Open school zones

BKisler

WB 85 chooses shut up.

Not yet plumb, just working. Saban during his LSU days liked to " stretch" the no contact rules to the max. Father of a fullback that ended up at UT told me how impressed his son was by a visit he received from Saban during a no contact period. When word got out about some of the "bad timing visits" Saban had to back off the recruiting of his kid. No big deal, I'm sure this is standard practice by alot of coaches. Let me guess tornadoes78, you just can't believe it!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not yet plumb, just working. Saban during his LSU days liked to " stretch" the no contact rules to the max. Father of a fullback that ended up at UT told me how impressed his son was by a visit he received from Saban during a no contact period. When word got out about some of the "bad timing visits" Saban had to back off the recruiting of his kid. No big deal, I'm sure this is standard practice by alot of coaches. Let me guess tornadoes78, you just can't believe it!

Certainly heinous stuff there 85. I cannot believe the NCAA has not tracked that fullback down and made Saban pay for his crime. Maybe because it is just an unsubstantiated rumor? For another good chuckle tell me what coach Cal's sin was.

WB85 this response proves the point that countless others and I am trying to make. An unnamed father of an unnamed player alleges something and it is repeated anonymously on a message board. The penalty was that Coach Saban "had to back off the recruiting of his kid". I haven't done a lot research on this but on a first look I didn't recognize this as a defined NCAA penalty for an infraction. On another point Coach Saban was at LSU from 2000 to 2004 so this had to have occurred at least 8 years ago. Given the heated rivalries these things most likey would be reported to the NCAA.

Yes, financial aid for the Division II schools is like a scholarship. It does not have to be paid back at all

All this squabbling about money will soon be over!Comissioner Huffman (in his infinate wisdom) is supporting a bill along with Gov. Haslem to enact a system using "vouchers".For those of you not familiar with these vouchers,hold on to your socks!Essentialy,vouchers provide parents the alternative to public education...$xxxx.xx amount of tax dollars (your tax dollars) currently are alloted to the public education system per child(B.E.P. fund),and adjusted slightly per system pertaining to the local tax base.The voucher enables the parent or guardian of any child to choose to apply that dollar amount toward a private school education.In effect this pays the "scholorship" of any athlete to any private school that chooses to accept them for admission.The privates still reserve the right to deny anyone admission..."cherry picking" whichever student they like,for whatever reason,be it academics or athletics.The public system losing the student loses those funds as well,but is still held to the same standards for gpa and graduation rates,which will remain rigid regardless of how many of the top students are siphoned off by the privates.Think the privates will accept little Johnny with a 2.5 gpa and falls down when he chews gum...or little Jimmy with his 3.7 gpa and an 88 mph fastball his freshman season?Probably too late already,but call your Congressman ...it can't do any more harm.

All this squabbling about money will soon be over!Comissioner Huffman (in his infinate wisdom) is supporting a bill along with Gov. Haslem to enact a system using "vouchers".For those of you not familiar with these vouchers,hold on to your socks!Essentialy,vouchers provide parents the alternative to public education...$xxxx.xx amount of tax dollars (your tax dollars) currently are alloted to the public education system per child(B.E.P. fund),and adjusted slightly per system pertaining to the local tax base.The voucher enables the parent or guardian of any child to choose to apply that dollar amount toward a private school education.In effect this pays the "scholorship" of any athlete to any private school that chooses to accept them for admission.The privates still reserve the right to deny anyone admission..."cherry picking" whichever student they like,for whatever reason,be it academics or athletics.The public system losing the student loses those funds as well,but is still held to the same standards for gpa and graduation rates,which will remain rigid regardless of how many of the top students are siphoned off by the privates.Think the privates will accept little Johnny with a 2.5 gpa and falls down when he chews gum...or little Jimmy with his 3.7 gpa and an 88 mph fastball his freshman season?Probably too late already,but call your Congressman ...it can't do any more harm.

What about Little Billy who has a 2.0GPA and is 6'4 220 lbs and runs a 4.4 as a soph? Surely they wouldn't except him over a 3.5 GPA and 5'2 125 lb young man. HA !

Plumb and nado89, I think you missed my point. I could have named any college, pro, high school or AAU coach, who ever. Most are going to work every angle, gray area, bend rules, what ever it takes to have the best team. Make new rules to stop one thing and something else will come up. Same for ooz, d-1, d-2, multipliers anything you want to talk about. It's in the eye of the beholder what you call these guys, like them and you call them smart, dislike them and you call them cheaters. Thats all I was trying to say. You guys have beat me on this subject so I give up, you win! CHEATERS!! LOL

What about Little Billy who has a 2.0GPA and is 6'4 220 lbs and runs a 4.4 as a soph? Surely they wouldn't except him over a 3.5 GPA and 5'2 125 lb young man. HA !

Depends on which school we're speaking about...that's the beauty of it from their point of view,if academics are more important they'll go with the higher GPA...if football is the forte' Billy could be in,unless a bigger,faster,smarter kid comes along.Publics have to take whomever gets off the bus,make an athlete out of him,keep his GPA up,and last but not least,make dang sure he graduates.Privates have the luxury of picking the kids they want,the ability to deny anyone they don't think is an asset,and now Joe Taxpayer gets to "sponsor" the whole process...even though his kid may be the one turned down for admission.

Depends on which school we're speaking about...that's the beauty of it from their point of view,if academics are more important they'll go with the higher GPA...if football is the forte' Billy could be in,unless a bigger,faster,smarter kid comes along.Publics have to take whomever gets off the bus,make an athlete out of him,keep his GPA up,and last but not least,make dang sure he graduates.Privates have the luxury of picking the kids they want,the ability to deny anyone they don't think is an asset,and now Joe Taxpayer gets to "sponsor" the whole process...even though his kid may be the one turned down for admission.

Before y'all get too upset over the voucher proposal (which is a looooong way from becoming law), most of the D2 schools in the Nashville area have said that they will likely not participate. Thus, no need to worry about Joe Taxpayer footing the bills at those schools. Rather, parents will continue to sacrifice so that little Billy can get the best available education.

Edited by RedRobin

Are those educations really that much better than what can be offered in Williamson County, for example, or do the parents just want the differences or the prestige that comes with it.

Everyone has their own opinion regarding the worth of any particular school. I live in Williamson County but have put two through a very expensive private and would do it again in a heartbeat - VERY satisfied customer here.

• 1 month later...
Guest Sackmaster50

...Privates have the luxury of picking the kids they want,the ability to deny anyone they don't think is an asset,and now Joe Taxpayer gets to "sponsor" the whole process...even though his kid may be the one turned down for admission.

What do you think private school parents have been doing since the inception of private k-12 education!? Uncle Sam still expects that cut from the private school taxpayer to pay for "Joe Taxpayer's" kid to go to their respective public school... Not saying I support that proposal, but it's just the flip side of the story that never goes away for the private school parent. That's fine if "Joe Taxpayer" doesn't want his tax money going to support a private education for somebody else, but why can't there be an exception for the private school parent(s) to get a tax benefit because they're funding something they have no part of when it comes to their children's education...??

Edited by Sackmaster50

What do you think private school parents have been doing since the inception of private k-12 education!? Uncle Sam still expects that cut from the private school taxpayer to pay for "Joe Taxpayer's" kid to go to their respective public school... Not saying I support that proposal, but it's just the flip side of the story that never goes away for the private school parent. That's fine if "Joe Taxpayer" doesn't want his tax money going to support a private education for somebody else, but why can't there be an exception for the private school parent(s) to get a tax benefit because they're funding something they have no part of when it comes to their children's education...??

The difference lies within the fact that there's a choice involved.The public education system is made available for the public,rich,poor,smart,not so smart,special ed.,well behaved to juvinile delinquent,you register and you're in.Public education is just that...a public service available to everyone,while private institutions control who,and when admittance is granted,and is a "choice" made by the parents to "upgrade" the childs education...and that upgrade is not free.How well do you think our society would do if every taxpayer had the discretion of where his/her tax dollar was spent?If you live in a metropolitan area you pay taxes to the city...you don't have the option of deferring taxes to...say... the garbage service of choice,if you "upgrade" to a professional service you pay them AND your taxes.