Officials. Please someone HELP!

TNHSfan

The bigger fact I see here is that even though we have all these guys complaining about how bad the officiating is (and it is bad), not one of you guys are signing up to make a difference. $85 cash for 3 hours work a couple of nights a week is a good 2nd income for most.

No, the real issue here is why is it okay to marginalize (leave flat) pay and thereby perhaps quality to those that control and determine the outcome and risk of sport but not okay for those in executive offices and for an Assocation that sits on over $2 million and will spend another $2.5 million in lawsuits et. al.? I don't want to be an official...I truly admire those that are for its hard work and should not be secretly marginalized for those that want to and are capable for the sake of executive benefits and other frivolous perogatives. That my friend is the issue here.

Not sure how you think the TSSAA is at fault. The money they make has nothing to do with paying officials. That is the sole responsibility of the schools playing. You can only raise that price so high before your market cannot handle it. I know of several schools that have had to suspend spring sports during their seasons because they simply ran out of money to pay for officials. TSSAA charges the same schools a fee to participate, but that is nothing compared to normal expenses. Yes, they get 18% of the gross proceeds from tournaments and hall of fame games they get everything, but nothing from regular season games. Hall of Fame games are a money grab for sure, but no schools are forced to play them. Schools that do play figure they will make money on concessions and get a couple of extra games in.

I will be the first to admit that there need to be changes at the TSSAA, but raising prices for officiating is not the answer. If $28 dollars an hour is not enough for you then you probably aren't doing it for the money anyway. Football gets $90. Tell me where you can work part-time for 3-4 hours and clear $90?

Really? I was told it was the cheerleaders by the FC Principal who talked to the officials about it. If it was what you said, THAT would actually make sense and I would agree with it.

What principal told you that? Surely you didn't take that as a serious answer. The cheerleaders might be responsible for a technical DURING a game - not during warm ups. The ref told me personally it was for running through the other team's warm up drills. The call was legit, though I can't say I've ever heard it being called. I know it caught Coach Cleve off guard. I'm sure we have done it every home game this season, and probably most years in the past.

The reason the TC boys ran over to our student section to gloat is because they know they are finished in football for many years to come and that beating FC in basketball is about all they have to hang on to before Watertown smashes them in the finals. Also, in my very first post I stated that TC won because they are the best free throw shooters I have ever seen. FC lost. Period. Doesn't change the fact that the officiating was horrid. Even TC knows that.

EXACTLY! I will never believe that they are satisfied with beating us in basketball. Football is their religion. We are not good this year. We wore too many guys out over the past 2 football, basketball and baseball seasons. Many of our athletes just decided to take a break this season. I was so embarrassed at the vulgarity coming out of the mouths of some TC fans. I'm actually sorry that we had to schedule them in football next year. I'll be glad when we don't have to be around it anymore.

Edited by GeorgeBailey

Not sure how you think the TSSAA is at fault. The money they make has nothing to do with paying officials. That is the sole responsibility of the schools playing. You can only raise that price so high before your market cannot handle it. I know of several schools that have had to suspend spring sports during their seasons because they simply ran out of money to pay for officials. TSSAA charges the same schools a fee to participate, but that is nothing compared to normal expenses. Yes, they get 18% of the gross proceeds from tournaments and hall of fame games they get everything, but nothing from regular season games. Hall of Fame games are a money grab for sure, but no schools are forced to play them. Schools that do play figure they will make money on concessions and get a couple of extra games in.

I will be the first to admit that there need to be changes at the TSSAA, but raising prices for officiating is not the answer. If $28 dollars an hour is not enough for you then you probably aren't doing it for the money anyway. Football gets $90. Tell me where you can work part-time for 3-4 hours and clear $90?

Good post Big Chief....a couple of thoughts...

1) Officials put more time into officiating than just game day...training/travel so I'm sure the hourly rate is much less than $28.00 not to mention expenses of being certified.

2) Any job whose comp is relaxed for 3-4 years will see outmigration of the better ability so long as other options are available as in this case JUCO, NAIA, DII for the better officials and the TSSAA has recongnized this.

3) Yes officals' pay is out of the schools programs pocket but so are gate, participation, playoff, hall of fame and other TSSAA fees that compromise resources and ability to pay other expenses...in this case officials. If the Association took less then schools would be able to pay more for officials. It just seems odd to me that so many programs struggle top make ends meet while its governing Association does well enough to sit on $2million in cash while passing along compensation increases that would be the envy of anyone in any athletic department in TN.

What principal told you that? Surely you didn't take that as a serious answer. The cheerleaders might be responsible for a technical DURING a game - not during warm ups. The ref told me personally it was for running through the other team's warm up drills. The call was legit, though I can't say I've ever heard it being called. I know it caught Coach Cleve off guard. I'm sure we have done it every home game this season, and probably most years in the past.

Don't like putting names on here but it was the "top guy at FC".

Just an overall comment here after reading some of these posts. The problem is not, and never will be, the pay. There needs to be some system of review. Just to throw those guys out there with zero accountability is ridiculous. One of the officials in that game (TC at FC) also did a game last year when FC was at W'town. W'town lost that game and both sides were complaining about how bad he was, not just the losing team. Why is a guy like that allowed to keep doing this? What is the system for removal?

I wouldn't call a basketball game for any amount of money. But while I thought the calls were too tight, I think I could easily say I've seen worse. I guess as long as it's called fairly, bad both ways, I can live with it. I've never seen the guy who called the technical to start the game. And it wasn't that he missed the call. I just think it's odd to call an "administrative" technical foul that obviously had nothing to do with competitiveness or sportsmanship.

TNHSfa

Just an overall comment here after reading some of these posts. The problem is not, and never will be, the pay. There needs to be some system of review. Just to throw those guys out there with zero accountability is ridiculous. One of the officials in that game (TC at FC) also did a game last year when FC was at W'town. W'town lost that game and both sides were complaining about how bad he was, not just the losing team. Why is a guy like that allowed to keep doing this? What is the system for removal?

Well said...there is no accountability, which I do believe to be the main culprit, and the TSSAA likes it that way because that in turn eliminates thier responsibility/accountability although thier bylaws specifically require such. However, I do believe that on the margin pay does matter and it would certainly appear to matter when it comes to executive compensation. If pay doesn't matter in retaining the best officials, why then is it so important to executives.

By the way check out teflon's most recent attempt at voiding any and all responsibility.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Sports/article.php?id=104222

EXACTLY! I will never believe that they are satisfied with beating us in basketball. Football is their religion. We are not good this year. We wore too many guys out over the past 2 football, basketball and baseball seasons. Many of our athletes just decided to take a break this season. I was so embarrassed at the vulgarity coming out of the mouths of some TC fans. I'm actually sorry that we had to schedule them in football next year. I'll be glad when we don't have to be around it anymore.

I heard/seen plenty of vulgarity from the FC side as well. Difference on my view is I love it. There is plenty of hatred on both sides and that's what a rivalry is about. Trust me, the last 2 years for FC have been great but I bet the games they'll remember the most besides the championships are beating TC. Same goes for those boys who played basketball for TC. Not much tradition and you beat the defending state champs. Granted your down but still, they'll remember it forever jus cause it was FC. I hope the rivalry continues for many years in all sports. I enjoy every second.

I wouldn't call a basketball game for any amount of money. But while I thought the calls were too tight, I think I could easily say I've seen worse. I guess as long as it's called fairly, bad both ways, I can live with it. I've never seen the guy who called the technical to start the game. And it wasn't that he missed the call. I just think it's odd to call an "administrative" technical foul that obviously had nothing to do with competitiveness or sportsmanship.

me neither George, shine making pays better than putting up with idiots

I heard/seen plenty of vulgarity from the FC side as well. Difference on my view is I love it. There is plenty of hatred on both sides and that's what a rivalry is about. Trust me, the last 2 years for FC have been great but I bet the games they'll remember the most besides the championships are beating TC. Same goes for those boys who played basketball for TC. Not much tradition and you beat the defending state champs. Granted your down but still, they'll remember it forever jus cause it was FC. I hope the rivalry continues for many years in all sports. I enjoy every second.

You love the vulgarity? There's a point where we will never see eye to eye. I know our fans can get out of hand just like yours. I hate to lose to TC in any sport. But you'll never convince me beating us in basketball makes up for the recent losses you had to us in football .