Kyle Serrano vs Justus Sheffield

mjuhb

I agree it heckling shouldn't happen, but I have seen it at every level. Some high schools are worse than others. I personally know a pitcher in this area that was heckled something awful by two high schools in Knox County. I think it is terrible, especially at the high school level, but I don't know what could be done about it. Many high school athletes work very hard at their sport and make great sacrifices to represent their school and they should be treated with respect by the opposing team. Maybe AD's could attend the games and address it with the student body.

I completely agree if the heckling is done with malicious intent or if there are curse words being used. However, the kids in question yesterday (FHS's soccer team) did none of that. There's worse heckling in high school basketball by far, and there's nothing done about it.

Maybe AD's could attend the games and address it with the student body.

Amen to that! Times have changed, but our Asst Principal (no AD's then) would have sent us home for not representing the school the right way. Seems like today's AD's don't want the responsibility that should come with it.

All I'm saying is if you can't handle a few 17-18 year old saying "Hey Justin", and you handle it the way Sheffield did, then how do you expect to pitch in front of thousands yelling and screaming obscenities at you? Corbin isn't going to allow the type of stuff he did yesterday, so hopefully he learns to reign it in and show some class. Yes he's only a junior in high school, but he's also an elite prospect committed to a premier college program, I just think it's time to grow up a little.

I agree with all of that. I bet he will mature some over the next year and a half. Edited by strongx

Sheffield will for sure mature, Seranno has had a few rough outings this year but always keeps his cool, and Farragut most of the time plays great defense and gives plenty of run support. Those things help a pitcher untold! Farragut will win it all this year!

In the early years of baseball, the game was a gentleman's game. The stuff that goes on in the ballparks these days would not have been tolerated. heckling only occured if the fans thought a player did not give it his all. I think that how it should be today as well, especially at the high school and college levels. Also, umpires were treated with respect and they were not to be spoken to unless they spoke to you. there were no balls or strikes and a batted ball caught one the first bound was an out, probably because there were no gloves. Go check out http://tennesseevintagebaseball.com/ if you'reinterested in a more refined and respectful game. Only two teams in Tennessee currently, Nashville and Franklin, but more are joining next year. Even Knoxville will be joining the fun next year.

In the early years of baseball, the game was a gentleman's game.

You are kidding, I hope...

It was never a gentlemen's game... Your link points to a game that may have been played in a local park, but not at

the Polo Grounds or other big league parks of the time.....

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7714835/the-connection-fan-inmate-behavior

You don't get much earlier than Ty Cobb:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/sports/baseball/ty-cobbs-outburst-led-to-notorious-game-in-1912.html?_r=0

Tullahoma just needs to tip their cap and start preparing for how they will improve next year. Whining to the media and anyone else who will listen looks bad on the whole program, which is unfortunate because it was a hard flight game and the best team came out on top.

• Upvote 1

Very unimpressed by Sheffield's attitude today. Of course Farragut's students are going to heckle him, and they weren't saying anything derogitory or obscene. What does Sheffield do? Looked over at them and grabbed his genitals on multiple occasions, and also gave them the bird. That's much more bush league than anything the Farragut kids were doing. Just surprised by the lack of class shown by many of Tullahoma's fans, players, and coaches to be honest. Guess you guys do things differently in Mid TN.

Seriously, how many Tullahoma players or fans called Farragutt players by name or chanted anything directed to Farragutt players? If you were there you no the answer is 0. Baseball is a mental sport which requires a mindset, weather it is a rule violation or not using direct shouts at players in order to break one mindset is cheep. So I guess you are right, we do thing differently in middle Tennessee, we play the game on the field, not in the bleachers.

All I heard all year was how great Tullahoma was, they were the best, no other team close, the brothers were taking them to the promise land..... and it boiled down to an umpire..... HA

Hey you guys are good, the brothers are good, but maybe next year have some humility.

1 question did you attend the games in question?

I'm talking pre-Civil War era baseball, the real roots of the game. Ty Cobb wasn't born until the late 1880's. Once big money got involved, the chivalry was lost. The game was mostly amateur until 1869. It once was a gentleman's game, no doubt, but that had pretty much died by the time Ty Cobb came around. It was still there during his lifetime, as still is today, but probably not a lot of it on the professional level. Just because it wasn't played at a historic park, doesn't mean it wasn't part of the history of the game. The game of base ball, use to be two words, outdates Ty Cobb by nearly a century.