Middle Tennessee Dream Team

rasslinlite

how is what i wrote a personal attack on anybody, I was explaining how the meeting was done. Everybody was complaining about who is on it and how it is done. I was just trying to shed some light on it. Coach Morris was the last thing on my mind. was actually thinking about my own kid that made the list that everyone is bashing. olson from bga was brought up. he is a heck of a wrestler. but if he is at 138 how was anybody in attendance suppose to know. the only time i saw him he was at 145. I was just saying how can the coaches know everything about a wrestler that they dont coach. another example : seems everybody forgot about Sean Kennedy and he is a heck of a wrestler. it was a blanket statement and not aimed towards anybody in particular and if you think differently then you dont know me very well.

• Upvote 1

You cant be serious.. Your allowing a Hendersonville kid, who by complete luck was even in that match, be the swing vote? Like i said before, Austin was dominating that match and made a mistake. And because of that mistake your gonna say that he isnt the best. I mean really? Everyone in that gym knew that it was a fluke. Richard is the best 138 in middle tennessee and more people would agree than disagree. The coaches who voted him onto the dream team know he is the best. Thats why they voted him the best. Not Simpson.

Olson is a multiple time placer, and lost to arguably one of the BEST pound for pound wrestlers in te state by 3. That was a shock to me. I say Olson 1 Simpson 2 Richards 3

I have to agree 100% it should be less of a popularity contest and based more on actual accomplishments during the season. Leave the politics out of it, it should be decided on the mat instead of family/friends/coaches. That's what most of us love about this sport. Seems very familiar to what a lot of us have seen over the years at the youth level, I remember seeing MOW votes lobbied for, collected, and decided before the finals.

I'm not implying that whoever was picked doesn't deserve it, just saying its a bit premature to pick the best before the season is over. With that kind of thinking we all might as well vote for the teams varsity wrestlers instead of letting them challenge and wrestle-off for a weight class. We could just cancel state and award the medalists according to their votes and ranking while we're at it. I admit that's a bit extreme but honestly not much different than this if you think about it.

Just saying, its a great honor so let the wrestlers decide it on the mat. It will mean much more to them, and the voters (famly/friends/coaches). IMO

State placement would be an excellent place to start judging the best from a certain region. Food for thought.

Wrestle offs, whats that? I thought a Coach just put them where it best suited their own agenda.

It was always an unknown process to me, until now it appears... NOT! :)

Some 8 years ago we were surprised to see one of my other sons win this award at 145 ...after only placing 4th @ state and earlier losing to one of the Bellet boys of MBA and wrestling 152 much of the season and then finishing up at 140 ... losing to K. Holliman of BW. We didn't expect more than 2nd team especially with Kelly Felix @ 145, but Kelly was not given this award, He got that other one... Mid-Tn MOW, leaving an opening :)

PS: coach Gonyea probably campaigned well for Spence

Edited by Sommers

It was always an unknown process to me, until now it appears... NOT! :)

Some 8 years ago we were surprised to see one of my other sons win this award at 145 ...after only placing 4th @ state and earlier losing to one of the Bellet boys of MBA and wrestling 152 much of the season and then finishing up at 140 ... losing to K. Holliman of BW. We didn't expect more than 2nd team especially with Kelly Felix @ 145, but Kelly was not given this award, He got that other one... Mid-Tn MOW, leaving an opening :)

PS: coach Gonyea probably campaigned well for Spence

Cheers!

I think a pretty good system would be to do your picking of a tennessee all star team by waiting to see if they actually make it to state...then go from there...i dont care either way....if yall dont want devan on your dream team... no worries this way...i find it sad that the best in mid tn will NOT be the best mid tn has to offer...im sure another team would love to have him...but for now he will concentrate on winning state

The Middle Tennessee Dream Team isn't actually a team that competes...it is an awards panel that is voted on by the Mid Tenn h.s. coaches (both D-1 and D-2).

Hope that clears things up and Devan has a great shot at taking home a state title!

Many of college footballs highest individual trophys are awarded at the conclusion of the regular season... NOBODY CARES that they dont wait until the conclusion of the bowl season. There will always be people who feel left off of these type of lists. I am pretty sure (at least I hope) they use head to head and common opponents as the first and second criteria. Another rule that it looks like they use is that wrestlers are voted in the weight where the majority of their matches are not where they speculate they will wrestle the championship portion of the season. I would hope that most focused wrestlers are not focused on making or not making a team like this at this point. While it is a nice honor, there is still quite a bit of work remaining. With all that said, I can see arguments for at least two weights that have been talked about on here. Thats the nature of this type of award though.

• Upvote 1

I agree with common opponents and head to head matches should be the criteria for the vote...i also understand if a wrestler hasn't descended to his weight because tssaa descent plan..then he is voted in the weight class he has wrestled most matches...so how does a kid who got the award last yr...was the OW at Soddy invite at 113 by pinning the number 2 and 3 ranked kids in state (at that time) inside a minute this yr..and also received wrestler of the week by a mid tn high school coach...get less votes than a kid who has not wrestled any of these same kids..no disrespect for kid...just wondering...all the stats are on intermat..i believe chatt area has similar award but its awarded after state

Edited by twimbelton

You cant be serious.. Your allowing a Hendersonville kid, who by complete luck was even in that match, be the swing vote? Like i said before, Austin was dominating that match and made a mistake. And because of that mistake your gonna say that he isnt the best. I mean really? Everyone in that gym knew that it was a fluke. Richard is the best 138 in middle tennessee and more people would agree than disagree. The coaches who voted him onto the dream team know he is the best. Thats why they voted him the best. Not Simpson.

I have been around wrestling to many years and that is the way it works. There are certain times that you cannot make a mistake( just ask Josh Lambrecht about his ncaa finals match with Rob Rohn)or you will be severely punished. If you look at the criteria for selection to the dream team you will find that in past years it has been head to head competition and next it goes to common opponents. The coaches that attended the meetingfor whatever reason elected to ignore the criteria that had been in used for many years. With two good teams like Wilson Central and Father Ryan being so close to each other (45 minutes) they should have wrestled in a dual this season and this discussion would not be taking place. IMO, one of the things that is hurting wrestling the most is that the best teams do not work hard enough to schedule each other in a dual match each season. The casual fan will go out and watch a dual match (2 hours) but has trouble sitting in a gym all day for a tournament. The goal should be to promote the sport of wrestling in a positive manner.

Edited by cbg