometimes sends their jv to lesser tournaments and this may have been the case at the Florida tournament you are refering to. That being said... I think Cleveland will dominate the state duals and individual states. They seem to have everyone helthy now and clicking on all cylinders. I dont think anyone will be whitin 20 pts in a dual and 50 pts at the individuals.

I agree. I also think Willson Central can beat Soddy. I also believe Cleveland can beat Soddy. I think that they can all beat each other. Should be very interesting when any 2 of these 3 meet.

I have enjoyed watching WC develop their program over the last 4 years. Their

coaches are great! They have the support of the school and the team will get better

over the next two years....BUT I believe they are not ready for the top spot yet.

Yes, they may have some close matches at the duals, but I believe they just can't handle

the top teams at full strength. The brackets will decide how far they will advance.

Beating a full strength SD or Clev. team is asking way too much.

I don't think they could "earn" 20 points against Cleveland.

Edited by HSDAD

I would have to say the two arent comparable at all. Im not sure about the tournament you were refering to in Florida last year where Osceola placed highr than Collins HIll but they both wrestled at the Kyle Maynard duals and I dont think osceola did all that well. Collins Hill sometimes sends their jv to lesser tournaments and this may have been the case at the Florida tournament you are refering to. That being said... I think Cleveland will dominate the state duals and individual states. They seem to have everyone helthy now and clicking on all cylinders. I dont think anyone will be whitin 20 pts in a dual and 50 pts at the individuals.

That's your opinion but like I said I've been to both tournaments. The cougar inv. Is a well known tournament in florida and you can check results and seeds and see for yourself that collins hill varsity was there not their jv. Osceola and south dade and springstead and st thomas are all very tough teams and have all held national rankings in the past. Osceola won their pool at kyle maynard last year (I happened to be at this one the past couple years too) and then lost a 2 point dual against baylor. Brandon was 1st then collins hill then baylor and soddy for 3rd and 4th. Osceola only had 1 loss there so I wouldn't say they didn't do too good just a different format than a tournament which is what I was talking about. Just shows another example of how close unranked teams are even with ranked teams. That and the fact that the kc tournament and osceola are pretty even were the points I was trying to make earlier.

That's your opinion but like I said I've been to both tournaments. The cougar inv. Is a well known tournament in florida and you can check results and seeds and see for yourself that collins hill varsity was there not their jv. Osceola and south dade and springstead and st thomas are all very tough teams and have all held national rankings in the past. Osceola won their pool at kyle maynard last year (I happened to be at this one the past couple years too) and then lost a 2 point dual against baylor. Brandon was 1st then collins hill then baylor and soddy for 3rd and 4th. Osceola only had 1 loss there so I wouldn't say they didn't do too good just a different format than a tournament which is what I was talking about. Just shows another example of how close unranked teams are even with ranked teams. That and the fact that the kc tournament and osceola are pretty even were the points I was trying to make earlier.

There is a huge difference in top ranked teams and non ranked teams. Osceola lost to a Baylor team that was depleted with injuries and not their normal Baylor teams of the past. baylor was no where near a top team on the national rankings. Now there may be some unranked teams close to some teams ranked in the lower echelons but the top ranked teams are there for a reason.

Possible Match-ups:

106 HM Blansit (Clev) vs #4 Dickeson (WC)

113 #1 Debian (Clev) vs #6 Cerrito (WC)

120 #2 Stevison (Clev) vs #3 Insalaco (WC)

126 #1 Oliver (Clev) vs Unknown (WC)

132 #1 Hamilton (Clev) vs #5 Small (WC)

138 #2 Taylor (Cev) vs #5 Richard (WC)

145 #4 Simpkins (Clev) vs HM Jenkinson (WC)

152 #2 Hamilton (Clev) vs HM Davidson (WC)

160 #1 Lopez (Clev) vs Unknown (WC)

170 VonPotts (Clev) vs HM Meyers (WC)

182 #1 West (Clev) vs HM Baltz (WC)

195 #3 Stukanov (Clev) vs Unknown (WC)

220 Gaither (Clev) vs #2 Kramer (WC)

285 #4 Kennedy (Clev) vs Unknown (WC)

Any predictions?

106 and 220, but that's about it. Could look like BC score?

Not going to be pretty.