I'm Back!

ELA

What will be done about the current system involving Maryville.

The way I see it, it's like having mercenaries almost. You can have kids go to your school for free and they can be very talented...this is not the same as a private school, where kids must pay three times the amount kids would do at Maryville...VG said 1800...at many private schools the number is closer to 6000.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are taking about Maryville as if they were a small rural school. They are not! Most people are talking of 1 school system per county. That means to get kids outside their zone they would have to travel upwards of 30 miles. Not likely to happen in these economiclly pressed rural areas. Please quit comparing Maryville and the like to schools like Perry Co., Lewis Co., etc... I agree with the point what is good for the goose.... but you are comparing an apple to apple pie. One is small and alone, the other has more and is much sweeter.

[Edited by imasoftballer on 11-4-02 8:48A]

Posted by imasoftballer:

You are taking about Maryville as if they were a small rural school. They are not! Most people are talking of 1 school system per county. That means to get kids outside their zone they would have to travel upwards of 30 miles. Not likely to happen in these economiclly pressed rural areas. Please quit comparing Maryville and the like to schools like Perry Co., Lewis Co., etc... I agree with the point what is good for the goose.... but you are comparing an apple to apple pie. One is small and alone, the other has more and is much sweeter.

[Edited by imasoftballer on 11-4-02 8:48A]

But dont all the rules have to apply to all schools, because if they dont its a lawsuit waiting to happen. So you have to use school systems like Memphis or Maryville right along with the privates to make examples. This is a much larger issue than 1a publics schools.

Softballer,

Please note that VG refers to South Greene (2A in FB and AA in all other sports) in his post about open zoning issues. South Greene is one of at least four county and one city schools in Greene County, but their success in athletics, especially women's basketball, has made them very attractive to "out of zone" students. They could hardly be described as a large county school.

Guest vagrant

The fact is that no matter the level of competition, someone will always have an advantage. Seemingly the private schools do now, but it is important to note that not all privates share this advantage (i.e. Lighthouse Christian). No two schools are exactly the same. I am not against leveling the playing field in some manner, but the wholesale exclusion of private schools does not resolve the issue. As this messageboard attests, trying to decide which publics have the same unfair advantage is difficult, if not impossible. Has anyone considered how the privates will react if excluded by the TSSAA? You think things are bad now? Please consider a new private school organization (you know they won't stay in a system that doesn't allow them to compete) without any rules regarding recruiting, financial aid, eligibility, or anything else. Don't tell me the best athletes in the state won't consider going to a free private school because they don't compete against publics. The best thing is for everybody, public and private, to be in one division with new regulations that successfully level the field somewhat. Regardless of what happens, someone will still posess an advantage over other schools.

Softballer...

As someone said, the small rural schools are really hurt by what goes on by 1a privates...

UNFORTUNATELY small 1a rural schools are just that...

They are 1a

They are small

And they are rural

They have the least say so in the matter, and if we are going to change all 8 classifications for a few hand picked schools who are struggling, and will continue to struggle if we go to a 3a system, then we need more reasons to justify this. Bringing Maryville and the Memphis schools into this debate, as well as magnet schools, private schools, and anyone else, in my humble opinion, is ok because we all play each other, and more importantly, this effects all of us.