And Giles New Coach Is.........

several of the richer alabama countys such as madison, and then several of the counties in tennessee, namely williamson, davidson, somewhat rutherford, have pay systems that will pay coaches with years of experience close to 80,000 a year, assistants sometimes high 60's, low 70's..... i guy with 20 years plus with a masters would like someone else said make around 53,00...there is some summer work there but will still struggle mightly to make it even close to 60,000...no matter what is said if a person can make 15-20,000 per year they have to atleast think of what that can do for their family in the present and their future in retirement...many times when a coach is successful and leaves he is hated by the communnity and many times he has to take care of his family...no matter how much you like a place or that we all like our job...truth is most people if offered 15 - 20k a year raise would go in a minutes unless it was a long way away, if you say no you are very well usually or just so ingrained where you live that no one can make you leave home

Williamson County does not pay head coaches much money compared to other school systems. A head football coach in Williamson County earns $6,000. In Davidson it is a percentage of gross teacher pay (10%). Assistant coaches earn less. None of the TN counties you selected pay $70,000 per year! I have no doubt some booster clubs kick in extra money in some places but all of that would be on the books if they follow the TSSAA regulations. It is true that some Alabama schools pay $10,000 or more per year than TN schools.

Edited by bigredbird

I don't mean to disagree but if you go to willlaimson county schools and look at the salary schedule for a teacher lets say with more than 20 years and a masters degree plus the head coaching supplement you will find it either just under 70,000 or just over...true the head coaching supplement is not as big as some others but the money is made in the teaching salary and that is not including any type of supplement for weights or other sports

finally, in metro you are closer to being correct, metro salary with masters 58, 290 per year and i believe the coaching supplement is close to 12 which works out to just under 7,000,.00 per years, coaches can earn up to a total of either 20 or 22 % of their yearly salary if they coach other sports, makes for a long year but is done many times.....just saying that those two communities can deliver a little more money for sometimes less work...i did not mean to lie about the salary....one pays because of their increased affluence and the other pays a litte more because the teaching situation is a little harsher and also it is in an urban setting

I was not looking at 21 years, I thought they capped at 15 years? When I was there, few coaches had that many years and the coaching supplemental (incremental increase) wasn't much. The base pay for a head coach is still $6000. How many head football coaches in Williamson County have over 20 years experience?

Williamson County does not pay head coaches much money compared to other school systems. A head football coach in Williamson County earns $6,000. In Davidson it is a percentage of gross teacher pay (10%). Assistant coaches earn less. None of the TN counties you selected pay $70,000 per year! I have no doubt some booster clubs kick in extra money in some places but all of that would be on the books if they follow the TSSAA regulations. It is true that some Alabama schools pay $10,000 or more per year than TN schools.

This is simply false. Any system that pays supplements based on salary percentage pays more to coaches than base supplement systems. It doesn't take but just a few years of teaching to get to what many systems pay.

Head football coach in Metro gets 12% of his base salary as a supplement. He gets a number of assistant coaches which is based on the number of players on the team. More players=more assistants. High school assistants and head freshman coach earn 9%. Assistant freshman coach (only get one) gets 6%. There ya go.

So Leroy, you are saying a assistant in Madison County pulls down $70+ a year? That would put the head man over $80? Now I know you're glad they are gone as am I, so yea if he told you that then he is a lier based on the reasons he gave me for leaving.

If it was $$$$ that tipped the scales then adios amigos. It matters not because this thread is about the new crew. A coach is in into public high school football to get rich? Not happening.... :thumb:

Some like money more than others. But, money is not the reason our assistants did not take the head job at GCHS. One of them doesn't want to be a head coach. He decided to leave when the other one did not take the job. The other one did not think he was ready to be a head coach.

If you are not rich, money is an issue in everything we do. But morals and integrity are what a lot of people base there decisions on. Does not matter why our staff is gone. They are gone. Get over it. Move on. It is time for a new staff and a new leader. Bobcats will be on top again, and it may be this year. You have got to look at talent. There is a lot of talent on the team for next year. Whoever the new coach is, he will be happy to coach those young men.

• Upvote 1

Some like money more than others. But, money is not the reason our assistants did not take the head job at GCHS. One of them doesn't want to be a head coach. He decided to leave when the other one did not take the job. The other one did not think he was ready to be a head coach.

So when one of the assistants looked me in the eye and said that he would be taking a 10 to 15 thousand dollar pay cut to stay at Giles and that he didn't know if it would be worth it, he was lying? Yeah, ok.........