Mitchell VS CPA Who wins and why?

nebuntyn

Would be interested in learning more about Mitchell - particularly the Mitchell guards. That will be the key to the game, not Lindsey and Blackwell in my opinion. Can they handle the CPA press? Can they keep Bonds under control and from penetrating? If the answers to these questions are yes, they have a decent shot at winning the game. Spring Hill couldn't handle the CPA press in the first quarter and it cost them the game. Otherwise they shut CPA down pretty effectively.

snapback.pngbjl1929, on 09 March 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

CPA has the strongest assembled starting 5 in the state- 2 high-major, 2 mid-major and 1 high major (football)- 4 juniors and 1 freshman. The only thing that is going to stop them this year or next is the TSSAA (unlikely) or a college snapping up Coach Maddux (more likely). I hope Mitchell gives them a good game but I am afraid I have reluctantly drunk the kool-aid and I am not sure Mitchell can beat them.

And the crazy thing is the best prospect is the freshman.

Not sure how the TSSAA can stop them, since there aren't really rules against middle school recruiting. Maybe the CPA administration will wake up and see that this team doesn't fit the athletic philosophy of the school, it is truly an assembled team, an AAU team playing in their school uniforms--certainly not a true school team. As far as the best prospect being a freshman, that's a bit deceiving since he's 16.

Is Lindsey the freshman kid? Is he rated higher than Lawson from Hamilton?

Blackwell is the Freshman. I have seen them both rated higher than the other so it depends on what ranking you want to trust. I watched a couple of CPA games online and I'll tell you Blackwell is a special talent. Probably the best ball handler on the team. CPA's guards are their weak point. Not saying they are a weakness but it is the place they are most vulnerable. If a team has big athletic guards that can harass CPA's guards all night, they can disrupt the Lions offensive flow. During the Ensworth game Blackwell was moved to PG and while he was better bringing the ball up the floor and setting up the offense IMHO the offense didn't run as smooth as it did with him in the high post playing off Lindsey. A team wanting to beat CPA is gonna need forwards who can match up with CPA's size and really good guard play, offensive and defensive.

Blackwell is the Freshman. I have seen them both rated higher than the other so it depends on what ranking you want to trust. I watched a couple of CPA games online and I'll tell you Blackwell is a special talent. Probably the best ball handler on the team. CPA's guards are their weak point. Not saying they are a weakness but it is the place they are most vulnerable. If a team has big athletic guards that can harass CPA's guards all night, they can disrupt the Lions offensive flow. During the Ensworth game Blackwell was moved to PG and while he was better bringing the ball up the floor and setting up the offense IMHO the offense didn't run as smooth as it did with him in the high post playing off Lindsey. A team wanting to beat CPA is gonna need forwards who can match up with CPA's size and really good guard play, offensive and defensive.

I agree....I was telling a friend the same thing earlier.

i have seen cpa play a couple games in person (district tournament game and regional finals) and in both the freshman blackwell impressed me more than lindsey, especially in the regional final game, lindsey was missing some easy shots and did not play half of the game, while the freshman kept making plays the whole time.

I agree....I was telling a friend the same thing earlier.

And when you really look at it, guard play is usually the deciding factor at state. Bolivar has had Kemp, Murphy, Tisdale and Woods. Liberty had Long, Anthony and Sampson. Fulton had Steele, Gallman and Boyd. White Station had Jackson and Hollins. Craigmont had Sam Craft. Last year CPA had Bradshaw and Wharton along with Bonds. Backcourt play tends to carry the day once you get to Murfreesboro. I think South Side has the best backcourt coming into the tournament in Barford, McNeal and Fuller. Granted I haven't seen Mitchell but I hear good things about them too. CPA is gonna need a big effort from Bonds and Richard this week if they hope to repeat.

one thing from last year i remember when they played each other was that after the first quarter mitchell only turned the ball over like once a quarter. if they had not turned the ball over as much as they did in the first they would have had a serious shot at beating cpa last year.

now saying that bradshaw was huge when they play last year and is not here now. Now I have not seen Mitchell, but if they are anything like last year, then if they don't turn the ball over much then they can win this game, but CPA's defense is still strong like last year so it will be tough.