2013-2014 AAA Top Teams

Most of the past riverdale players had played together for years and in the summer which helped develop team chemistry so it may not be to their advantage as much as people may think these are different players with different skill sets, I know I am pretty excited about how competitive this season will be and Kentucky didn't always win the games people thought they would because what looks good on paper still has to be proven on the court. Good Luck to all the girls.

• Upvote 1

Riverdale will again play an extremely tough schedule.  They will start the season with a 58 game winning streak.  One of their tournaments will be The Iolani Classic in Hawaii.  http://www.iolaniclassic.hawaiihoops.com/

BTW....this is the type of girls these kids are.  Great group of young ladies.

http://instagram.com/p/fl0JUeSm3v/

Edited by Brandon100

And of course having the home court advantage in the  state tournament year after year is pretty good too.  Is the TSSAA doing a good job of policing this revolving door?  Will the parents of these transfering students regret having their daughters miss out on their senior year with friends they have grown up with?  Will some of these parents feel like they were slapped in the face when  their daughters are sitting on the bench?  Will some of the Riverdale players feel bad to see some of their long time teammates lose their playing time when they know their team could have still won the state tourney without the newcomers? With AAU ball allowing high school players to be seen by hundreds of college scouts, is it really such an asset to move all over the state or even from out of state to attend a particular school? 

• Upvote 1

Wow granddadone great questions, its definately alot to consider because after all these are the parents making the decisions so hopefully there's no resentment from the kids later on down the road because where they were more than likely star players at their old high schools when you join a team that is already stacked you may have to be willing to be a role player just like the girl last year and I believe she is playing at a juco instead of division 1 where she had options before transferring I'm not saying thats the reason she's playing at a juco but her stats and game play were much stronger at her old school, but it may have been worth it to end up with a state championship and national championship that is what they are all playing for.

One reality is the sense of fairness that takes a back seat to winning. In a lot of cases these young ladies play together in elementary and middle school, then play on Jr. varsity for a couple of years all the while working hard for themselves, their team, their coaches, their families and their schools. Then as their senior year approaches and their moment to shine on the court gets closer and closer they hear that a new girl is moving in from 100 miles away, then they get the word that a second and indeed a third are on their way. Eventually they may win a state tournament by 25 points but probably would have won by 15 points without the new additions. Fairness has become the step child of winning at some schools and ,to me, that is a shame. And , by the way, I have no child or grandchild who has been in this situation so I have no horse in this matter, just concern.

I dont havea dog in this fight but felt liek sharing this thought I understand the sentiment and concern but honestly if you look at last year's Riverdale team very few of the players on the team played together in Elementary and Middle School. If you look at the Starting 5 1 was from Chattanoog, 1 went to Christiana Middle, 1 went to Rockvale Middle, 1 went to MTCS in middle school and the 6th man(girl) went to Siegel Middle. Riverdale has 3 feeder middle schools. In reality most of Riverdale's players were playing against each other not with each other in middle school.

The three best teams in the state very well be in the same district. (Oakland, Blackman, and Riverdale) Whichever two get out of the district have a great chance to win state, but one of them will probably have to play Bradley Central in the substate, and Bradley may be the 4th best team in the state.

Does a championship begin to lose value when it's won by such a team (whether or not rules are broken, either way)? I think the reaction to this team's win would certainly be subdued. Some will say, "Oh they won again, how many transfers this year, was the state tourney played in their backyard again ? But I'm sure the folks in Murfreesboro will be pretty happy. Let me add that none of this should be viewed as anything critical towards the individual players. It is the parents, the school and the TSSAA that ultimately make the decisions.