Goodpasture New Era

cubs1

Slim, I could care less what Mote or the Goodpasture administration does. Just stating they were playing with a JV team for a good portion of the year, regardless of the reason, and you know that. Best of luck this year, but especially when you guys play the Cougars.

Edited by orangecrush

coach mote will do fine.  Now that goodpasture is away from Alcoa,you could probably add 2 or 3 more state championships if they had been,  As long as he is surrounded by good assistants he is going to have a superb group of players that will have not only size and strength but also speed.  You probably will not really know what you have until you get to the second or third level of the playoffs.  Many times a coaches record is reflected by talent or lack thereof.  Coach Martin was and is a good man.  He will be very hard to replace.  Lots of very solid coaches applied for the job but i would think the pond for candidates was narrowed to many church of christ coaches which is very few, take the few that have won and it gets even smaller.  I think Goodpasture is at a tipping point in many things of how they are going to proceed in many things, just not limited to athletics.  Barring a ton of injuries or a mass exodus the cougars should minimum win 7 or 8 games each year...good luck cougars, you lost a great one, replaced him with a medicore one, we all like comeback stories and i wish coach mote luck in the years ahead.  he will never walk into an opportunity like this again, make the most of the chance and prove that you have learned from your mistakes and gotten better at your craft, it is what hopefully we all learn as we get older and hopefully wiser

After watching practice and the scrimmage with Kenwood I would say that GP will be lucky to win 4 games this year. Their practice is un-organized and little is accomplished. The new defense Coach Mote as implemented will not work as he has designed. Kenwood beat them very badly in the scrimmage. No defense what so ever. There is no discipline on this team. Players arrive late to practice, they say and do as they want, and seem to be going through the motions. I understand the assistant coaches are frustrated and want things changed. It looks to be a long year unless Coach Mote makes some changes. It seems he is more worried about the service projects the team will do instead of organizing and preparing for the season. The school president will get what he wants and what he deserves.

After watching practice and the scrimmage with Kenwood I would say that GP will be lucky to win 4 games this year. Their practice is un-organized and little is accomplished. The new defense Coach Mote as implemented will not work as he has designed. Kenwood beat them very badly in the scrimmage. No defense what so ever. There is no discipline on this team. Players arrive late to practice, they say and do as they want, and seem to be going through the motions. I understand the assistant coaches are frustrated and want things changed. It looks to be a long year unless Coach Mote makes some changes. It seems he is more worried about the service projects the team will do instead of organizing and preparing for the season. The school president will get what he wants and what he deserves.

:roflolk:       :popcorneater:     :hungry:

It's time someone with some intelligence joined in and not look at this season's GP team through Martin colored glasses.  GP is pre-season pick in the top of the state.  That will be a story if they only win 4 games and go deep in the playoffs.  Can't comment on practices except the players are in the best physical and mental shape they've been in for years.  Kenwood did not beat them badly.  Neither team's defense could stop the other team's offense.  No defense what so ever sounds like the typical GP defense for the past several years.  The difference this season is that the players are actually trying to tackle the opponent instead of chasing them into the end zone.  Defenses needs some work but I'll say that Kenwood's QB will be one to the top QBs in the state.  Offense looks good.  What a difference it makes when you run toward the end zone and not toward the sidelines.  Last time I checked, you don't get points for running out of bounds.  Saw something different in the scrimmage vs last year.  GP advanced the ball down the field by having one player throw it to another.  WOW!  Must be a new rule or something.  It would be good if holdover assistant coaches would do more coaching and less complaining but then again, they never had to coach in the past.  One of the holdover coaches should have left with the prior staff.  Players, students, and parents would like to see him gone but he has family connections to the Board.  The best move Coach Mote could make is sending him to Stewarts Creek.  Sounds like you need to take your hand held stat device and go to Stewarts Creek too.

• Upvote 1

MyTake,

I am not a Martin follower and I do not have any part with any of the team's functions. I just being around several programs in my time see some real issues at GP. I believe you may have some rose-colored glasses issues when you look at the team. If you are a parent I understand because I to have been a parent and sometimes we just see the things we want to see. Size and talent are there, the problem is no matter how much talent you have you must have good coaching and organization to be successful. Whether you agreed with Coach Martin or not, you have to understand that during his term there the GP program was one of the top 5 programs in the state in any classification. When I mentioned the assistant coaches, I did not single out the coaches left from last year, I was including all the coaches. It would be interesting to know how many parents, students, and players want a coach out of GP. That may be the problem with the program now, to many people thinking they know what is best and wanting to run things. That can be a killer to a program instead of allowing the head coach to setup and run his program. Do you know which coach ran their off-season conditioning program? I can see from your comments that you are not a coach because just that you do not like the wing-t offense as compared to other is by no means a reason to criticize an offense and defense that has won 3 state titles and runner-up several other times.

It's time someone with some intelligence joined in and not look at this season's GP team through Martin colored glasses.  GP is pre-season pick in the top of the state.  That will be a story if they only win 4 games and go deep in the playoffs.  Can't comment on practices except the players are in the best physical and mental shape they've been in for years.  Kenwood did not beat them badly.  Neither team's defense could stop the other team's offense.  No defense what so ever sounds like the typical GP defense for the past several years.  The difference this season is that the players are actually trying to tackle the opponent instead of chasing them into the end zone.  Defenses needs some work but I'll say that Kenwood's QB will be one to the top QBs in the state.  Offense looks good.  What a difference it makes when you run toward the end zone and not toward the sidelines.  Last time I checked, you don't get points for running out of bounds.  Saw something different in the scrimmage vs last year.  GP advanced the ball down the field by having one player throw it to another.  WOW!  Must be a new rule or something.  It would be good if holdover assistant coaches would do more coaching and less complaining but then again, they never had to coach in the past.  One of the holdover coaches should have left with the prior staff.  Players, students, and parents would like to see him gone but he has family connections to the Board.  The best move Coach Mote could make is sending him to Stewarts Creek.  Sounds like you need to take your hand held stat device and go to Stewarts Creek too.

Goodpasture should send Ronnie Carter a ring if they win a title.  What an idiotic rule to put this school in Class A and 2A in football.  GP is a 3A school playing down in Class A and 2A/football, what a joke.  If they don't win the state all 4 years they are in 2A then i would fire the coach.  The number of athlete to student ration in this school grossly outnumbers the schools they will be competing against.  What kind of idiots do we have running T$$AA?!

Edited by devilfanatic

I don't see all of these future state championships that everyone else sees.  There are really good teams in all sports in A & 2A/Football in the state.  I believe GP will be in the running for state births this year but time will tell if they are state birth material in future years.

Mitchell enrollment is low. We did not place ourelves in 2A football or 1A basketball, TSSAA did. We should pick up some students next year with th closing of Westwood (which I hope they stay open, putting those rivals together will make my job crazy). We will see how our numbers will be.