Future of Midway High School

AllRegion

Don't forget that little scare tactic of "we're gonna cut blah blah blah then little Johnny won't have blah blah blah" in an effort to have a budget increase to get through a "crisis". Remember also that in the state of Tennessee once a school system has an expansion to their budget it CAN NEVER be reduced. Ole JP may be 100% right or 100% wrong, I'm not sure but I do know if you watch everywhere from time to time a school will have to do this that or the other if their funding is not increased somehow. Sometimes the funding is increased and sometimes it's not. . . either way there's not very many schools closing or cutting major sports. JMO

Budgets are cut in school systems all the time in Tennessee. I have worked in Tennessee public schools for several years and budgets fluctuate all the time. Because a large portion of funding comes from the state, they base the amount of funding you get on total system enrollment. When that enrollment goes down.... the funding goes down. Budgets for school systems increase and decrease all the time.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Budgets are cut in school systems all the time in Tennessee. I have worked in Tennessee public schools for several years and budgets fluctuate all the time. Because a large portion of funding comes from the state, they base the amount of funding you get on total system enrollment. When that enrollment goes down.... the funding goes down. Budgets for school systems increase and decrease all the time.

Looking back I didn't explain what I was saying well enough. The budget increases I am referring to would be a line item increase from the city / county budget the school system is funded from. Example: School XYZ is asking for 10 new school buses this fiscal year. The city / county governing body approves to buy those buses as a single purchase from, let's say, general fund. Then next year the school system would not receive the funding for 10 more buses (unless of course the governing body voted to do the same thing again). Now if school XYZ is slick enough or if the governing body is dim enough to increase a line item in the schools budget for the same dollar amount the buses cost then that increase cannot be reduced the next or any other subsequent year. State funding does fluctuate according to enrollment and attendance but the rice and beans budget at the local level has mandatory increases and if there are increases beyond the mandatory ones they cannot be reduced.

Looking back I didn't explain what I was saying well enough. The budget increases I am referring to would be a line item increase from the city / county budget the school system is funded from. Example: School XYZ is asking for 10 new school buses this fiscal year. The city / county governing body approves to buy those buses as a single purchase from, let's say, general fund. Then next year the school system would not receive the funding for 10 more buses (unless of course the governing body voted to do the same thing again). Now if school XYZ is slick enough or if the governing body is dim enough to increase a line item in the schools budget for the same dollar amount the buses cost then that increase cannot be reduced the next or any other subsequent year. State funding does fluctuate according to enrollment and attendance but the rice and beans budget at the local level has mandatory increases and if there are increases beyond the mandatory ones they cannot be reduced.

I see what you are saying and agree with you. However, in your previous post you did not make the distinction between state funding and local funding. As is the case with most schools, state funding is the vast majority of funding for public school systems in TN and this causes budgets to fluctuate all the time. And causes local governments to make decisions that effect schools such as the proposed tax increase for Midway.

People in Roane County is sick and tired of the schools wasting money. They need to manage the money better. If Midway does close it's the school board fault

Maybe they need an alternate plan like cutting the pay of the Super and other administrators.

I see what you are saying and agree with you. However, in your previous post you did not make the distinction between state funding and local funding. As is the case with most schools, state funding is the vast majority of funding for public school systems in TN and this causes budgets to fluctuate all the time. And causes local governments to make decisions that effect schools such as the proposed tax increase for Midway.

Yeah. . . That's why I said looking back I didn't explain what I was saying well enough & went on to do so. Midway is not asking for state funding. The county is facing a potential tax increase to increase the LOCAL contribution. That can never be reduced even if after the fact the increase becomes surplus.

Couple of points.....1)roane county( not school system) pays oak ridge close to $200k to educate kids that live in roane county but go to oak ridge. 2) our county mayor struck a deal with Volkswagen to build a plant in roane county, part of that deal is no property taxes for 10 years. And by the way this plant employees more people from Loudon and Knox counties than from Roane due to its location.

And lastly, a huge part of the problem is our county has lost close to 300-400 students the last few years. This has cut down on state and federal funding. The kids move when parents move. Parents move when they can't find work. That's the job of the county mayor---to bring/recruit industry to provide jobs and tax money to run the schools and government.

How are these the school board's fault?

Edited by hopalot

Couple of points.....1)roane county( not school system) pays oak ridge close to $200k to educate kids that live in roane county but go to oak ridge. 2) our county mayor struck a deal with Volkswagen to build a plant in roane county, part of that deal is no property taxes for 10 years. And by the way this plant employees more people from Loudon and Knox counties than from Roane due to its location.

And lastly, a huge part of the problem is our county has lost close to 300-400 students the last few years. This has cut down on state and federal funding. The kids move when parents move. Parents move when they can't find work. That's the job of the county mayor---to bring/recruit industry to provide jobs and tax money to run the schools and government.

Ron Woody is doing a great job as county mayor, he warned the school system last year this was going to happen and they did not listen and kept giving more raise more than the state required.

So he landed a VW plant & isn't recruiting jobs all at the same time? I don't get it but OK. Either way, so is Midway closed or cancelled varsity sports yet?

So he landed a VW plant & isn't recruiting jobs all at the same time? I don't get it but OK. Either way, so is Midway closed or cancelled varsity sports yet?

As we told you all, there not even talking about closing Midway now. All it was scare tactic by Gary Aytes and the school board to push people into thinking tax increase was only option

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/jul/10/roane-school-system-gets-budget-thats-15-million/