Noise Makers for '13 & 14 - All Divisions...

Sommers

REGION WRESTLING DUALS ARE THURSDAY

22 Jan 2014 Written by Maurice Patton | mopatton@tennessean.com Print Email

A number of regional wrestling duals tournaments are scheduled for today as teams move toward next weekend's state duals.

The top two teams advance to the state tournament out of Class AAA, and the champion advances out of Class A/AA.

The pairings are:

7-A/AA at Eagleville -- 5 p.m.: Eagleville vs. Forrest, Fairview vs. Page.

8-A/AA at East Nashville -- 5 p.m.: Hume-Fogg vs. East Nashville; M.L. King vs. Hume-Fogg-East Nashville winner.

5-AAA at Tullahoma -- 6 p.m.: Blackman-Cookeville loser vs. Tullahoma, Coffee Co. vs. Blackman-Cookeville winner.

(Noticed Al Miller Jr. Way up in the Blackman stands with some rough looking dudes there scouting & strategizing tonight:-) )

6-AAA at Overton -- 5 p.m.: Brentwood vs. Overton, McGavock vs. Ravenwood.

7-AAA at Wilson Central -- 6 p.m.: West Creek vs. Wilson Central, Beech vs. Clarksville.

White House won the Region 6-A/AA title Tuesday, defeating Greenbrier in the final.

Division II-A will hold its region duals invitational tournament beginning at 10 a.m. Saturday at BGA. Participants include Ensworth, Pope John Paul II, FRA, DCA, St. Andrew's-Sewanee, Knoxville Webb and BGA.

Edited by Sommers

Another Gannett Update....

BHS wrestling edges out Centennial, Summit for regional berth

Published: January 22, 2014

The Brentwood High and Summit wrestling teams traveled to Centennial Tuesday night to decide which squad will earn a berth in the Region 6-AAA duals tournament. All three teams entered the meet tied for second in the district behind Ravenwood. Only the top two teams in each district advance to regionals.

Brentwood started off the evening defeating Summit 56-18. Following the decisive victory, BHS squared off with Centennial for the final regional spot.After 12 matches, the Bruins and Cougars were tied at 30 with two matches to go.Both teams' regional fates rested in the 160 and 170 lb weight classes.In 160, Brentwood's Carson Croy took on Centennial's Jackson Biedenbach. The match went the distance as Croy won by a 7-2 decision to give the Bruins a 33-30 edge.With a three-point advantage, all Brentwood needed was a victory in 170 to secure its tournament berth. Stepping up for the Bruins was Dmitry Searle. Wrestling for the Cougars was Steven Fuller.After 3:18, Searle pinned Fuller to give BHS a 39-30 victory and a berth in the regional tourney.The Bruins will face Overton, while Ravenwood takes on McGavock. The winners will face each other to decide the region.The Region 6-AAA tournament is at John Overton High School on Thursday. The meet will begin at 5 p.m.RESULTSBrentwood 56 - Summit 18170: Dmitry Searle (Brentwood) pinned Dylan Wingerter (Summit) 2:43. 182: Aaron Mitchell (Summit) dec. over Ben Kazmiercwics (Brentwood) 14-11. 195: Tanner Holliman (Brentwood) pinned Ruben Ladron (Summit) 0:53. 220: Antonio Hamilton (Summit) pinned Mason Wood (Brentwood) 0:30. 285: Paul Hunt (Brentwood) pinned Hunter Hancock (Summit) 3:55. 106: Brady Woodward (Summit) pinned Brandon Hassenpflug (Brentwood) 5:42. 113: Tristan Roa (Brentwood) tech. fall Sean Butler (Summit) 18-1. 120: Chip Brothers (Brentwood) pinned Kyle Kish (Summit) 1:45. 126: Esteban Remillard (Summit) dec. over Jacob Smartt (Brentwood) 5-4. 132: Christian Sunderland (Brentwood) pinned Steven Tierney (Summit) 1:24. 138: William Dozier (Brentwood) pinned Kobey Desselle (Summit) 3:26. 145: Colby Forsythe (Brentwood) won by forfeit over Unknown). 152: Luke Hamilton (Brentwood) won by pin over Mark Sweeney (Summit) 1:43. 160: Carson Croy (Brentwood) won by decision over Chris Bartol (Summit) 13-6.

Brentwood 39 - Centennial 30182: DeVonte Walker (Centennial) major dec. over Ben Kazmiercwicz (Brentwood) 13-5. 195: Tarrick Walker (Centennial) pinned Mason Wood (Brentwood) 3:00. 220: Tanner Holliman (Brentwood) pinned Bryce Whitman (Centennial) 1:56. 285: Paul Hunt (Brentwood) dec. over Kenneth Hall (Centennial) 2-0. 106: Adam Fuller (Centennial) pinned Brandon Hassenpflug (Brentwood) 1:50. 113: Tristan Roa (Brentwood) won by forfeit over unknown. 120: Frank Brown (Centennial) dec. over Jacob Smartt (Brentwood) 13-11. 126: Chip Brothers (Brentwood) pinned Zack Wishiowski (Centennial) 1:03. 132: Christian Sunderland (Brentwood) dec. over Nathan Brown (Centennial) 6-4. 138: Drew Welch (Centennial) tech. fall over William Dozier (Brentwood) 16-1. 145: Brandon Patton (Centennial) pinned Colby Forsythe (Brentwood) 5:59. 152: Luke Hamilton (Brentwood) pinned Taylor Pate (Centennial) 0:38. 160: Carson Croy (Brentwood) dec. over Jackson Biedenbach (Centennial) 7-2. 170: Dmitry Searle (Brentwood) pinned Steven Fuller (Centennial) 3:18.

COOKEVILLE WRESTLING: Cavs lose close match to Blaze, second in 10-AAA

by From Herald-Citizen staff reports 8 hours ago | 218 views | 0  | 2  |  | 

MURFREESBORO — The Cookeville wrestling team wrapped up the regular season with a split in a tough match at Blackman, as the Cavaliers were edged 36-30 by the No. 11-ranked Blaze in a tightly contested match and they beat La Vergne 42-22.

The Cavs (20-2) finish the regular season second in District 10-AAA, and will travel to Tullahoma to face the host Wildcats in the semifinals of the Region 5-AAA duals tonight at 6 p.m. Blackman takes on Coffee County in the other semifinal.

“We definitely would have liked to have won (against Blackman) last night,†Cookeville coach Scott Cook said. “We’re sitting in a little tougher spot right now having to go against Tullahoma in the first round. They’re a good team, and we’re gonna have to wrestle hard to get past them. If we do get past them, we’ve got a great situation with Blackman. We’ve wrestled them once already, we know exactly who’s gonna be where, and there’s not many changes they can make to their lineup and we’ve got a couple of things we can do.â€

The top two teams advance to the state duals; should the Cavs advance, it would mark their second appearance in the tournament, with the last coming during the 2009-10 season, also the last time they advanced to the region duals.

In Wednesday’s opener against Blackman, the Cavs fell in a quick hole as Ty Hammons (160-pound class) lost a 7-3 decision to Tyler Garrison and Alec Shoemake (170) lost an 8-0 major decision to Jevon Brown.

But Cookeville won three straight matches, as Tyler Pike (182) blanked Bo Blankenship in a 7-0 decision, Trenton Cumby (195) pinned Andre Bravo in 1:45, and Darren Houston shut out Dalton Cantrell in a 6-0 decision.

Blackman swung the momentum again, as Zach Dillon (285) was pinned by Austin Wells in 2:21, the Cavaliers forfeited at 106 to Jacob Kimbrough, and Justin Rogers (113) lost a 7-2 decision to Daniel Winters.

Lane Elkins (120) pinned Brandon Pierce in 3:49, but the Blaze got two more wins as Joe Hayden (126) lost a 17-6 major decision to Michael Brobeck and Bronson Satterfield (132) lost a 15-1 major decision to Ayinde Bakari.

Tristan Strader (138) pinned Juan Zavalla in 3:31, Scott Chaffin (145) lost by pin to Matthew Sells, and Dalton Underwood (152) pinned Austin Bishop-Pryor in 4:59 to wrap up the match.

If the Cavs are able to get past Tullahoma in the region semifinals, Cook feels good about their chances in a possible rematch against the Blaze, needing only to keep them from getting a few points by avoiding pins and in return getting some pins instead of decisions.

“We know the matches we have to win, and we know what we have to do in the matches that we lost to keep the score down,†Cook said. “Really, we’re sitting in a pretty good situation. We’ve just gotta get to the finals and make it happen.â€

In the finale against La Vergne, the Cavs and Wolverines split the first four matches in a contest that featured several different wrestlers for Cookeville. Alex Thurmond (170) won by forfeit, both teams forfeited at 182, and Ryan Hammons (195) pinned Andrew Franklin in 3:23 before Drew Gates (220) lost an 11-2 major decision to Evan Walker and Alan Richardson (285) was pinned in 1:28.

Rogers (106) won by forfeit, Cookeville forfeited to Dallas Bock at 113, and Elkins (120) won by forfeit.

Benji Stalvey (126) lost by pin to Justin Vance in 1:09, Cole Gentry (132) won by forfeit and Strader (138) pinned Kamron Holliman in just 43 seconds.

David Pierce won by pin in 1:05, and with the match in hand the Cavaliers forfeited at 152 and 160.

published Friday, January 24th, 2014

Cleveland, Soddy-Daisy advance to state duals

by Ward Gossett

The anticipated winners came through and advanced to the Tennessee State Duals next Friday in Franklin, but not without a few palpitations.

Bradley Central closed to within 23-22 of defending state champion Cleveland before the Blue Raiders put the match away 39-22, and Soddy-Daisy had to overcome a 20-point deficit to secure a 40-32 victory over Walker Valley in the Region 4 wrestling semifinals Thursday at Ooltewah.

"I actually felt good," Cleveland coach Jake Yost said. "We wrestled better in most of the matches that we did last time. I feel like we're continuing to progress and feel good about where we are heading into next weekend."

Said Bradley Central coach Ben Smith: "Congrats to Cleveland and Soddy-Daisy. We had to reverse some losses from our last meet and win some close ones. We did what we could."

There was no championship match, Soddy-Daisy deciding to forfeit. The Trojans had some issues with illness, and coach Jim Higgins felt there was nothing to gain by wrestling the match.

"We're region champs and get a top seed next week. They have to do what's best for them," Yost said.

"We decided earlier in the week," Higgins said. "I don't know that we were ready for that. Austin Houser wrestled a good match, but he's had a viral infection and hasn't been to practice all week. We were concerned about him being here."

Soddy-Daisy jumped to a 12-0 lead but then allowed Walker Valley a six-match run that resulted in a 32-12 Mustangs advantage. However, the Trojans won the last six including key pins from Jacob McClure, Emory Holcome and technical falls from Tucker Russo and Gage Richmond.

"Walker Valley is a different team from what we saw early in the year. They're a force to be reckoned with," Higgins said. "Nothing good comes from panic, but I was nervous. Any time you're on the ropes you get nervous, especially when you're a team that likes to be in control. I guess some of our guys got caught up in the scenery."

It's the second year in a row that Walker Valley has had to wrestle Soddy-Daisy in a region semifinal. Last year the Mustangs lost to the Trojans by just three points.

"Soddy-Daisy may be state duals champs. We don't know," Mustangs coach Alan Morris said. "But we just battled them well. We're in the toughest region in the state, and I think teams in this tournament would represent any region in the state well."

Contact Ward Gossett at wgossett@timesfreepress.com or 423-886-4765. Follow him at Twitter.com/wardgossett.

For Region Title, Headed Back To State

Originally published: 2014-01-24 11:46:11Last modified: 2014-01-24 11:46:56

BY TATE RUSSELL SUN SPORTS WRITER With two huge wins on Thursday night the Greeneville wrestling team earned a chance to defend its state title next week in Franklin. The Greene Devils started the evening by beating Happy Valley 69-12 in the Region 1-A/AA semifinals and capped off an impressive evening with a 67-6 win over West Greene to claim the region championship. "It's awesome to get to go back to state," Greeneville senior Jon Boatman said. "I was nervous going into it but now I don't know why I had any doubts. We had people that lost to West Greene last week that came out and got a pin tonight. Everybody showed up tonight to get the win." Greeneville will travel to Franklin next Friday in hopes of repeating as state champions. "No team in Region 1 has ever been to state in back-to-back years. Now we get to go two years in a row and defend our state title," Greeneville coach Randy Shelton said. "It's great for our program to get some momentum going. It's great for my young guys to see what this level of competition is like."

Blaze win with forfeit at Region 5-AAA wrestling meet

Jan. 23, 2014

Written by

Kenneth Schott

DNJ Correspondent

Region 5-AAA Duals

Blackman 33, Cookeville 21

106: Kimbrough B forfeit. 113: Winters B d. Rodgers 7-2. 120: Elkins C m.d. Pierce 18-5. 126: Hayden C d. Brobeck 7-5. 132: Bakari B d. Strader 6-0. 138: Underwood C d. Apland B 5-0. 145: Sells B p. Chaffin C 0:36.152: Underwood C m.d. Bishop B 13-5. 160: Hammons B d. Morrison C 6-3. 170: Blankenship B p. Pike C. 195: Cumby C p. Bravo B. 220: Houston C d. Cantrell B 6-0.285: Wells B p. Dillion C.

TULLAHOMA — The scoreboard showed Blackman trailing 27-21 when Blackman heavyweight wrestler Austin Wells stepped onto the wrestling mat against Cookeville’s Zach Dillion.

Wells pinned Dillion to tie the match, then the Blaze picked up six points at 103 pounds due to a forfeit to win the Region 5-AAA Duals on Thursday night at Tullahoma High.

The win clinched Blackman’s fourth straight TSSAA State Duals berth. Blackman will compete in the state duals beginning Jan. 31 at the Williamson County Ag & Expo Center.

“I’ve wrestled quite a bit now, and it’s not the first time a lot of pressure’s been on me,†said Wells. “So I’m kind of used to it. I didn’t want to let my team down. I knew what I needed to do, I knew what I could do, and I went out and did it.â€

It was the fourth pin for Blackman in the match. Bo Blankenship pinned his opponent Tyler Pike in the 170 weight class.

Matthew Sells won in the 145 class and Jevon Brown won by pin in the 182 class.

“I saw my teammates cheering for me, and I knew I had to do it,†said Blankenship, who had gotten injured in the semifinal match against Coffee County, yet gutted it out to get the pin.

“It was huge,†said Blackman coach Ronnie Bray. “We had the math done all the way to the 182 match. We know if Bo did not get pinned, we knew that Austin Wells would do what he was supposed to do, and we would get the forfeit (in the 106 class), so we knew we were going to win – and it worked out.â€

The Cavaliers battled for points throughout the match, winning matches in the 120, 126, 138 and 152 classes by outscoring Blackman in the wrestling matches. Cookeville’s only pin was at the 195 class, when Trenton Cumby won by pin over Andre Bravo.

Blackman defeated Coffee County 54-24 in the semi-finals. Jacob Kimbrough (106), Daniel Winters (113), Brandon Pierce (120), Michael Brobeck (126), Matthew Sells (152), Andre Bravo (195), Dalton Cantrell(220) and Austin Wells (285) won by pin. Austin Bishop won by a 9-8 score in the 160-pound class and Juan Zavala won by a 6-2 score at 145.

Here is some superb commentary from the hobbling Ward Gossett who got a New Knee a few weeks ago...

published Saturday, January 25th, 2014

Baylor wrestlers rally to nip McCallie

share email print font size by Ward Gossett

Baylor's Weston Jarnagin wrestles McCalli's Stanton Davis in the 106-pound weight class at the Blue Tornado's home gym on Friday.

Baylor's Weston Jarnagin wrestles McCalli's Stanton Davis in the 106-pound weight class at the Blue Tornado's home gym on Friday.

Photo by Dan Henry.

In old-school fashion with a good measure of rough-and-tumble like that taught for years by Luke Worsham and Dave Spencer, Baylor and McCallie went toe-to-toe in wresling Friday night.

Before hundreds who flocked to McCallie's standing-room-only gym, favored Baylor rallied by winning five of the last six matches for a 31-30 victory and extended its win streak over the Blue Tornado to double digits. In taking their 10th consecutive victory, the Red Raiders rebounded from a deficit that reached 19 points.

"The atmosphere, the enthusiam -- there are very few wrestling events like this in the country, and we're very fortunate to be a part of it," Baylor coach Ben Nelson said.

"It was an exciting match and that's what you want -- like the state duals last year when we'd score and then they'd score," McCallie coach Mike Newman added.

The crown jewel in the victory came from Baylor sophomore Ryan Parker, a defending state champion whose 3-2 decision avenged a McCallie Invitational loss to defending state champion Nathan Hoodenpyle. The victory came on a penalty point, awarded to Parker when Hoodenpyle was penalized for fleeing the mat to avoid a takedown.

"Going into the match I was thinking revenge. I don't have anything against the kid, but he beat me," Parker said. "We were down and I knew I needed to win. That's all that mattered to me. It made my team happy, but I didn't want to win on a penalty point. I wanted the takedown."

That wasn't the only matchup of former state champions. In another of the critical matches, Baylor's Tate Robinson (a TSSAA champion for Christian Brothers in 2011) won 6-4 in overtime over McCallie's Adam Connell, who in three weeks will be shooting for his third state title.

"The kids for both teams gave everything they had for their team. That's what you want to see," Newman said. "They came out on top tonight, but there's a lot more wrestling to do and I feel really good about where we're at right now."

Baylor won eight of the 14 bouts and might have won a couple more if the Red Raiders coaches hadn't decided to hold out 113-pound Michael Murphy and 195-pound Emory Norred because of injuries.

"We didn't wrestle well as a team. We got out of a great dual meet against a great team with a win," Nelson said. "We had a couple of guys that stepped up and carried the team."

McCallie made the most of its opportunities with bonus points in four of its six wins -- pins from Addison Cornell (113) and Griffin Davis (145), a technical fall from Ethan Dendy (120) and a major decision from James Westbrook (126).

"I thought every kid really fought hard and gave their best effort," Newman said. "In a setting like this it's real easy to get caught up in all the hype, but I thought our kids came out focused."

Baylor's much-needed bonus points came in a flurry -- consecutive pins from Donovan Sutherland (152), Bryson Popp (160) and Cayman Seagraves (170) to set the stage for Parker's heroics.

"We knew we had our horses sitting there for the last few matches," Nelson said. "Those guys have been doing that all year. It's unfortunate we have to rely on them to do that, but they stepped up and did it again."

Baylor lost a team point after the final bout when Parker celebrated just a little too much while still on the mat. He was somewhat put out with himself, but Nelson said afterward that his celebration might have been one of the few times such a display was "warranted."

However, Nelson immediately followed by saying it would be discussed in the near future.

Contact Ward Gossett at wgossett@timesfreepress.com or 423-886-4765. Follow him at Twitter.com/wardgossett.