Miss Basketball Thread for 2012-13

CoachT

Elizabeth Masengil broke the all-time scoring record at McMinn Central last night in a romp of a solid Meigs County team. She had 28 points, 10 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 assists against double and triple teams. 22 points in the first half, 17 in the second quarter alone. She currently has 2370 points in her career passing former Miss Basketball and Clemson star, Julie Aderhold (now Goodin). She passed former Lady Vol and member of UT's first national championship, Jennifer Tuggle for second all-time earlier this season. Only played a few seconds of the 4th quarter before being taken out. As I mentioned earlier, no other player in AA can put up those kind of stats against elite competition each and every game. If she doesn't win this award again, it will be a travesty.

There's no doubt that Masengil is very deserving of this award and certainly she is most likely the favorite to win it again this season in Class AA. However, that doesn't take away or diminish from the accomplishments of Grainger's Allison Hodge and what she has done during her career since starting the very first game of her Freshman year. I certainly think she deserves to be nominated as a Junior this year, and in my opinion should be one of the three finalists that are introduced at the state tournament. Masengil will most likely win it, but that doesn't mean that Hodge isn't deserving of standing beside her when the award is handed out. In my opinion, Hodge should be the favorite to win it next year as a Senior, as she stands to also become her schools all time leading scorer and rebounder during her Senior season.

There's no doubt that Masengil is very deserving of this award and certainly she is most likely the favorite to win it again this season in Class AA. However, that doesn't take away or diminish from the accomplishments of Grainger's Allison Hodge and what she has done during her career since starting the very first game of her Freshman year. I certainly think she deserves to be nominated as a Junior this year, and in my opinion should be one of the three finalists that are introduced at the state tournament. Masengil will most likely win it, but that doesn't mean that Hodge isn't deserving of standing beside her when the award is handed out. In my opinion, Hodge should be the favorite to win it next year as a Senior, as she stands to also become her schools all time leading scorer and rebounder during her Senior season.

I hope nothing I said seemed to diminish or take away from Hodge. From everything I've heard and read, she is an outstanding player. Hopefully, both teams make it to State because I would love to see her play.

I would say a solid trio of favorites for AA Miss Basketball selections would be Elizabeth Masengil, Allison Hodge, and Abby Sissom from Cannon County.

I hope nothing I said seemed to diminish or take away from Hodge. From everything I've heard and read, she is an outstanding player. Hopefully, both teams make it to State because I would love to see her play.

I would say a solid trio of favorites for AA Miss Basketball selections would be Elizabeth Masengil, Allison Hodge, and Abby Sissom from Cannon County.

No, not at all. I think all of your posts have been on point. And I think you nailed it with the trio that you listed above. I think those three young ladies are fantastic players and all represent their schools and teams with class. Those three would be a fantastic representation of AA basketball in Tennessee.

In Class A, I agree that Dorothy Dugger from Hampton should be in the conversation for sure.

No, not at all. I think all of your posts have been on point. And I think you nailed it with the trio that you listed above. I think those three young ladies are fantastic players and all represent their schools and teams with class. Those three would be a fantastic representation of AA basketball in Tennessee.

In Class A, I agree that Dorothy Dugger from Hampton should be in the conversation for sure.

I keep hearing big things about Callie Hackett from Smith County too for AA. Anybody know much about her?

CLASS A - FRESHMAN Lakelyn Bouldin (Van Buren Co. High School)

After being double teamed most of the season her stats speak for themselves. She deserves to be considered as a Miss Basketball finalist.

PPG = 21.09

Feild Goal Percentage = 60% (141 of 234)

Free Throw Percentage = 80% (106 of 133)

Rebounds Per game = 10 (213 boards in 21 games)

Assists Per game= 3

Steals Per game = 2.3

Total Points this year so far = 443

8th grade year was pulled up for 4 games - contributing to team advancing to sub-state - 82 points

UNSELFISH, HARDWORKING, DEDICATED basketball player.

Edited by Bballlovethegame

Coaches,

Please consider Brandi Goodman as a AA Miss Basketball nominee. She is currently averaging 22.3 ppg, 14.1 rpg, and 2.3 bpg and a University of Memphis commit. Maintaining her current pace and with a decent tourney run she will have a chance to break the all-time state rebounding record of 1720 held by Nikki McCray of Collierville/Lady Vol/WNBA fame. She is 36 points away from 2000 with seven regular season games left. She is the two-time reigning MVP of District 13AA and two-time TN AA All-State selection. She has led the Lady Rebels to 1) state runnerup her junior year finishing all-state herself; 2) setting school records for victories in a season twice (32 then 35); and school record for victories in a 4-yr stretch (112 and counting). Brandi maintains a 3.9 GPA.

Thanks for your consideration,

--

• Upvote 1

BTW- Brandi Goodman plays for the Obion County Central Lady Rebels who finished as State Runner-Up in Class 2A last season.

It's indeed a great group of young ladies to choose from in Class 2A .

Brandi Goodman is indeed an outstanding player. I've seen her play at state the past two years. I wouldn't be surprised or angry if she won.

Edited by Cody

Coaches,

Please consider Brandi Goodman as a AA Miss Basketball nominee. She is currently averaging 22.3 ppg, 14.1 rpg, and 2.3 bpg and a University of Memphis commit. Maintaining her current pace and with a decent tourney run she will have a chance to break the all-time state rebounding record of 1720 held by Nikki McCray of Collierville/Lady Vol/WNBA fame. She is 36 points away from 2000 with seven regular season games left. She is the two-time reigning MVP of District 13AA and two-time TN AA All-State selection. She has led the Lady Rebels to 1) state runnerup her junior year finishing all-state herself; 2) setting school records for victories in a season twice (32 then 35); and school record for victories in a 4-yr stretch (112 and counting). Brandi maintains a 3.9 GPA.

Thanks for your consideration,

--

I would concur with Redbird, my esteemed colleague, that Brandi Goodman deserves to be a finalist this year. She embodies everything that the award's description is looking for in a Miss Basketball.

• Upvote 1

I keep hearing big things about Callie Hackett from Smith County too for AA. Anybody know much about her?

I seen her play for the first time a few days ago. A sophmore i do believe. Im no bball expert but she plays very well. Great ball handler. Excellent shooter esspecialy from behind the arc. Great speed. Good discipline too. Not very tall tho. But tuff as nails.

I have watched single A ball for many years and am a follower of high school girls basketball. I have seen the Bouldin girl play about 5 games this year. She plays way bigger than a freshman and I would be hard pressed to believe there is any freshman that is out there that has the stats or consistency that she has when she plays. She will play somewhere at the next level I am sure of it. I would venture to guess she already has a few colleges talking to her.

I think she is well deserving to be a Miss Basketball finalist this year.