AAU Top 100

truthsquad

I don't think it is fair to judge the amount of travel or support by just the Top 100 tournaments. Region V has sent far more wrestlers east this year to wrestle in Nashville and AAU tournaments than have or will travel to Memphis for the Top 100. Not to mention that we have been doing this for over a decade and tomorrow will be the first time that a large number of wrestlers have traveled from the east to Memphis other than when required (i.e. last year's regional tournament). Still we understand that Memphis is geographically challenged when it comes to wrestling and get it and don't expect that the numbers traveling West will ever match the number of our wrestlers that travel east. A huge thank you and welcome to those wrestlers that have made the trip to Memphis today or will be traveling tomorrow. We hope the experience will be a good one!!!

Maybe the West didn't send any to your tournament because we are fed up with exactly what were getting back, nothing. For the past 5 years there have litterally been 100's of wrestlers at the Chattanooga tournaments and the payback ratio may be 10 to 1.

Since Chattanooga was brought into the AAU mix 6 years ago (I think), there has been a lot of wrestlers traveling to your town for various tournaments. AAU gave you state tournaments, even though your gym (McCallie) didn't hold the required number of mats according to AAU standards. The rest of the state supports you! Most of your tournaments are always over 500 kids because all other parts of the state contribute. The tournaments in other cities seem to average around 400 and usually there are maybe 20-30 of those from Chattanooga.

Youthcoach--I know you can't force other teams to travel, and we appreciate that you guys at least do your part (sometimes), but we all crow about improving all areas when in reality we are not doing as much as would could be.

I know there are always "reasons" why this team or that can't travel on any given weekend, but it seems there is always an excuse when it comes to showing up out of town for the majority of Chattanooga area youth wrestlers.

I know for a fact that clubs, coaches, and parents in the West are fed up with the lack of interest in supporting wrestling west of Nashville. Why would anyone from the West pack up and spend money at a Chattanooga club when they know the money is not coming back home. Why wouldn't we send our money to clubs in Indiana at least they reciprocate.

You have me at a loss for words. Here I have traveled all the way to Memphis and brought as many of my kids that would come and you are questioning me? Why are you not wondering where the Nashville and Memphis wrestlers are? You have over 2 million people in those two cities and you expect a town of 300,00 to be the bulk of your tournament. As far as your idiotic comments go let me straighten you out yet again. This is the first top 100 tournament you have ever had, so how have we not supported you? Why do you say I "sometimes" bring kids when I have been to every top 100 tournament there has ever been? Your comment about Chattanooga hosting state tournaments is also a joke. We have held one state tournament in all the years we have been in the Aau. If anybody is geting the short end of the stick it is us. We are more centrally located for the majority of the wrestling population (knoxville, Chattanooga and Nashville) than anywhere. The year McCallie hosted the tournament it was a split state tournament. They only hosted the pee wee age groups and they had more than enough mats. It was absolutley the best state tournamnet ever. Its started on time, was over early, had great seating and viewing and an incredible hospitality room which based on your complaints of the Pigeon Forge tournament is so important for you. As far as you coming to Chattanooga to wrestle you dont do it to support us you do it because its where the best competetion and best tournaments are. The reason we dont come to your local weekend tournaments is because we have our own every weekend and we are going to support our local teams first. I dont think thats a hard concept to understand. I could go on and on but not only did I do a sattelite weigh in for your tournament in Chattanooga but now Im having to go through the brackets and fix all the double entires and kids wrestling in two weights and age groups from your region. Being such a stickler for the rules that you are Im suprised you didnt catch that. So while you are at home resting Ill fix it for you like you expect us to fix your wrestling problems as well. Im pretty sure I figured out who you are so I will be sure to find you tomorrow and we can continue our discussion since Im sure you will continue to hind behind your screen name and complain about all the people who try to make a difference.

You have me at a loss for words. Here I have traveled all the way to Memphis and brought as many of my kids that would come and you are questioning me?

First, I am genuinely saying, "Welcome! Thank you for making the trip. We're glad to have you."

But, this is funny. Traveled all the way to Memphis? Big deal! Memphis has been traveling "all the way" to everywhere for the past decade. Welcome to the club! Our wrestlers and parents have to drive at least (3) hours to get to a decent tournament. It's the norm. We've been doing it every weekend for years, don't have to worry about twisting anyone's arm, and it's paying off big!

Let me preface this post by saying, I'm not complaining about how tournaments are run, and I'm not onboard with the thought that began this thread. However, you will see a common theme among many of my posts. Respect the West!

I believe that the West has sacrificed and worked very hard to improve and advance wrestling in their area, while most of the state pretty much went about their business and ignored them. Then, in my opinion, generally disrespected and looked down on any progress or success that obviously followed.

It's been my experience in the last 7 years of being involved in TN youth wrestling, that the rest of the state, instead of fostering this growth, has at best tolerated it. I understand that we're geographically challenged. But, the sport of wrestling teaches that there are no excuses. So why has the AAU continually used this as one??? We haven't!

In the past, it was always a "get on board with what we're doing" mentaility..."sorry that you're so far out there in no-man's land." With that said, it appears that this is finally beginning to change. Which is evident by people having to drive "all the way" to Memphis. It's just too bad that AAU reached out after the fact, and now can't take any credit for the progress in the West.

Again, my posts have a common theme. Respect. Hey everyone, at the end of the day, we're on the same team TN. Don't be threatened by the success in the West, embrace it!

Thank you to those who made the trip... I hope everyone returned home safely. Unfortunately the truthsquad either didn't show, or couldn't reveal himself. Whatever the case I think we can dismiss his postings as some form of personal disappointment.

However, there is an issue that I would like to shed some light upon because there seems to be a common misconception that Memphis doesn't support the rest of the state. The Memphis area runs a USAW local developmental season that lasts about eight weeks. It wasn't until two years ago that our area had more than a club or two who wrestled past December. That being said, by having these types of AAU events in our area we are starting to see more and more clubs competing longer without having to travel several hours to do so. The end result of this over the next couple of years will be more and more kids competing in AAU and making their way to the other parts of the state to wrestle.

But if you look back at the past several years the one club out of Memphis that did compete beyond the local season you will see that their wrestlers did travel West to East, South to North, and well beyond what some travel in two weekends. Even West to further West… I know personally I have traveled to Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Georgia, Alabama, Indiana, Ohio and Virginia with wrestlers. If you were to look at the ratio of Memphis kids who travel compared to the rest of the state and the miles we travel you will see that we rack up far more miles.

The problem has been that when we have asked about the rest of you coming to Memphis in years past we always got the same response... You all are too far away, or it’s a USAW tournament. But, the Wave kids continued to travel!

So after the region restructuring we agreed to host the New West Region tournament last year. Mind you the restructuring was about balancing the numbers of wrestlers per region and not because of Memphis! The Old West Region had close to 500 wrestlers…

What we got in return was complaint after complaint, after complaint about having to come to Memphis. For one weekend for an event that was a state tournament qualifier. There were parents who refused to allow their wrestlers to compete, changed programs to be in another region so as not to have to travel and in fact even had one club host another tournament on the day of regionals to prove their point in protest.

Regardless, you still continue to see wrestlers from the Wave, Arlington, Houston and Elite (not Murfreesboro) at AAU events. Captainchaos, please check your records as there was a Mustang Wrestling club competitor in Pigeon Forge.

Sure we could have been bitter about the whole region thing and we could have even be bitter about the numbers going into yesterday’s event but we are about growing the caliber of wrestler from the Memphis area. We are not rich with high school programs like other areas of the state and don't have the luxury of having a DI program in our backyard but if you give us time you will see the rewards of our efforts and ultimately this whole thing will be a mute point.

Nonetheless, if you really wish to complain about us not traveling... Continue to do because there are a lot more supporters of Memphis’ effort in the state this morning than there were two days ago and likely to be again next Sunday morning!

SAC--who says I wasn't there? And its funny you make a snide remark about me to attempt to distance yourself, but the truth is, we are talking about the same issue here. Like it or not you are agreeing with the Truthster.

Youthcoach--I'm not sure about your comments on fixing the tournament, this is not my tournament to run and while I appreciate your efforts, you wouldn't be "fixing" my tournaments. Also I guess you were unable to locate me on Saturday???? Also with regards to hosting the tournament at McCallie--my point was not that the tournament was not good, even though you say it was the best tournament ever and there was plenty of space when in reality the floor area was not sufficient and overly crowded. Anyway, my point about McCallie hosting is that MANY other clubs throughout the state have begged to host for several years and was always dismissed based on the space requirements of their gyms. The rule was a gym had to be able to hold at least 8 mats in order to host a state tournament. I know SEVERAL who were not given the opportunity because their gyms couldn't hold 8 mats. The problem here is that an EXCEPTION was made for Chattanooga to host with only 6 mats. COUNTLESS other programs would have accepted the same opportunity if given the chance. And don't give me some bs line about central part of the state as you have just made the point that there are far more people in the west.

TO338 is absolutely correct the West is growing, in spite of Team TN.

Don't get me wrong, we want in and we are comitted. We see all the positives that are happening because of AAU wrestling in TN and regardless of me pointing out when Team TN has been caught with their pants down, I have been a huge supporter. You think you know who I am, but you honestly have no idea. I am involved and have worked behind the scenes with most of you here in order to help grow our area,. I don't openly push as hard because the resistance is too strong and I don't want to destroy what has been built so far, but I'm one of the few who are closely involved who are not among the "yes men." So why remain anonymous? Because here I can point out the TRUTH and avoid the animosity toward my team.

CaptainChaos--I appreciate your concern and believe me, we are working diligently to "fix" our region. You said: "Do you really think kids from region 1 or 3 are gonna drive out there for any local weekend tournaments when they can wrestle in there own region? No and that doesnt even make sense." And you made my point exactly. Some in your area are so near sighted that no it would not make sense to travel outside your backyard to support the other parts of the state as they have you. Yes even for the "local weekend tournaments." Its not just the Top 100's. This is my precisely my point!!! You are so focused on your region you can't see the forest for the trees. Supporting other areas AS THEY HAVE YOU for the past several years will pay dividends back in the grand scheme.

The truth will set you free.

Edited by truthsquad