Officials. Please someone HELP!

TNHSfan

Jacketnation, you must be a TC transplant. You actually appear rational in your thought process and provide reasonable ideas in the process. You should run for superintendent up there. Maybe you could control Ms Seay & some of those out of control thugs we saw the other night.

I think Mr. Satterfield does a fine job. Don't want no part of that. Lol I just call it like I see it. I hate to see officials take players out of the game. It's happened to us too. We had some officials in our Christmas tournament who were from the Nashville area. They called about 12 combined fouls all game. They did an excellent job because the game flowed and they let the players decide the game. I am all TC and will make this bold prediction. They will beat FC again next match up and will also beat them in football next year. Regardless of what ppl assume, the athletes are starting to come of age. It'll show.

I believe officials are doing a good job when they aren't noticed. I don't know how it is in other parts of the state but middle tn refs call way too many fouls in my opinion. 80 free throws combined in that game the other night is a little extreme. Let them play.

Have to agree on this. There are times when fouls need to be called, but they are so overdone this year most of the time. When DeKalb played Upperman, Upperman had something like 47 free throws. Can't remember how many DeKalb had, but when one team is getting around 50, which happens on mulitple occasssions this year at many schools.. Come on.

Edited by TigerPride23

Do you really think that a ref that gets a chance to move up to JUCO/NAIA/D2 would come back down to JV/ Var for 10 or 15 bucks more? NO WAY. They don't move up because of money, they move up because they are "good enough" to move up. At those levels, there is accountability. At TSSAA levels, there is no accountability from the refs or the TSSAA.

Refs in high school areas, summer circuits know they have the pull. The new refs get sent to a crappy game and the bad, veteran refs get the good games so they can be seen.

You are right in that those that have left will probably not come back but if the differential in pay where narrowed, the better ones might stay at the high school level. The bottom line here is that the priority of good officiating by either pay or accountability processes is just not a priority for this Association. And this business of the fact that "schools pay for it" as the reason why to freeze pay (as if schools don't directly or indirectly pay for everything else that the Association does including Executive Comp) is a mere pedestrian end around designed to fuzz reality as to the real priority here.

EricBlair, I did a little math and if we added just $5 dollars to every official per game in all sports this year it would have cost our school about $1500 extra. That might not be a big deal in a county school with good support, but in the inner city that is the difference between having a sport and not fielding a team. It DOES make a difference.

truth of the matter you have it backwards. it is out of the hands of the schools and the refs and tssaa call all the shots. it is the only bussiness where who pays the salary of the people have no say. everybody wants to say its about kids that is so far from the truth.

EricBlair, I did a little math and if we added just $5 dollars to every official per game in all sports this year it would have cost our school about $1500 extra. That might not be a big deal in a county school with good support, but in the inner city that is the difference between having a sport and not fielding a team. It DOES make a difference.

BigChief...sorry to have implied that the cost was insignificant even of a $5.00 increase. I am sure your $1500 number is accurate and it is indeed significant. My point is why does the Association generate enough revenue to support salary increases at the executive level along with making some $350,000 to $500,000 a year and sitting on over $2 million in cash not able to defer/reallocte some of its take so that schools can afford to pay more of their costs, whether its to improve officials, cleats or whatever. To find priority, trace money and the money in this case seems to be accumulating at the Association/Executive levels, while schools that actually earn the money struggle with everything from paying officials and making other ends meet....and that just feels a little weird.

Edited by Ericblair

I think Mr. Satterfield does a fine job. Don't want no part of that. Lol I just call it like I see it. I hate to see officials take players out of the game. It's happened to us too. We had some officials in our Christmas tournament who were from the Nashville area. They called about 12 combined fouls all game. They did an excellent job because the game flowed and they let the players decide the game. I am all TC and will make this bold prediction. They will beat FC again next match up and will also beat them in football next year. Regardless of what ppl assume, the athletes are starting to come of age. It'll show.

we'll see. As bad as FC is in basketball, I think they will take care of business against TC next time. We tend to improve as the year goes along. Football, who knows? No doubt TC is tired of losing to FC (love to say that). Goodpasture will also make the season interesting for TC. We'll just have to let the boys decide it on the field.

we'll see. As bad as FC is in basketball, I think they will take care of business against TC next time. We tend to improve as the year goes along. Football, who knows? No doubt TC is tired of losing to FC (love to say that). Goodpasture will also make the season interesting for TC. We'll just have to let the boys decide it on the field.

I say FC takes it. They lost by 4 points the other night. I figure 8 of the fouls called were a complete joke. That takes away maybe 10 points from TC's free throws. Also, let's not forget that TC's record is less than stellar, just like FC. Football.....FC is losing most of their lineman which is what won us the last two state titles (by the way, did I mention we won back to back state titles?) so we will see. Don't see TC beating FC in 2013. Maybe 2014. Maybe.