Officials. Please someone HELP!

TNHSfan

I heard/seen plenty of vulgarity from the FC side as well. Difference on my view is I love it. There is plenty of hatred on both sides and that's what a rivalry is about. Trust me, the last 2 years for FC have been great but I bet the games they'll remember the most besides the championships are beating TC. Same goes for those boys who played basketball for TC. Not much tradition and you beat the defending state champs. Granted your down but still, they'll remember it forever jus cause it was FC. I hope the rivalry continues for many years in all sports. I enjoy every second.

Great post and you are dead on. I love every second as well and you are correct about the rivals. Whether FC beats TC or the other way around, it is always like a state championship atmosphere. The game prior to this (RBS @ FC) was so quiet, dead and not well attended by either side. When it's an FC/TC game it's packed and loud. I, for one, am glad that TC/FC will still play in football even though FC moved to D2.

1) Officials put more time into officiating than just game day...training/travel so I'm sure the hourly rate is much less than $28.00 not to mention expenses of being certified.

Most all game start at around 6:00 with most nights games lasting 3 hrs. Girls and Boys. 85.00 for two games. that is the 28 dollor rate..

Most officials travel two the games after they work their normal jobs. then travel back home. If they are lucky it will be only 1 hour. That puts the rate at 17.00 an hr. still a good part time job but after fuel and dues and fees to their assigning office plus uniforms that gets the hourly rate to 5.00 to 6.00 an hour. that isn't even min wage.

officials need a RAISE and I don't even Officate. Some times you pay for what you get. if you want better people calling games. pay more money......

1) Officials put more time into officiating than just game day...training/travel so I'm sure the hourly rate is much less than $28.00 not to mention expenses of being certified.

Most all game start at around 6:00 with most nights games lasting 3 hrs. Girls and Boys. 85.00 for two games. that is the 28 dollor rate..

Most officials travel two the games after they work their normal jobs. then travel back home. If they are lucky it will be only 1 hour. That puts the rate at 17.00 an hr. still a good part time job but after fuel and dues and fees to their assigning office plus uniforms that gets the hourly rate to 5.00 to 6.00 an hour. that isn't even min wage.

officials need a RAISE and I don't even Officate. Some times you pay for what you get. if you want better people calling games. pay more money......

No offense 34ME but none of what you said will make a bit of change. No one seriously would think that if we pay them more that they will start calling the games better. You are correct, they need to be paid more BUT even if they are, they are still going to do the same sloppy job. They aren't going to think, "now that I am making more money I am going to do better" unless your point was that if we pay more we will get a better quality of official from new people coming in that will be willing to do it now that the pay is better. Accountability from the league is the only answer.

not sure how this math works. how did an hour from work to gym to home cost $33? The rate went from $28 to $17? Then, the rate drops another $12 per hour for fees and dues and uniforms and gas? So each ref spends $33 a night just riding to the game. then another $36 per night on fees, dues, uniforms and gas.

So out of the 85 bucks a ref gets each night, they spend $69 each night on gas, fees, dues and uniforms. And the ref ends up making $16 a night profit???? before taxes.. Oh but they do get all the concession food they want. And most high schools actually cater food for the refs.

No job counts drive to and from home as part of the hourly wage. Same goes for fuel, shoes, certifications and fees. These are just part of your expenses to be a ref. The costs are covered through the whole year of working not every night.

But looking at your logic, I do now slightly understand why we have refs that do not call anything. They want the game to get over as fast as it can so they can make more per hour.

I am not saying they are over paid or under paid but you are correct, you pay for what you get. The problem is the refs know the schools have no choice. They are the only ones in town. If the school wants to play sanctioned games, they have to use the refs. When you raise the pay of the refs, the cost at the gate goes up, the food and drinks go up. And by the end of the night, the refs still were bad and you lost money at the gate and conseesion stand.

not sure how this math works. how did an hour from work to gym to home cost $33? The rate went from $28 to $17? Then, the rate drops another $12 per hour for fees and dues and uniforms and gas? So each ref spends $33 a night just riding to the game. then another $36 per night on fees, dues, uniforms and gas.

So out of the 85 bucks a ref gets each night, they spend $69 each night on gas, fees, dues and uniforms. And the ref ends up making $16 a night profit???? before taxes.. Oh but they do get all the concession food they want. And most high schools actually cater food for the refs.

No job counts drive to and from home as part of the hourly wage. Same goes for fuel, shoes, certifications and fees. These are just part of your expenses to be a ref. The costs are covered through the whole year of working not every night.

But looking at your logic, I do now slightly understand why we have refs that do not call anything. They want the game to get over as fast as it can so they can make more per hour.

I am not saying they are over paid or under paid but you are correct, you pay for what you get. The problem is the refs know the schools have no choice. They are the only ones in town. If the school wants to play sanctioned games, they have to use the refs. When you raise the pay of the refs, the cost at the gate goes up, the food and drinks go up. And by the end of the night, the refs still were bad and you lost money at the gate and conseesion stand.

Leave the gate and concessions stuff alone....the issue with pay isn't that it would help those that are currently officiating officate better...its to encourage the better ones to stay versus officiating elsewhere (JUCO/NAIA/D2). Pay is important to retaining talent at any level. Although I do agree that accountability is key but that is as likely as pigs flying or exectutive salary freezes. The TSSAA just doesn't buy into all that. The increased costs could be offset with what is sent to the TSSAA that obviously doesnt need to the money other that to pass along executive pay hikes. Again, why is it more important to pass along hefty pay increases to administrators/executives but not to those that actually call and control games?

The game the other night did NOT have a problem of them not calling anything due to wanting to get out as quick as possible. They blew the whistle every time some one took a step. The one guy I am thinking of (and the problem with many of them) is that they are control freaks and want everyone to know that they are "large and in charge". A truly good official should know that "yes" they are the authority of the game but they are also a "servant" of the process.

I believe officials are doing a good job when they aren't noticed. I don't know how it is in other parts of the state but middle tn refs call way too many fouls in my opinion. 80 free throws combined in that game the other night is a little extreme. Let them play.

There were 80 the other night in the TC @ FC game? Really? I don't doubt it. I think TC scored literally about half of their 65 on free throws. Again, best free throw shooting I have ever seen. Ever. (and I use to work with the NBA). I think they missed 2 out of like 35.

Jacketnation, you must be a TC transplant. You actually appear rational in your thought process and provide reasonable ideas in the process. You should run for superintendent up there. Maybe you could control Ms Seay & some of those out of control thugs we saw the other night.

By the way TC hit only 12 field goals vs FC but nailed 40 free throws. Three of FC's starting five fouled out as well as the FC 6th man. The other two FC starters both had 4 fouls. Meantime, TC had either 0 or 1 player foul out!! If FC could have got it to double OT maybe we would have finished with an all FR lineup.

I'm already looking forward to the rematch. Maybe a football game will break out!

Edited by Volzchamps

i agree TSSAA officials are under paid. I've reffed myself and its tough to call. Especially if the teams are bad.

Here's a proposal for the TSSAA. Up their pay to $100 per game but allow each coach boy & girls from each TSSAA school to blackball one official per year and make that official pay the school back $500 if blackballed. I'm betting the worst officials would soon be forced out by multiple blackballs and the good ones would rise to the top, get more games, and get the extra cash in the process.

Leave the gate and concessions stuff alone....the issue with pay isn't that it would help those that are currently officiating officate better...its to encourage the better ones to stay versus officiating elsewhere (JUCO/NAIA/D2). Pay is important to retaining talent at any level. Although I do agree that accountability is key but that is as likely as pigs flying or exectutive salary freezes. The TSSAA just doesn't buy into all that. The increased costs could be offset with what is sent to the TSSAA that obviously doesnt need to the money other that to pass along executive pay hikes. Again, why is it more important to pass along hefty pay increases to administrators/executives but not to those that actually call and control games?

Do you really think that a ref that gets a chance to move up to JUCO/NAIA/D2 would come back down to JV/ Var for 10 or 15 bucks more? NO WAY. They don't move up because of money, they move up because they are "good enough" to move up. At those levels, there is accountability. At TSSAA levels, there is no accountability from the refs or the TSSAA.

Refs in high school areas, summer circuits know they have the pull. The new refs get sent to a crappy game and the bad, veteran refs get the good games so they can be seen.