Science Hill 104 Crockett 10

AlumnI01

Blazer get real! No high school team will pass up an open shot secondly you said it best. You do what you do. SH style is run and gun. The last time they played it was 30 so maybe just maybe Crockett played bad and SH good equals perfect storm. I have to a bunch of games and never thought hey SH is running it up.

This is just plain ignorant. I am on the staff of a AA team who played a A team with an enrollment of less than 40 students earlier this year. It was clear from the time the two teams left the locker room which team was more talented. The A team had only five girls dressed out for the contest. Not one of them even sported basketball shoes. The score could have EASILY been 125-0. No doubt about it. The starters started the game, pressed the first 8 possessions, and then exited the game. The rest of the game, a zone defense was played and players were told not to run in transition, instead work on the execution of half-court offenses, looking to score off of each option available in the offense, not scoring on the same option on back to back possessions. Starters played the first minute of each quarter and then the bench was cleared. The score was kept as respectable as possible at 45-9. This is a case where, like I said, the score could have easily been 125-0, but the coach kept it respectable. The student-athletes on the winning team learned to play with character and respect the game and their opponents. The coach on the losing team, and his players, thanked both the players and coaches time and time again after the game for keeping it respectable.

So, yes. It CAN be done. And it IS in the hands of the coach. If a coach doesn't have enough control over a team to tell them not to shoot in transition, not to press, not to steal passes in the passing lanes, then he or she has a serious problem in their program. High school basketball is not all about wins and losses, or getting to the century mark. It's about teaching young ladies and men life-long lessons and instilling in them good values, character, and respect for each other, opponents, and the game of basketball itself.

• Upvote 1

I don't remember everyone making such a big deal out of the score last year when Riverdale beat Lavergne 103 to 10. So why now?

Were they reprimanded? Did they issue a public apology? No? How dare they!

(This is 100% sarcasm by the way)

Edited by AlumnI01

Scores from girls games this year #1Mater CA 96 15 #8 Poly 96 18 94 21 #19 St Marys 93 18 98 8 # 24Martin Luther 76 6 So these teams are suppose to play 25% just so the other team looks good come on man.Take less trips to the beach and to the mall and get into the gym Theres NOT one day goes by that you walk into Legion gym and theres not a S Hill player boy or girl not shooting 3s or free throws in the summer on there on no coaches around thats what in takes.As a coach its my job to have my players ready and DC come into that game beat before they started they gave 50% thats not the other teams fault Last night they scored 47 against a good south team maybe that was a wake up call NO team should stop playing 100 % anytime or stop playing there type of ball.And remember next time the #12 th player gets into the game and scores dont clap for her she wasnt suppose to shoot

Edited by jeffs

Having been on the wrong end of a few of these, (not this bad, but clearly being overmatched and giving up 100+), I have to agree with the people not being upset about this. While at first, it made me feel bad to be "disrespected," it made me even hungrier to not let it happen again. In the end, it made me a better player, and the team a better team. You can say all you want about it being classless, but in the end, it is still the other teams job to stop the other team from scoring. Yes, you don't press after getting up by a comfortable lead, and yes, you should play the bench after getting up big, but how can you sit and say that you are to tell the 10th, 11th, and 12th player to not shoot the ball. Being Science Hill and being better than most of the teams they play, these players get more playing time than most benches could ever hope for, but you still can't tell them not to try their hardest. What incentive would these said players have to work hard during practice and the off season if, they are going to be held back in the game. If said player is a guard for example, the chance that they will shoot a three is higher, and in most "normal" games, said player would be yelled at for not taking the shot. You can't have it both ways. To be a good player and team you have to play your hardest in every second. The people who are up in arms should think of it in reverse. If your son or daughter puts in the same amount of work as the starters, but still isn't good enough to be a starter, would you want the coach to just put them in and not let them play?

This is just plain ignorant. I am on the staff of a AA team who played a A team with an enrollment of less than 40 students earlier this year. It was clear from the time the two teams left the locker room which team was more talented. The A team had only five girls dressed out for the contest. Not one of them even sported basketball shoes. The score could have EASILY been 125-0. No doubt about it. The starters started the game, pressed the first 8 possessions, and then exited the game. The rest of the game, a zone defense was played and players were told not to run in transition, instead work on the execution of half-court offenses, looking to score off of each option available in the offense, not scoring on the same option on back to back possessions. Starters played the first minute of each quarter and then the bench was cleared. The score was kept as respectable as possible at 45-9. This is a case where, like I said, the score could have easily been 125-0, but the coach kept it respectable. The student-athletes on the winning team learned to play with character and respect the game and their opponents. The coach on the losing team, and his players, thanked both the players and coaches time and time again after the game for keeping it respectable.

So, yes. It CAN be done. And it IS in the hands of the coach. If a coach doesn't have enough control over a team to tell them not to shoot in transition, not to press, not to steal passes in the passing lanes, then he or she has a serious problem in their program. High school basketball is not all about wins and losses, or getting to the century mark. It's about teaching young ladies and men life-long lessons and instilling in them good values, character, and respect for each other, opponents, and the game of basketball itself.

Great post!

See, the thing of it is, Science Hill is not GP, and Crockett is certainly NOT Clinch. Crockett is a AAA school. They have over 1200 students. Its a district game, and its like a week before district tournaments. Now is not the time to be giving your team the night off. Crockett didn't show up Friday night, plane and simple. Heck, they put up almost 50 the very next night against another AAA team. Its not SH's fault that the Lady Pioneers didn't play with any PRIDE.

See, the thing of it is, Science Hill is not GP, and Crockett is certainly NOT Clinch. Crockett is a AAA school. They have over 1200 students. Its a district game, and its like a week before district tournaments. Now is not the time to be giving your team the night off. Crockett didn't show up Friday night, plane and simple. Heck, they put up almost 50 the very next night against another AAA team. Its not SH's fault that the Lady Pioneers didn't play with any PRIDE.

Excellent point. Another great post.

I did not know that Jackson Co. Was the holyer than all other programs. I need to move their so I can get righteous. I have seen you play before and lets just that you are no better than the next. The only reason you can't get 100 is that you 4 good kids and the rest ave. SH has 9 to 10 kids that can get the job done against most teams in the state that's why they can get 100. 100 is just a number. Would you be so mad if they won 50 to 0? Then you would be saying we Jackson Co would have left them score two points. High school basketball is not the Upward League, which is good for elementary children.

Not holier than thou...definatly classier than you.Coach Brown always has state calibre teams,and yet teaches the kids to play with respect for the game...what a concept!

Not holier than thou...definatly classier than you.Coach Brown always has state calibre teams,and yet teaches the kids to play with respect for the game...what a concept!

People keep talking about "keeping repect for the game." Well isn't that a two way street? If you want to go there, didn't Crockett "disrespect the game" by not showing up Friday night and not playing to the best of their abilities?

SH played a good game. I for one was at the game and it was clear SH was not trying to run the score up. They pressed the first half and played there starters for only 3 or so min in the 3rd and no min in the 4th. SH Is getting there players ready for a state championship run and I for one respect what coach barnwell did. Crockett didn't play good at all and SH put all their effort into the game. Anyone who says coach barnwell needs to appologize is actually disrespecting coach barnwell.

SH played a good game. I for one was at the game and it was clear SH was not trying to run the score up. They pressed the first half and played there starters for only 3 or so min in the 3rd and no min in the 4th. SH Is getting there players ready for a state championship run and I for one respect what coach barnwell did. Crockett didn't play good at all and SH put all their effort into the game. Anyone who says coach barnwell needs to appologize is actually disrespecting coach barnwell.

Think about what you are saying here. Your team is up 70 points and you STILL have your starters in the game! If that isn't running up the score I don't know what is.

Think about what you are saying here. Your team is up 70 points and you STILL have your starters in the game! If that isn't running up the score I don't know what is.

I guess "I was at the game and it was clear SH was not trying to run up the score" isn't good enough for you. I'm sorry but were you at the game, devilfanatic?