National Tourney in Memphis

wrestlingelite

Not a fan at all... The Tennessee Top 100 was designed for TN AAU competitors to stake their claim on Tennessee. Missouri does something similar called the Missouri AAU Triple Crown. We have wrestlers who routinely compete in two of the three legs and never feel as if they should be entitled to obtaining their accolade by competing in their state tournament. Nonetheless, it doesn't discourage our wrestlers from competing in the other two. I don't think that a belt is what the type of wrestler you are really wanting to see are motivated by. The idea of the Top 100 was to encourage kids in the state to get out to other parts of the state to compete. I see nothing wrong with continuing that vision...

Biggest problem I have with the Top 100 currently is that it has hurt the attendance at our local events. Not only are they poorly attended, but there are less of them. Nobody wants to contend with the Top 100. We need a larger pool of wrestlers to sustain two tournaments in one weekend that take wrestlers out of the "local" pool.

• Upvote 1

Biggest problem I have with the Top 100 currently is that it has hurt the attendance at our local events. Not only are they poorly attended, but there are less of them. Nobody wants to contend with the Top 100. We need a larger pool of wrestlers to sustain two tournaments in one weekend that take wrestlers out of the "local" pool.

Ok josh I'm not following your logic here, in this same thread you said u wanted to not tie in the belt to the state tourney to make the top 100 tournament bigger and stronger and now you are saying that you hate the top 100 because it kills the local tournaments.... You can't have it both ways.... I don't see how encouraging more out of state wrestlers into our top 100 tournaments helps wrestling in Tn... There are plenty of national tourneys out there and us having one in memphis isn't going to help build wrestling in that area or the state...much like having the Spring nationals in tri- cities hasn't helped that area develop its local level of competition.

I do disagree with you josh on the top 100 tourneys. I think we tie them into the state even more and lock our best kids into wrestling in state more often and we do everything we can to build up those tourneys.

Edited by durdon

Ok josh I'm not following your logic here, in this same thread you said u wanted to not tie in the belt to the state tourney to make the top 100 tournament bigger and stronger and now you are saying that you hate the top 100 because it kills the local tournaments.... You can't have it both ways.... I don't see how encouraging more out of state wrestlers into our top 100 tournaments helps wrestling in Tn... There are plenty of national tourneys out there and us having one in memphis isn't going to help build wrestling in that area or the state...much like having the Spring nationals in tri- cities hasn't helped that area develop its local level of competition.

I do disagree with you josh on the top 100 tourneys. I think we tie them into the state even more and lock our best kids into wrestling in state more often and we do everything we can to build up those tourneys.

I just think we need to do a better job of scheduling them so there are not so many jammed into one month. I was not a fan of the series originally, but this year it has been great. In fact the best tournaments we wrestled in state this year! I think scheduling needs to be looked at this off-season and try to have them more spread out. If you do that attendance should go up at your local tournaments.

I think we need to lengthen the USAW season and get an earlier start on the AAU one too... Saturday one organization, Sunday the other! More tournaments, more wrestling, more mat time...

Why do we need two organizations wrestling folkstyle at the same time? We could do Saturdays and Sundays under one organization for more mat time. Edited by deadlift

I just think we need to do a better job of scheduling them so there are not so many jammed into one month. I was not a fan of the series originally, but this year it has been great. In fact the best tournaments we wrestled in state this year! I think scheduling needs to be looked at this off-season and try to have them more spread out. If you do that attendance should go up at your local tournaments.

Josh I totally agree.....and actually I think we need to goto 5 tourneys next year and one for each region.... It really stunk that Nashville didnt have one this year....cause it would have been huge...I think we need on in dec, 2 in jan and 2 in feb - that leaves plenty of weekends for local tourneys....(either that or merge region 1 and 2 into 1 region but that's a topic for another thread)

I think we need to lengthen the USAW season and get an earlier start on the AAU one too... Saturday one organization, Sunday the other! More tournaments, more wrestling, more mat time...

Honestly I actually like USA better than AAU as an organization but in our state AAU is the dominate youth wrestling organization and it is incredibly well run and getting stronger every year.... I think we all need to get behind AAU and help make it stronger in this state.... In South Carolina they are trying to merge 3 different state organizations into 1 with USA, AAU and Nuway all 3 having strong groups in different parts of the state.... And it's a total mess.. We don't want that here...

I would like to see AAU start having beginners tourneys on Sundays much like USA does down in GA....