Covington Forfeits

CoachD33

Yall are now reading entirely too much into this. Brighton's zone in Tipton Co is by far the largest. Brighton gets kids from basically all over tipton co that are zoned to go there. There are a few kids that live as far as charleston and stanton that are zoned to go to brighton. As far as getting kids from other schools, anybody who would want to start a rumor could walk up and say that they think this person or that person is supposed to be going to another school. As long as you change your address into a zone that Covington, Brighton, or Munford has, then you can play. With the amount of kids in Covington, Brighton,and Munford who live with grandparents, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, etc... you really never know who is living with who and where they are living. The rumors are easy to start, and even if they are entirely off base, people will take them and run.

There's your problem!

"As long as you change your address into a zone that Covington, Brighton, or Munford has, then you can play. With the amount of kids in Covington, Brighton,and Munford who live with grandparents, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, etc... you really never know who is living with who and where they are living."

That must be the Tipton Co Rule because it isn't TSSAA rule.

According to TSSAA:

Bona Fide Change of Residence

– A move from one community to another that justifies a change of schools. Where a familycontinues to maintain a previous residence for the residential purposes of that family or any of its members, the move is not one that justifies a change of schools for purposes of the TSSAA Bylaws.

So, just saying you live with a granny, aunt, uncle, etc does not fly with the TSSAA. If this is how Tipton Co has been operating then I think there will be more violations to come.

Edited by PrestigeWorldwide

2012-13 TSSAA Handbook

Page 14 July 18, 2012

Section 12. Eligible Transfer Students.

the following transfer students are eligible:

a. The student has no athletic record in the previous twelve months in any sport sponsored by TSSAA;

b. There has been a bona fide change of residence by the student's parents or guardian. If such a

change of residence occurs between school years, the student must transfer at the beginning of the

school year to be eligible. If the change of residence occurs during the school year, the student may

transfer without loss of eligibility (1) at the time his/her parents change residence; (2) at the end of the

next report card period; (3) at the close of the semester or term; or (4) at the close of the school year;

c. The student changes schools as a direct result of re-zoning or reassignment of students by the local

school system;

d. The student is moving from a boarding school where they are a boarder to the school serving the

territory where his/her parents live, or vice versa, provided the student has attended the school

he/she is leaving for a minimum of twelve months and provided the principal at the school he/she is

leaving indicates in writing that the move is not for athletic or disciplinary reasons. The move must be

at the beginning of the school year. (Note: The school must be outside the day school territory of the

boarding school.);

e. The student is transferring to a senior high school in the same system into the earliest grade offered

at that senior high school, i.e. at the student's first opportunity to move to that school;

f. The student who has been determined by a Court to be dependent and neglected and consequently

changes residences and schools as a result of a Court order;

g. The first time the student changes residence from one parent to the other as a result of a court

ordered custody change, so long as the principal of the former school attests in writing that the move

was not for athletic or disciplinary reasons; or

h. The first time the student changes residence from a guardian to either or both parents as a result of a

court ordered custody change, so long as the principal of the former school attests in writing that the

move was not for athletic or disciplinary reasons;

i. The student is attending school where the student's parent works as a full-time employee, that parent

takes a full-time job at a different school, and the student transfers to the school where the parent

takes the new job. The transfer must take place when the parent takes the job or, if the job change

occurs during the school year, the transfer must be made at the beginning of the following school

year;

A bona fide change in residence does actually make a player eligible....

It's only bona fide if the aunt, uncle, grandparents, brothers or sisters have legal, court appointed custody. If the student lives with anyone and does not have legal guardianship, then it is fraud and illegal.

? is will there be any heads rolled as a result of this debacle. What an embarrassement and loss of credibllity to Covington High School, it's sports programs and Tipton County Schools, the team, kids and families that follow the rules. Usually when things of this nature happen the coach & athletic director are forced to resign. Typically the responsibility is the athletic directors. Was told the athletic director at Covington doesn't even teach a class, has plenty of time to ensure complience.Has a position just for AD. Was told he's assistant in administration being allowed to get certified on the job in that as well. What is going on at Covington. May be inacurate. There has been several schools that coaches/AD's were forced to resign for playing ineligible players. I think just recently at Cordova and another West Tn school within the last semester. Also one coach and an AD lost their job for merely practicing with a couple ineligible players. I agree it really punishes an insurmountable # of people that have nothing to do with it(the district,the ones following the rules,teams & kids and mostly the #2 seed Westview). If not severe consequences why not do it.It also affects the schools thayt players should be playing for and the kids(players) spots they take. It cuts into the morale and spirit of complience for the whole district and state. Unfair for those who follow the rules. It just affects too many others(poeple). Gotta be some consequences, like you say Covington got to experience those wins and as you say will still win the district tournament. Why not do it??

Edited by StBentley

I agree with you St. Bently. It is very embarassing and for the whole county. Now with more things coming out about this such as having an AD that teaches no classes, and also have ineligable players on the golf team, what exactly does the AD do?? Id say either didn't do any checking on eligibility or knew and went on knowing they were ineligbile. The foster kid and starks both go to munford now. they are both seniors who are now playing for them. Both played for brighton last season. I just wonder if anyone in the county is looking into this not just the TSSAA. How did this happen,Someone had to know right? nothing is being said about it besides rumors in the county. Is anyone in the county going to make a statement on it? Is there any leadership in the county or is it a free for all??

Covington ran through the district pretty easy. Even without these 2 guys they would still win the tourney. The guys in question do not play a whole lot. Covington has a roster full of talent and the fact that they are the 10th seed will only cause trouble for westview/Crockett. That's about it

Moral of the story....cheaters NEVER win! Covington got what they deserved tonight!! Where you at now fsunoles1623? I have got to hear what you have to say now! :rolleyes:

Yes all this cost Covington a shot at the Regional's...And the losers are the kids that have actually been in this school for the past 4 years and have worked hard to get here and have their work all blown up in their face.... Our coach knows who our kids live with and where they live so dont give me that crap "I never knew they were lying they had the right documentation."