STATE CHAMPIONSHIP FAVORITES AAA/AA/A

addicted2coachT

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a tough question. I think they do but none of them have ever been put into that situation. Your question also justifies why the injury to one of their staters could hurt them down the road.

Young stepped up last year in the state and in my opinion should have been put on the state tourney team. She will be looked upon to score much more if Masingal is stopped.

Not to be argumentative, but I don't see Grainger as being a "dominant" team. I've seen them in three games, and I'll credit them on being a good team, but dominant??? Looking at their schedule, their District isn't all that strong, so maybe SportsWatcher931's post above about them going 31-2 last season, but losing in substate, is indicative of the teams they played last year and have played this year?

I'm not stating that Grainger won't go to state, but the competition there in Murfreesboro won't be anything like what Grainger has played against this season. Regardless, I'm wishing them well and will gladly say I was wrong if they dominate state.

Grainger is a solid team but will not win state. Definitely not dominate that's for sure. LA and Cannon are both better teams imo as is Central who has already beaten this team.

Edited by devilfanatic

I clearly stated that both Macon and Central could give the Grizz problems. Anyone is welcome to go back and look.Livingston would come closer to beating them than Cannon though, i think due to Sells. I'm a big 8-AA fan and always support them whenever they make it somewhere like state, etc.

People act like its blasphemy to say a team that isn't from the UC may actually be good. But the numbers don't lie. The UC/8-AA always seems to get a team to state, but outside of single A, championships are rare ATM.

IMO, again, IMO the teams Grainger saw in Sparta were, for the most part, very good. In fact, all three are still seeing post season play. Yes, they had some close games, but they found ways to win. I know that many dont take similar scores into account, but Grainger beat McMinn county by 14. McMinn County beat Central once and only lost by 6 the second time.

If its any consolation, LA will definitely be a favorite next year, looking at the talent they bring back. Sorry my opinion has been so....controversial. ;)

I clearly stated that both Macon and Central could give the Grizz problems. Anyone is welcome to go back and look.Livingston would come closer to beating them than Cannon though, i think due to Sells. I'm a big 8-AA fan and always support them whenever they make it somewhere like state, etc.

People act like its blasphemy to say a team that isn't from the UC may actually be good. But the numbers don't lie. The UC/8-AA always seems to get a team to state, but outside of single A, championships are rare ATM.

IMO, again, IMO the teams Grainger saw in Sparta were, for the most part, very good. In fact, all three are still seeing post season play. Yes, they had some close games, but they found ways to win. I know that many dont take similar scores into account, but Grainger beat McMinn county by 14. McMinn County beat Central once and only lost by 6 the second time.

If its any consolation, LA will definitely be a favorite next year, looking at the talent they bring back. Sorry my opinion has been so....controversial. ;)

Wasn't disputing the fact they are good and I agree they can win it all but I don't think they are an overwhelming favorite. I've said all along.McMinn Central was my pick to win it all this year. I'm like you about 8AA. Some very good teams but none are great this year but I do believe LA and Cannon could win it.

Edited by devilfanatic

Does Central have the supporting cast that can step up and take over if teams stop Masengil?

They do. Morgan has been grooming the team often this season to work without her. I believe they can hold their own. Without Masengil completely? No. If she needs to sit awhile because of foul trouble? Yes. The bench is very deep. Plenty of players with state and tournament experience. Going to state every year for the better part of the past decade always helps with that experience.

ok this is to reply to McMinn Central playing Grainger in the tourneys listed above.... There are 2 schools in McMinn County one of which is Called McMinn County High School located in Athens they are the ones that have played against Grainger. The other school is McMinn Central located in Englewood they are 2 different schools McMinn Central played summer ball in Alcoa and at TWC in Athens this past summer the Thanksgiving tourney was played in Loudon. and the Christmas tourney they played in was at Lenior City. So Central has not played Grainger in any tourney so hope this clears up the confusion on here.

We played LA at William Blount High School in Maryville on a playday and beat them by 15 or 18 points this is the only team that we have played from over in that area....Sorry there is so much confusion out there about McMinn Central. but we are not McMinn County High School.

Edited by chsforever

Y

They do. Morgan has been grooming the team often this season to work without her. I believe they can hold their own. Without Masengil completely? No. If she needs to sit awhile because of foul trouble? Yes. The bench is very deep. Plenty of players with state and tournament experience. Going to state every year for the better part of the past decade always helps with that experience.

I don't agree with Central being groomed to play without Masengil. They are too dependent on her. They have got to get more scoring from the others around her. When the competition heats up Central might not be able to depend on 25 points a game from Masingal. This could spell trouble because they aren't used to it. Young comes to mind. She stepped up in the state game last year and is capable of taking that role. As for a deep bench, I believe it is about nine deep. Out of the four coming off the bench, two have state experience. Far from deep in my opinion.