officiating!

moorecounty2003

Has been horrible in 9a ...Tssaa should look into some refs officiating games and calling to benifit relatives ...ans not only that the level of officiating as a whole being horrible and kids coming of the floor injured, with busted lips, claw marks all over and bruises.. Needs to all be cleaned up. The Moore County game with MTCS was the second game in one week its been dispicable!TSSAA needs to really look into some of this activity not just in this district but everywhere and make the game better for these girls instead of doing what theyre doing and taking no pride in what they do just to get a paycheck.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second that it has been horrible and kids can get injured badly due to horrible officiating, fans just want to see a fair game where the kids decide the winner but sometimes it feels like the refs have their preference, after all they are human to I guess but I sometimes wonder if they have had dislikes of certain schools growing up and it still lingers, well I say its not that serious treat these kids the way you would want your own family to be treated because what goes around come around.

This season I have witnessed the worse officiating. It seems that the officials want to be responsible for ruining the game for the players. The players practice work hard to do the right things on the court. It's sad when officials don't know the game. They let players hurt each other and don't call fouls then someone does a perfect job boxing out or blocking a shot and the whistles blow almost in anticipation of what they think is going to happen. I have been to 3 JV girls games where 1 team shoots over 35 foul shots and the other team shoots less than 10. I was an official for 5 years in northern Virginia in the early 90's but had back surgery ending what I considered my favorite job. I know it's a different view from the stands but walking and changing and dragging pivot foot are missed all the time with official standing right beside player. Wish officials had to be held accountable and evaluated better instead of good old boys club of officials that think they do no wrong. Have a great night at the games.

There can't be anything worse than what happened last night in DeKalb. In the boys game a smith co. player dribbles the ball up the court, gets pressure put on him, backs up TWO whole complete steps over the half court line. His whole body and both feet were behind it and he comes back across and the official that was literally standing on the side of the court at half court sees nothing and the play goes on. I know close calls are missed sometimes and it's hard when you're actually on the court keeping up with the action, but that was the most obvious thing I've witnessed.

No use complaining about officials. TSSAA (nor does anybody else) doesn't even evaluate because they will tell you that the Board of Control has not given the authority and could truly care less. Worse still is that official pay has been left flat (while pay and benefits to TSSAA Executive staff has skyrocketed) so the better ones have migrated to other levels making matters worse. And yes, player safety is affected also. Weird that our Association will spend millions of dollars on the legalities of recruiting issues, executive pay, or to keep its inner working from public view yet could care a less about the outcome of contest and worse yet, control over ever increasing risk to children of playing sport.

From what I have seen this season, there have been officials out of shape and having trouble keeping up with the pace. This is embarrassing to themselves and to the game itself. Officials should be required to pass a physical fitness exam of some kind.

again, the flat pay does not have much to do with officials "migrating" to higher levels. Officials move up because they are asked to move up because of their ability. Juco, NAIA, D2 officials are recruited. You just cannot say I want to do it and they let you.

Officials are in a no win situation. One set of fans and often both sets of fans scream and yell and bad mouth and insult and demean them all night long. Put on your "big-boy" or "big-girl" panties and be a ref. They miss plays and calls. That is part of the game.

How about 200 people come to your office and start berating you at your job for each time you do not do something right. Or let's just take this thread. Each time someone spells a word incorrectly or uses incorrect grammar, let's all degrade and berate the poster.

I think the refs are calling the games the way the fans want the game to be called. When the refs try to call the game a little tight, fans strart screaming about "let them play" "stop calling tick-tack fouls". Or when they let them play, fans are upset about the refs not calling anything and the players are going to get hurt.

Blaming the refs is the very reason our children think it is someone else's fault that they lose and never their own mistakes. Cheer for your team. Use the energy to support your team and not complaining about the refs.

Doug S...you have some valid points.

Pay is certainly not the only issue but if pay did not matter, even on the margin, then why pay anything. And being asked to officiate at the next level doesn't always mean you would go and I suspect pay then would factor in one's decision.

For sure, blaming bad outcomes on officiating sends a wrong message and public degrading of anyone is indeed wrong. But as an accountability/competency messure, coaches get fired, players get cut, or players get pulled from games (and sometimes in rather humbling ways) when thier ability or effort is just not there. So why not also for those officiating that are just not capable especially if player saftey becomes an issue. Excusing suspect calls away by saying something was a judgment call doesn't make it all right anymore than a player saying to a coach after a boneheaded play that "it was a judgement call". As it stands now, neither the TSSAA or local associations have any processes to remove officials that are simply not qualified. It just doesn't seem to be a priority anywhere and the pay freeze seems to be consistent with all that.

And as for spelling or other writing errors, if one where a jounalist, one would expect accountbility on such matters.

Edited by Ericblair

You want to talk about math, here we go:

High School Basketball: 85.00 for 2 games. 42.50 a game. thats 10.63 a quarter. 1.33 a minute. Divide all that by two teams to control is a whopping 0.67 a minute.

College Basketball: (JUCO) 130.00 for 1 game. 130.00 a game / 65.00 a half / 3.25 a minute / 1.63 per team per minute. Over a dollar more a minute....

Why in the world would anyone want to stay and do high school basketball? Even if you bumped up the pay in high school, YOU STILL HAVE TO REFEREE TWO GAMES and then listen to fans that don't have a clue on what to/not to call in a game. Their minds are trained to follow the ball and react to things like contact or that just plain look funny.

There is accountability in high school refereeing: it's called POST-SEASON. If you are playing on a Tuesday and Friday night, chances are ALL the officials are working. Just like in any job setting, you have your top performers and bottom of the group. Somebody has to be it. If you have 30 machines and have to use three employees on every machine, are you going to put your top 3 on one machine? NO, you are going to spread it out so all machines run optimally for the effeciency of the company.

THINK PEOPLE!!!