Noise Makers for '13 & 14 - All Divisions...

Sommers

Great example for those wanting to make noise in the final stretch, all weight classes... This at heavy involving the very best in the nation going down...

http://www.flowrestling.org/speaker/2639-Mike-McMullan/video/729236-Michael-McMullan-Northwestern-vs-Tony-Nelson-Minnesota

Shows the value in swift feet and excellent conditioning not in the 2nd, or 3rd, but OT

That Nelson loss was almost up there with Ruth/Dean.

Now for some who feel they just can't break through,,,, here's an example of where attitude, playing the mental game right can catapult you over the toughest of competitors like UTC's Bad Boy Mock...

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251262-Virginia-Duals/video/728914-UVAs-Nick-Sulzer-is-a-Bad-Boy

Edited by Sommers

Always a sweet victory for Hixson, happened in football thus part fall too...

control Red Bank Lions

By: Ward Gossett | January 15, 2014

Hixson High School moved a step closer to another state wrestling duals berth Tuesday with a forfeit-aided 55-15 victory at Red Bank.

The Wildcats (19-5) got 30 points on forfeit wins in five weight classes.

"We wrestled flat in spots. We weren't ready," Hixson coach Garrick Hall said. "It's hard to beat a team twice. We're so young in several places that it's hard to get them up. Red Bank has made massive improvements from the beginning of the year to the end of the year. It's a rising program."

Hixson thumped the Lions at the Thanksgiving weekend Heritage Duals.

The Wildcats also got extra points from Cederick Harris (113 pounds), Landon Goforth (160), McKenzie Martin (220) and Brody Gregory (285). Martin and Gregory had pins and Harris and Goforth scored technical falls.

The best match was at 170 pounds with Red Bank's Devin Crawl pulling out a 9-8 victory over Chris Nicholson with a takedown in the final eight seconds.

Hall was frustrated because Nicholson went up 8-7 with an escape with 10 seconds left.

"We've got to stop giving away close matches like this. He went to the state last year and was one match away from medaling," the coach said. "It's time for Chris to grow up."

Lions coach Shane Turner felt good.

"All week we've talked about learning to compete," he said. "Before, we'd get in tough spots in matches, come up against adversity and we'd fold up the tent. But tonight we competed. We were in two or three matches where we competed after being manhandled early in the season. I'm proud of the effort we got. They're better than us, but we did not just accept that. We battled and that's all I can ask."

He pointed to the 170-pound bout.

"That kind of heart and determination is what we have to have going into the postseason," Turner said. "It's going to come down at times not to who is the best wrestler but to the guy who will fight and scrap and claw to win. Devin gives up an escape (and the lead) with nine seconds left, and he comes back and finds a way to get the takedown. That's what I'm talking about when I talk about competing."

Red Bank earlier rolled over Brainerd, 45-12. The two Brainerd winners, each by pin, were Marcus McMillan, who bumped up to 195 pounds, and heavyweight Sedric Jordan.

Contact Ward Gossett at wgossett@timesfreepress.com or 423-886-4765. Follow him at Twitter.com/wardgossett.

Hey, coachT probably beat me to it , but it's right here too! Ward Gossett is quick to send his PR checks :)

Ahhhhh, just go back down to Georgia why don'tcha :)

could be wrong, but I believe I may have up to half of the posts in this thread though. I would hate to deprive anyone, just short of the all-time record of viewers.

since you're good at finding all the facts and verifying it, please do that for me :)

• Upvote 1

Congrats to Coach Cook and his Cookeville Cavaliers (I know a few of you may not appreciate, but this thread gets 500-1000 clicks per day, where these online articles get maybe 10 clicks from coachT's home)

COOKEVILLE WRESTLING: Cavs pull off big win over Beech

by From staff reports

20 hours ago | 95 views | 0 0 comments | 4 4 recommendations | email to a friend | print

HENDERSONVILLE — After a recent run of difficult weekend tournaments, the Cookeville wrestling team picked up a pair of quality wins Tuesday night, routing Lebanon 72-9 and holding off a strong Beech team 34-29 in a quad match at BHS that also included Kenwood.

“I was extremely proud of the boys and the way they wrestled,†said Cavaliers coach Scott Cook, whose team improved to 16-1 in match play. “They’ve been through quite a few tough situations in the past few weeks, coming back from break and jumping right back into two big, tough tournaments and getting beat up a little bit here and there. But they responded well last night. Beech is a quality program traditionally putting out state medalists and all-state wrestlers. To come out and wrestle hard and physical, and to fight through each match and pull out a win, it was a great night and I’m proud of them.â€

Against Beech, Lane Elkins (113-pound class) was pinned by Landon Butler in 3:07 following a double-forfeit at 106. Joe Hayden (126) got the Cavs on the board with a 9-4 victory, then Bronson Satterfield (132) lost an 8-3 decision to Tristan Hackett.

Cookeville (16-1) got consecutive wins at 138 and 145, as Tristan Strader pinned Jherian Maddox in 1:27, and Dalton Underwood edged Kyler Johnson in a 5-3 decision.

The Buccaneers bounced back with three wins of their own, as Scott Chaffin (152) lost by technical fall, Dylan Peters (160) was pinned by Michael King in 1:39, and Alec Shoemake (170) was narrowly edged 2-0 by Kaleb Rippy.

But the Cavaliers took the momentum with three-straight wins of their own. Tyler Pike (182) pinned Jordan Claybrooks in 1:59, Trenton Cumby (195) pinned Joe Johnson in 1:10, and Darren Houston (220) won an 11-2 major decision over Peyton Reinert.

Zach Dillon (285) lost by pin to Devol Whitfield in 1:24, and Justin Rogers (106) pinned Lian Valle in 1:58.

Beech (13-3) has been on the cusp of being ranked in the Tennessee high school wrestling coaches poll for much of the season.

Against Lebanon, the Blue Devils got their nine points with two early wins, but the Cavaliers rolled the rest of the way.

Hayden (126), Satterfield (132), Underwood (145), Chaffin (152), Shoemake (170), Alex Thurmond (182), Houston (220) and Dillon (285) all won by pin. Elkins (120) won a minor decision, Strader (138) won a major decision), Peters (160) won by forfeit and Cumby (195) won by technical fall.

The Cavaliers have a busy rest of the week, as they are scheduled to travel to Oakland Thursday in a match that also includes Franklin County. They’re also set to host Siegel on Friday at the J.J. Miller Wrestling Room, with weigh-ins at 5 p.m. and the match starting at 6 p.m.

Read more: Herald Citizen - Cavs pull off big win over Beech

Edited by Sommers