Coffee County 2013

daniel102081

Well if Mr Davis's record is a sign of a good coach then you are correct. If you think his record is one of a good coach you sir have no clue what a good Coach is. It is with sadness in my heart that I have to advise you that Mr. Davis does not even deserve the title Coach let alone Head Coach.

You have not taken into account that he has not totally had a graduating class that was his from the beginning, a change of Regions overnight, or the fact the QB he was counting on going to another school.  Add to this an administration that is not supporting the weight program he had at R'dale and NEEDS/wants at CC.

Until that happens even Bear Bryant would have a hard time winning consistently.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have not taken into account that he has not totally had a graduating class that was his from the beginning, a change of Regions overnight, or the fact the QB he was counting on going to another school.  Add to this an administration that is not supporting the weight program he had at R'dale and NEEDS/wants at CC.

Until that happens even Bear Bryant would have a hard time winning consistently.

I admire you taking up for your friend, son, or whatever relationship you have with Coach Davis. But to blame losing to Stone Memorial (sorry SM) on leaving the worst district in the history of  Tennessee athletics, an 8th grader choosing a different school 3 YEARS AGO, or a weight program (they lift almost everyday in the off season don't they? are there magical weights we don't have?) makes you look very foolish.

Edited by PEARLBALL

I admire you taking up for your friend, son, or whatever relationship you have with Coach Davis. But to blame losing to Stone Memorial (sorry SM) on leaving the worst district in the history of  Tennessee athletics, an 8th grader choosing a different school 3 YEARS AGO, or a weight program (they lift almost everyday in the off season don't they? are there magical weights we don't have?) makes you look very foolish.

The 'weight' program at R'dale consisted of lifting EVERYDAY for their PE class. This was supervised lifting as the football team had two sessions everyday. The administration arranged it for their class schedules. Just lifting in the off season does not get it.

As to my 'relationship' there is none other than knowing him for the time he coached my son during his freshman year. Having met and gotten to know him and his wife, you can bet the farm their concern is with the team being good MEN first and football players second.

Now if YOU lifted for at least an hour everyday, how would it make you look?

BTW even in the 'dead period' players who wanted to START found a way to make it to one of two gyms to lift that was arranged for by 'somebody'. This included the spring, fall, and even the Christmas break if they didn't win the Gold Ball!

Now how foolish do I look now?

• 3 weeks later...

In season lifting is a must if you want to compete with the teams CC is playing, but six turnovers and 5 first downs cant be blamed on a teams in-season weight lifting program.

It DOES have a direct relationship in that they are stronger to hang on to it.  As to the 'first downs', a stronger O-line helps move folks out of the way for a strong ground game and the ability to hold up folks so even a moderately good QB has time to throw.

Y'all MUST have a year round weight lifting program to win consistently.

• 2 weeks later...

It DOES have a direct relationship in that they are stronger to hang on to it.  As to the 'first downs', a stronger O-line helps move folks out of the way for a strong ground game and the ability to hold up folks so even a moderately good QB has time to throw.

Y'all MUST have a year round weight lifting program to win consistently.

LOD I understand you have a prior relationship with Lee and I can respect that. But I think you have received some bad information. Most all athletes at Central High School have weight lifting classes and there is a state of the art weightroom next to the practice field that is available for the football teams use everyday they want it. Lee Davis has all the control over that weight program that he wants. But just like most other things in the program, he hasn't asserted any control here. The problems with this football program go to the bone and this only scratches the surface. One big problem is Lee never bought into this football program or this community and, in return, this football program and this community never bought into Lee. He failed to establish an atmosphere of discipline from the foundation and that has hampered the ability to build anything. Not just messy locker rooms, but embarrassing locker rooms, loose attendance requirements (of himself and players), back talking, lackadaisical practice atmospheres  - all of that started his first year and he did not learn from these mistakes. This lack of discipline has shown off the field with off-the-field problems. He has not shown much concern for his players' personal well-being and character development. His only concern is: "can they play Friday night." ... He has first string players who have suffered head and neck injuries in the game with five seconds to play in blowout losses and his answer to why they weren't removed: "I can't take them out they won't let me." That kind of says it all, doesn't it? Who won't let him take them out? The players? Who runs this program?  Because of that he has set the tone for what this football program has become, which is the worst 6A football team in the state of Tennessee according to playoff power rankings. Coffee County has never been a football power and contrary to what people want to think, never will be. But a .500 team most years with a few special groups to take this team to 7-3 or 8-2 on rare occasions is very feasible. As long as Lee was here it was never going to happen. He may be a good OC, but he is not ready to commit the time to be a HC at this level. I wish him well in his future endeavors. I hope he lands somewhere where he can learn the ropes a little more before he gets another HC job. 

Edited by pedo_29

LOD I understand you have a prior relationship with Lee and I can respect that. But I think you have received some bad information. Most all athletes at Central High School have weight lifting classes and there is a state of the art weightroom next to the practice field that is available for the football teams use everyday they want it. Lee Davis has all the control over that weight program that he wants. But just like most other things in the program, he hasn't asserted any control here. The problems with this football program go to the bone and this only scratches the surface. One big problem is Lee never bought into this football program or this community and, in return, this football program and this community never bought into Lee. He failed to establish an atmosphere of discipline from the foundation and that has hampered the ability to build anything. Not just messy locker rooms, but embarrassing locker rooms, loose attendance requirements (of himself and players), back talking, lackadaisical practice atmospheres  - all of that started his first year and he did not learn from these mistakes. This lack of discipline has shown off the field with off-the-field problems. He has not shown much concern for his players' personal well-being and character development. His only concern is: "can they play Friday night." ... He has first string players who have suffered head and neck injuries in the game with five seconds to play in blowout losses and his answer to why they weren't removed: "I can't take them out they won't let me." That kind of says it all, doesn't it? Who won't let him take them out? The players? Who runs this program?  Because of that he has set the tone for what this football program has become, which is the worst 6A football team in the state of Tennessee according to playoff power rankings. Coffee County has never been a football power and contrary to what people want to think, never will be. But a .500 team most years with a few special groups to take this team to 7-3 or 8-2 on rare occasions is very feasible. As long as Lee was here it was never going to happen. He may be a good OC, but he is not ready to commit the time to be a HC at this level. I wish him well in his future endeavors. I hope he lands somewhere where he can learn the ropes a little more before he gets another HC job.

Did not know those things. Thanks. Now some things are making sense.

Good luck next year, whoever is in charge.

BTW, Coffee County could be a power. The possibility is there just like it is in Tullahoma.

Just got to harness all that energy circling Sonic in the afternoons.

• 5 months later...

BTW, Coffee County could be a power. The possibility is there just like it is in Tullahoma.

Coach O performs consistently year in and year out with less talent than many other area schools.

Good program? Yes. A statewide power? The best Bill Price could conjure up was a 7-win season. Coffee County could be a solid program and achieve success much like Cookeville has, but some major things would have to change for them to a team to contend with on a yearly basis. Not even really football related issues. Behind every great football program is a administration that does everything in its power to support them