The State of Baseball

cocheese

I would think a big part of the decision making has to do with the fact that football practice can be hard, real hard. On the other hand, baseball practice is much less strenuous. Kids and their parents are opting for the EASIER choice.

And I still hold to the belief that the best baseball players are multi-sport participants.

There's no question about that catsbackr. You look at almost any bio of a player in a DI football program and they played multiple sports. I love fall baseball, because it's a great place to get better but it will be on Saturdays after football Thursdays for my middle schooler and if he's really sore, he'll sit out a game or two. I hate to see a kid specialize before he hits puberty and to make a decision based on where he is now in his development before growth spurts and weight training. I also noted Dr. James Andrews stresses at least 2-3 months of zero overhead throwing activities per year for a youth baseball/football player and preferably 4-6 months. I tell mine to put his bat and glove in the corner during the winter and not pick it up until spring baseball starts.

There's no question about that catsbackr. You look at almost any bio of a player in a DI football program and they played multiple sports. I love fall baseball, because it's a great place to get better but it will be on Saturdays after football Thursdays for my middle schooler and if he's really sore, he'll sit out a game or two. I hate to see a kid specialize before he hits puberty and to make a decision based on where he is now in his development before growth spurts and weight training. I also noted Dr. James Andrews stresses at least 2-3 months of zero overhead throwing activities per year for a youth baseball/football player and preferably 4-6 months. I tell mine to put his bat and glove in the corner during the winter and not pick it up until spring baseball starts.

That was a great article by Dr. Andrews...one that I think many, many parents of kids today need to read.

Wonder if a parent should apply this to other youth activities such as running, weightlifting, football, basketball, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, etc? Or is it just the violent overhead throwing motion for baseball? If you spend your 3-4 off months doing some easy long-tossing instead of pitching, would that be hard on your arm or have it in better shape for the season?

What I read out of the article was that specializing in one sport of any kind and the repetitive nature of doing the same things over and over and over is what's unhealthy. My take is that you put up your basketball or football or ice hockey gear after the season and take a significant break. Throwing overhead whether it be a baseball or football is an unnatural motion and is hard on the rotator cuff and that joint. When my oldest strained his UCL during summer ball before his junior year, the doc's orders were no throwing of any kind. Told the trainer no throws during football season of any kind. No soft toss, no throwing you car keys to your buddy, nothing. That's with an injury, but I think the logic is the same. If you go from throwing 90 mph fastballs every other day to throwing 50 yard bullets on the football field, the strain on your arm is the same.

How does football help you in baseball? Or vise versa?

They do indeed help each other. An athlete get the strength and conditioning from football (which is not good for all baseball players: PITCHERS) and also aggressiveness. In baseball terms it means stronger players and overall bulldog approach to the game "Big League Mentality" or "Player Make-up". Example: most QB are your starting SS or SP (stud pitcher). Not to mention Leadership that caries over from those specific positions. Edited by tailormade643

They do indeed help each other. An athlete get the strength and conditioning from football (which is not good for all baseball players: PITCHERS) and also aggressiveness. In baseball terms it means stronger players and overall bulldog approach to the game "Big League Mentality" or "Player Make-up". Example: most QB are your starting SS or SP (stud pitcher). Not to mention Leadership that caries over from those specific positions.

You may be right, but I don't see it so much in our district. I don't believe any of Farragut's stud baseballers play football. They seem to excel at the highest level with 3 D1 and 2 D2 kids this year with more coming. I have actually thought that's one reason they kick everyone's tail each year - the fact they focus on baseball. Our school's coaches say the same as you guys- "baseball players are better if they play football". I think baseball players are better if more time is devoted to baseball workouts both in and out of season. That's just my opinion. Edited by strongx

You may be right, but I don't see it so much in our district. I don't believe any of Farragut's stud baseballers play football. They seem to excel at the highest level with 3 D1 and 2 D2 kids this year with more coming. I have actually thought that's one reason they kick everyone's tail each year - the fact they focus on baseball. Our school's coaches say the same as you guys- "baseball players are better if they play football". I think baseball players are better if more time is devoted to baseball workouts both in and out of season. That's just my opinion.

Your District's problem is that Farragut gets the "cream of the crop" They do more recruiting than Coach Serrano himself. lol

Let me add though, the recruiting may be unintentionally intentional.

IMO - their program recruits itself - the facilities, parental support, coaching, how the coaches manage young players, off season organization, workout program, number of wins, number of state titles, and how they successful they are rewarding their players with college opportunities. They definitely have it going on. BUT...I believe they can be matched if some other programs were willing to put forth the effort to get there. The problem in ET is that baseball is generally considered a secondary sport and AD's don't want to commit to the effort to match what Farragut is doing. So that difference maker (or two) that is moving to town will continue to have one clear cut option for the best baseball program in the area. In other words, they don't have to recruit because most other schools don't try very hard. Cudos to them.