AA State Tourney

dctiger

I have a question about Macon; how much of their team is the group that were state runners up in 2011? I haven't gotten to watch them since then, actually...

they lost all their big girls from that team, but they still have some of their guards. They are good. They came to JC second game of the year. We got out to a huge 20 point lead, but that was short lived. They came storming back and we squeezed out a 2 point win, by far our closest win at home this year.

they lost all their big girls from that team, but they still have some of their guards. They are good. They came to JC second game of the year. We got out to a huge 20 point lead, but that was short lived. They came storming back and we squeezed out a 2 point win, by far our closest win at home this year.

The posts were who I remembered most, and the Gregory girl that played point...

LA played them at their house early in the season. Had them down by 25. Finally won by 10 or more.

What does Westview have?

Westview is very athletic and pretty tall across the board. They have beat Obion, the State Runner-Up last year who only lost one starter, a good one in Macy Wright, 3 of 4 times this year and put them out in the Region-Semis. I think that every team is tough and dangerous in AA. Elizabethton is playing well right now and I expect a war. I have not seen Elizabethton play, but they whipped up on Grainger, an undefeated team the other night. That is enough said that that they will be tough.

I think you made a pretty good pick with Macon, but they have a really tough first game it looks like. Have you seen Covington play a lot GC? What do they bring to the table?

I have seen Covington multiple times this year. They have three huge post players, one going to UTM next year. They also have very quick athletic guards. They have struggled shooting the three in the games I've seen them play, but people tell me that Covington can really shoot it so I don't know there. I just think the fact that Macon has been here before and Covington hasn't will be the biggest factor here. I've been told be a very reliable source that Macon is the real deal this year. Hopefully Covingon proves me wrong but we will see... This tournament is wide open.

GC!! Rumor has it you said that Bolivar had the best girls team in that Region 7AA :mellow: Any truth to that?? Covington is probably the most athletic team coming out of West TN along with Dyersburg who they defeated in the Region Semifinals. A level head guard, good wing player that can hit 3's and 2 good post player- one of which is going to UTM we think. Another bruising/type player comes off the bench and , YES, covington gets after you on defense, plays fairly physical which will come in to play in da BORO as the refs tend to let them play. If they are not overwhelmed by the big state in the Murphy Center they should be okay-- Tough draw with Macon co. though who I thought would've been up there last year.

Since Cannon mostly shoots 3's the big girl won't affect Cannon's inside game that much, lol. If I were Cannon I would go after their guards hard with the press when CAK has the ball in an attempt to keep CAK from playing a half court game where the big girl could do some damage.

Guards are actually their strengths. Anna Hammaker is one of the top guards in the state as a sophomore. Hooper the 6'6" post mainly scores off rebounds. They don't really utilize her as a primary scoring threat. Lost their best shooter to a knee injusry earlier but have had several others step up. I think 4 if not 5 of the starters have had 20+ point games this year.Very balanced team that can beat you in several ways and it's not bad to have a post that can dominate a game defensively. They are young but Hammaker and Hooper both won a state title last year in WV as key freshman before transferring back to CAK.