National Tourney in Memphis

wrestlingelite

I couldn't agree more... Memphis would be a great location for a national tournament. Cknett, don't let the top 100 be the barometer. The other side of the state has always been hesitant about coming our way. I understand its a gamble but I think times "they are a changing". Mayhem has brought it an array of competitors from the areas we want at an event like this. Spoke with a gentleman in Kansas City last weekend, from the East Coast who has partnered with a mid-West guy to form a tournament coalition. With their help and some reciprocation at their events, I think we get a nice tournament in our backyard. They would love to come to the mid-South. Nonetheless, I think you are spot on about having several programs willing to work together to make this a reality.

This was a suggestion I had in another post. See what you think.

I just wanted to see what everyone thought about possibly changing the format of the Tour of TN Top 100. It seems that we are starting to get more out of state guys in these tournaments which means TN competition levels are becoming more widely recognized and this is great. That being said if we changed the format of the series to NOT include the State and Region tournaments in the scoring, I think you would see more teams coming from out of state to compete for the belt.

In this format keep the scoring the same, have 4 tournaments and 1 Tour of TN Grand Championship where the belt winners are crowned. If you did this I think the competition would skyrocket and the event would become huge throughout the Southeast. Thoughts???

I just wanted to see what everyone thought about possibly changing the format of the Tour of TN Top 100. It seems that we are starting to get more out of state guys in these tournaments which means TN competition levels are becoming more widely recognized and this is great. That being said if we changed the format of the series to NOT include the State and Region tournaments in the scoring, I think you would see more teams coming from out of state to compete for the belt.

In this format keep the scoring the same, have 4 tournaments and 1 Tour of TN Grand Championship where the belt winners are crowned. If you did this I think the competition would skyrocket and the event would become huge throughout the Southeast. Thoughts???

I agree. You have to give the kids from other states a chance to win it, or they aren't going to travel that many weekends.

A bit unrealistic to think that Memphis would be a good site for a national tourney. Air travel into Memphis is super expensive. There is not a high level of youth wrestling or coaches in the memphis area. The Christian Brothers HS youth team is easily best option for youth wrestling in memphis, but there isn't the infrastructure to do a national tourney the right way in Memphis at the present time.

2nout, we have had kids from Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, New York, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Oklahoma, Texas and Arkansas in for Mayhem. Had a kid from Ohio who was going to travel in a few years back... If you build it they will come. I agree that flying in and out of Memphis doesn't offer the best fares but the ones who want national level competition are usually willing to make certain sacrifices.

I don't mean to sound argumentative but as far as infrastructure I am not quite sure what your knowledge is of those who are behind the tournaments in our area but I think some of what TN AAU is doing progressing their tournament has come from our area. We have quite the capable individuals and support to make it happen. Additionally, we have the right outside support that will help fill in the blanks.

Interesting! I will bring it up at the Spring meeting! I like it the idea.